Butternut Squash...

Old October 20th 04, 10:03 AM
Carol In WI

Default Butternut Squash...

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

Old October 20th 04, 12:35 PM
SlinkyToy

I prefer to use it fresh, but it cans and freezes well. Cook it prior
to doing either.

Old October 20th 04, 12:53 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:35:51 GMT, SlinkyToy
wrote:

I prefer to use it fresh, but it cans and freezes well. Cook it prior
to doing either.

Isn't squash one of those low-acid vegetables that has to be canned in
a pressure cooker?

wrote:

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 20th 04, 01:01 PM
GSHEPDOG

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

Hi:

I usually bake it, mash it and add brown sugar or maple syrup. Then I freeze
it in ziploc bags in one or two meal servings. It freezes very well.

HTH

Lee

Old October 20th 04, 01:31 PM
Michelle

Carol In WI wrote in message
Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

When my children were still small enough for baby food, I'd bake it, peel
it, then mash it and freeze it in little cubes (ice-cube trays). After
defrosting, I'd either mash it with milk for whomever was a baby at the
time, or use brown sugar for anyone else. Most winter squashes are great
for this.

I've never canned it, but I'd guess it'd work fine.

Michelle

--
Michelle in St. John's
NL, Canada

Old October 20th 04, 08:55 PM
Carol In WI

I've cooked it completely and canned it, I also blanched it and frozen it
and it still wasn't good. Carol In WI

Old October 24th 04, 08:55 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Carol I have not frozen it raw but often frozen it cooked - just for the fun
of it I must add that we call it a butternut pumpkin - all red flesh things
of this kind are pumpkins here - squash are things with yellow flesh. God
Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly