Scrap Quilts

Old May 17th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Default Scrap Quilts

Can you recommend your favorite Scrap Quilt book (we could include FQ
quilts too). Tell me why you like it.

I have a BOATLOAD of scraps and FQ's and am so NOT a scrap quilt person, I
like them well enough, but have a very VERY hard time letting go and not
just let loose enough to not be "matchy-matchy".

Well done scrap quilts are beautiful... and I'd love to do a few (and
whittle down some of my stash at the same time). But I definitely need some
ideas... and looking at some good books with lots of pretty pictures of
scrap quilts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

--
Kate in MI

Old May 17th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Kate G. wrote:

Can you recommend your favorite Scrap Quilt book (we could include FQ
quilts too). Tell me why you like it.

I have a BOATLOAD of scraps and FQ's and am so NOT a scrap quilt person, I
like them well enough, but have a very VERY hard time letting go and not
just let loose enough to not be "matchy-matchy".

Well done scrap quilts are beautiful... and I'd love to do a few (and
whittle down some of my stash at the same time). But I definitely need some
ideas... and looking at some good books with lots of pretty pictures of
scrap quilts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I am sure this quilt is in a book but haven't a clue what the name
would be. It's one that Harriet Hargrave (is that the "little old lady"
quilter?) did on Ales Anderson's show ages ago. This is a charm type
quilt -- no pieced blocks. Decide how wide you want your quilt to be
and what size squares you want to use -- 1", 2", 3". Take all of your
scraps -- ALL OF THEM -- and cut a whole boat load of squares whatever
size you want using as many fabrics as possible. Toss all of the
squares into a brown paper bag big enough to hold them all. Now, pull
out your squares one at a time and sew them together to make rows as
wide as your desired quilt. DO NOT -- repeat DO NOT try to match
anything up, the ONLY TIME you put a square back into the bag is if it
is exactly the same as the one you previously used. It will look
horribly strange at first but don't worry -- this type of quilt looks
best if it is unbelievably scrappy. Make as many rows as needed for the
length quilt you want and then add a neutral binding and you've got a
great truly scrappy quilt!
When I watched the show, Harriette had several quilts she had done
this way and they were truly lovely. She brought large pieces of some
of the stranger fabrics she used and lay them together on the table and
they looked truly HORRIBLE together. But cut into smaller squares, they
look just fine! There isn't enough of any one ugly or oddly colored
fabric in one spot to actually clash with anything else :-). It works
-- honestly it really does. And one of these days I am going to make
this sort of quilt for myself!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old May 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

yes, tis i again, up before the sparrows fart again. : /
found this yesterday. simple use of various lights, darks, mediums.
see the two layouts below the block.
http://groups.msn.com/QuiltingAround...22301297902436

also found this page of freebies, bargello and alternate pinwheel designs
that work for scraps.
http://www.bighornquilts.com/inspira...ashbuster.html
just what i found yesterday, not even googled today. holler if you need more
ideas.
jeanne
one cuppa and a pot of yogurt is not helping me much, argh
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Kate G." wrote...

Old May 17th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

http://quiltville.com/

Not a book, but she has lots of good stuff. Look down the left hand menu
and you'll see she has links to for her quilting business, followed by
personal links, then her finished quilts, then tips on dealing with your
scraps, and other useful info, and then down even farther she has many scrap
quilt patterns. Fun site to look around!

HTH.
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

. ..

Old May 17th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

"Kate G." wrote:

Can you recommend your favorite Scrap Quilt book (we could include FQ
quilts too). Tell me why you like it.

I have a BOATLOAD of scraps and FQ's and am so NOT a scrap quilt person, I
like them well enough, but have a very VERY hard time letting go and not
just let loose enough to not be "matchy-matchy".

Well done scrap quilts are beautiful... and I'd love to do a few (and
whittle down some of my stash at the same time). But I definitely need some
ideas... and looking at some good books with lots of pretty pictures of
scrap quilts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Look for anything by Sally Schneider. I'm working on a project out of
her book ScrapMania. On my worktable is her book Scrap Frenzy. It
also provides a nice explanation of her suggestions for how to cut up
FQs in ways that the pieces are then ready for project use.

Enjoy!

Mary
Old May 17th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The key to any scrap quilt is randomness. Cut your pieces, put them into
a bag or box, reach in without looking, and use whatever you come up
with. The only rule is that you don't put two pieces of the same fabric
together. If your pattern calls for a light/dark variation, you are
allowed to sort your fabrics into light/medium/dark piles. It was really
hard for me the first few times I did it, but it's getting easier.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 18th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Lots of good patterns around, but for books I like -

Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles
http://tinyurl.com/32r6mx

Spectacular Scraps
http://tinyurl.com/2nt9q3

Strips and Strings
http://tinyurl.com/2oz5vc

Liberated String Quilts
http://tinyurl.com/2wgpsl

Strips 'n' Curves
http://tinyurl.com/2owpct
- there is a follow-up book but I haven't seen it yet.

Hope those links work OK!
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

. ..
:
: I have a BOATLOAD of scraps and FQ's and am so NOT a scrap
quilt person, I
: like them well enough, but have a very VERY hard time
letting go and not
: just let loose enough to not be "matchy-matchy".
:
: Well done scrap quilts are beautiful... and I'd love to
do a few (and
: whittle down some of my stash at the same time). But I
definitely need some
: ideas... and looking at some good books with lots of
pretty pictures of
: scrap quilts would be helpful.
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: --
: Kate in MI
: http://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves
:
:
: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * *
:
:

Old May 18th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I bet you're thinking of Mary Ellen Hopkins Tia Maria. (I only say that,
because I took a workshop from Harriet Hargrave last year & if she's a
little old lady, then I guess I must be too)

Pauline
Northern California

Old May 18th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

This pattern looks fun and easy.
http://qnm.com/rjrbonus/rjrbonus7/

--
Mary
"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
[...]
: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:
:

Old May 18th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

....and then there is the hidden wells design.
http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hwells.htm
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08