Bill Rasmussen class Day 1

Old November 23rd 03, 05:35 AM
Karen_AZ

Default Bill Rasmussen class Day 1

Hi everyone! It's late and my brain is nearly numb but I really wanted to
check in.

Our first day of class was incredible! Bill is a great teacher, a real
treasure and an awesome artist. While I'm not really focused on making human
figures or Disney-esque critters, the techniques are sooo valuable. And what
a rush to make my first offhand leaf! G

We started out doing simple joins and separations. Sounds a lot easier than
it was, especially separations. (Oh, and this is all borosilicate glass,
MUCH bigger than I'm used to--8 & 10 mm and 1/2 inch rod). Then we made a
round on the end of a rod, puntied it and pulled it off. I might finally
have enough, ummmm "marbles" to make a few of my own. We took a marble and
heated it, flattened it, and pulled it out to a point (aka a leaf). Then we
took THAT lesson, with a larger rod, and made a torso.....then hips...then
legs...all the way to a human body (legs together, one crease and voila!) I
never would've believed I could make something even remotely human-looking,
but Bill made it easy!

There were a lot of intermediate steps, like practicing how to attach and
make legs and arms, too. And after our bodies, we learned a "double-pull,
double-push" method to make wings and other useful embellishments. Bill
ended the day with a demonstration of a character-styled centaur, complete
with bow and arrow. The arrow blew me away...another student made it (a mere
19-YO)....it was a rosebud with a thorned stem in colored boro. Just
incredible to watch Bill work AND share.

And I had a nifty flashback...I realized I've seen Bill work twice when I
was a kid...in Disneyland and again at Ghiradelli Square. I can remember
seeing him and wishing I could maybe someday EVER be able to do something so
awesome. Who says dreams can't come true????

Can't wait til tomorrow.

In the morning I'll post a pic of my almost-human sculpture. Too sleepy now.
Niters everyone!

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old November 23rd 03, 01:42 PM
BeckiBead

Karen -- glad you are having so much FUN and learning too!

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 23rd 03, 02:58 PM
Karen_AZ

Good morning!

I'm a little more capable this morning, so I've uploaded the pic I took of
my little figure. She's about 8" long and yes, art imitates life,
figure-wise (except I'd KILL to have a waist like that!).

She's very basic, her feet are awful but still I can't believe I made her!

http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/1stFigure.jpg

Off for day two.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:39 PM
Cheryl

Karen

ask him if he remebers RALPH SINGER....
my friend the glassblower
Ralph worked at Disney for a few years too.
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old November 23rd 03, 03:57 PM
Carol in SLC

I can't believe I made her!

http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/1stFigure.jpg

WTG, Karen! Sounds like you're having a great time and learning a lot, too!

Carol in SLC
My latest creation (11/12): http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/rock.jpg
Old November 23rd 03, 04:29 PM
Tink

Oh Karen! I am so happy for you! I love that you remember seeing him when
you were a child...

--
Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Now offering private lampworking instruction!
http://snurl.com/2pun for auctions...

Old November 23rd 03, 04:41 PM
Tink

....and I forgot to say how ROCKIN' that figure is!!!! You're turning into a
regular ol' Milon Townsend!!!

Old November 24th 03, 01:35 PM
meijhana

wow, and if that was the "learner" model...wait til you make the "real"
ones...I want one!!!

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.

Old November 24th 03, 02:44 PM
Karen_AZ

Cheryl, I'm so sorry, I didn't read this until I got home last night so I
didn't get to ask Bill. I will next time I see him, though.

My RAW bracelet class JL Amerson Beads 4 November 3rd 03 05:09 PM
PMC class - report KDK Beads 4 October 18th 03 07:15 PM
PMC class - report KDK Beads 0 October 17th 03 03:32 AM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM
Checking in and glass class report. KDK Beads 10 August 23rd 03 05:53 AM