OT--elimination communication....diaper free living

Old May 15th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

Default OT--elimination communication....diaper free living

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

this sounds amazing to me but i wish i'd known of it when my kids were
little.
think of all the money you'd save...
no disposables to add to the huuuuuge rubbish landfill.
no excess cleaning products for the waterways or ground to deal with.
do your bit for global warming.
just had an article about a mum here in nz who has used this and it worked
for her wee lad.
he is only 3 months old now and into big boy trainer pants.
nayy, just wish i'd known of it all those yrs ago.
must keep this in mind if any of my kids decide to have babys.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old May 15th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I guess I'm old school.... but what I learned about little ones is that
they do not have the abililty to "hold it" or to recognize much in advance
the need to go. Are there cues that elimination is imminent... I would say
"sure". But unless I stop doing everything else and focus clearly on the
little one 24/7 -- I would easily miss these cues.

Me... I've always been too busy (at times as a full time employee outside
the home.... and at times a full time mom) to focus on watching for these
cues. I'd rather play and engage the children (as well as do their laundry
and prepare their meals) then spend my time focused on my 8 month olds
upcoming elimination. (although my 9 month olds are now in their 20's ...
so maybe with grandbabies some day).

My opinion... FWIW.

--
Kate in MI

Old May 15th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old May 15th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

My grandmother, who had 12 children before she had running water, once
told me that when babies are "trained" at a very young age, it is
usually the mother that is trained not the baby. This sounds a lot like
"mother training" to me. I think I would find it easier to change and
wash diapers...

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 15th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Oops! Gee I haven't done this in a long time. I started to write a
comment, then decided not to and hit the "send" button instead of the
"close" button.
I have a friend whose daughter tried something like this for her kids. The
friend was so embarrassed when they were out in public with the baby. Her
daughter carried around the "blue potty" in her diaper bag and would whip it
out whereever they were and the kid would sit on it to potty. I know the
next question is...did it work? I think the babies were potty trained about
the same time our kids in diapers are. It's a physical maturity as well as
a cognitive one...you can't force babies to mature faster. I never did get
to see this in action as she doesn't live near me. I just can't imagine
watching a baby so closely that you learn the tiniest clues for eliminating.
I felt like I already had enough to do!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"KJ" wrote in message

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old May 15th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

I had an acquaintance who tried this with her children. She was a very
"natural" kind of person. No antibiotics, vaccinations or other sorts
of official medicines for her children. She breastfed them until they
were four or five and usually had two or three nursing at a time. She
believed her children would learn good behavior from natural
consequences of their actions. Consequently they were ill-behaved
brats with green snot hanging out of their noses most of the time.

BUT .... they were potty trained by the time they could walk. At least
she was. The only problem happened when she got distracted by a
younger baby and the little one had an accident in his "big boy"
pants. Yuck.

I think the method can work for very dedicated mothers. However, I
came to believe that it had made this woman's children very
unnaturally focused on their eliminations. They talked all the time
about body functions, had their hands in their pants all the time.
Thought everybody else wanted to talk about, see and otherwise
participate in their eliminations.

Personally I think that parents put a huge amount of dedication and
decision making into the whole potty training thing. But in the end,
it's the child who decides whether to respond or not.

My oldest son realized his poopy diapers smelled bad at the age of 2
years and one month. When I told him that he could use the potty just
like Mommy and Daddy and then his poop would just flush away and not
smell bad, he was immediately sold. End of story, no moe wet or dirty
diapers.

Youngest son had so many ups and downs, poor kid had a rough time. He
would just get it down and then would get sick with something and it
would set us back. So finally I told him that when he turned 3, the
rules said moms couldn't change diapers any more. I put all the
supplies down on a bottom shelf and told him that the day after his
third birthday he would have to start cleaning up his own diapers.
About a week before his birthday he came and asked me if I really
meant it, that he would have to be in charge of his own diapers. I
assured him I was (and by this time I was ready to live with the
consequences of my decision). He looked at me a long minute and then
said "Ok, I guess then that I need to use the potty."

End of story. No more diapers. There were a few wet pants when he
started kindergarten a couple years later, but that faded when he was
reassured and comfortable with school.

I know all about pollution and land fills and carbon and global
warming. But the answer to all this can't be constant focus on your
baby's elimination needs. There's got to be a better way than saddling
moms with yet one more guilt-ridden task. Somebody else can save the
world for a change.

Sunny

Old May 15th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

As my sister would say most every kid is potty trained before they
graduate from high school. LOL I guess at that rate just about
every method must work. Thanks for reminding me how I enjoy having
adult children.
Taria

Old May 15th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chipper

LOL! Forget Dr. Spock! I like your 'Sunny's Handbook on Child Rearing'
better. (It is amazing how many simple things we can complicate! :P ).

chipper ;D

oups.com...

Old May 16th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I must admit that the Pampers (they were the first disposable diapers in
Minnesota) came too late for me. I used cloth diapers, diaper pails
(remember them?), Dreft & Hilex; when my son was teething and got diaper
rash, we let him run about in the sunshine for several hours a day with no
clothes (summertime, and doctor's advice). A side benefit to cloth diapers
that no one younger than me remembers is that by bending down to the laundry
basket and stretching up to hang them on the clothesline, you lost that
preggy tummy, and your stretch marks disappeared, much faster than if you
tossed disposables into the garbage. Young mommies were much slimmer in my
day. But they worked harder.

So much for the "good" old days, LOL!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

oups.com...

Old May 16th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I knew about this, but I'm not going near it with a barge pole!

I was pretty in tune with when DD was going to do her poos, yet I still let
her do them in a diaper, have you any idea how far breastfed baby poo can go
when it's been inside for several days? containing it in a potty would be a
struggle! having it in a nappy that was changed instantly was messy but
dealable with.

I accept this works for some parents, but I do wonder, particularly where
there are older children too, is too much attention being paid to one thing?

Anne

Where do I buy Lanolin for wool diaper covers? [email protected] Yarn 2 October 2nd 06 01:46 AM
Quilted diaper bag maryd Quilting 0 July 13th 05 12:23 AM
is there a communication problem here?? Queen of Squishies Quilting 9 March 25th 04 10:20 PM
Communication from Maureen Karen C - California Needlework 4 March 6th 04 02:54 AM
Need Source for sturdy Diaper Pins Mary Sewing 12 September 2nd 03 07:02 AM