Favorite stitching place thought....

Old September 5th 03, 02:26 AM
Cozit/Liz

Default Favorite stitching place thought....

Labor Day Monday at the Maryland Renaissance Festival was incredibly hot
(ok, so I know the temp. *could* have been higher, but..) and humid (um,
there's just something about 100% humidity with no sign of rain in
sight). The poor EMTs who were manning our first aid booth had to start
running before the gates even opened (though I *think* I heard that that
person wasn't down because of heat reasons, though it was oppressive
enough already).

Having said all that... I consider myself extremely fortunate this
year, working at MDRF. I actually get paid (not huge amounts, but it's
the only money I actually earn myself all year right now) to spend time
with a group of people who are happy to pitch in with just about
anything that is needed (this year's group in the re-enactment guild is
amazing), am fed very good food (our wonderful "cook" and the assistant
guildleader are providing small feasts for us on very little per person
contributions, get to demonstrate my stitching (I've had a few who were
interested, though haven't been able to get anyone to try their hand
yet... early in the season though), and all of it in beautiful wooded
surroundings.

To top that off, on Monday the group Gypsophilia stopped by (with two
bellydancers who were working with them) to visit and entertain us for a
short while. So, on top of the general surroundings (and that was one
of the few times during the day when it wasn't quite as deathly hot as
others...), I had the opportunity to stitch in good company and with not
only that good company, but enjoyable music, and the entertainment of
the dancers on top of it all.

*g* I love that job!
-Liz

Old September 5th 03, 03:03 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Cozit/Liz
writes:

I love that job!

I can tell!

My high school best friend was very active in SCA as a young adult.
Unfortunately, when my husband found out the dress code, he wasn't interested
in joining, and I couldn't justify yet another club that cut into our
already-limited time together (nor the time/expense of making garb).

There are very good Renaissance fairs nearby in Fair Oaks and Novato, but
couldn't interest DH in going even as a spectator.

--
Finished 7/4/03 -- Army Wife
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old September 5th 03, 04:00 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

Hi Liz,

I hope to get to the Fest tomorrow. I will keep an eye open for you. I
especially want to find to shop that is selling the hair sticks (maybe
something with a cat on it ;-]). The weather is suppose to be great this
weekend which means the Fest will probably be packed. My plan, get there
before the gates open and get past the clog of humanity that never seems to
leave the area around the first few shops. I like to get to the back of the
grounds and work my way forward. I find the vendors in those back areas
have much more time to talk about their stuff when you get to them before
the masses.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Old September 5th 03, 07:52 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Have any of you been to King Richard's Faire in Carver MA?
I've always wanted to go, DD is now old enough to go, DS might get a charge
out of it!
So is it worth my while? Long drive and cash wise?
Thanks
Cheryl

Old September 5th 03, 08:45 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/5/03 3:32 PM, in article mx56b.364961$YN5.245545@sccrnsc01, "Queen City
Cross Stitcher" wrote:

Cheryl,
If you go on a Sunday, I would be willing to go with you. PLUS!!!* I have a
van. DS and DD can be spread out and comfy.

Bobbie V.

Hey Bobbie,
That sounds like an idea! now to see what the hockey schedule is going to
be!
Cheryl

Old September 6th 03, 10:45 AM
Donna D.

Our Ren Fest had someone doing bobbin lace. That stuff mind boggling!!! We
were talking about stitching and she said she wished she could do cross
stitch.
I cant understand how you can keep all those pins straight. I know I would
have a mess in seconds.
It was very interesting. I never went to one before.

Donna

Old September 7th 03, 04:10 AM
Cozit/Liz

Bobbin lace is one of the things I've toyed with on and off.. mostly
off. Unfortunately, our faire is Henry VIII, and bobbin lace didn't
show up being done in England until Elizabeth's time... so it's not
something I'll be able to do at faire, so I've been putting off figuring
more of it out (surprisingly, the little bit I've tried has gone more
easily that I thought it would... but as I've been braiding with
multiple threads for years, the switch isn't as drastic to someone who's
never learned how to throw the bobbins around).

-Liz (who isn't knitting at faire for the same reason... in this period
it's pretty much limited to rough "Monmouth Caps" (felted after
knitting), and whatever those Landsknecht folks were doing)