OT totally off topic postal service

Old April 6th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT totally off topic postal service

This is way off topic but since you guys know just about everything
I am hoping you can help.
I live on a cul-de-sac with barely a space for one car to park on the
street. In that space is a post with 2 mailboxes (mine and neighbor).
It is set at the curb so the postal vehicle just drives up and reaches
in. Our problem is if there is a car in front of the box, or even
near enough to obstruct her way the mail carrier does not leave our mail
(or the neighbors) The curb is not red I have no control over cars
that might park there. (today it was a workman's truck) Is this ok?
Anyone know anything about rules to this kind of thing? This lazy mail
girl is the one that honks every time she has a pkg. and waits for me
to run out and collect it from her.
I am not sure what the rules are but basically I could have no
accessible mail service. Anybody in the know or that just has
suggestions. I guess I have a visit with my postmaster in my future.
Thanks for any info you might have!
Taria

Old April 6th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

if she had to get out and do this at everyones mail box i could see the
problem in a days work.
i'd think on the odd occasion there is a blocked mail box she could benefit
from getting up off her fat a$$ and do it as a courtesy.
she needs some exercise other than pushing on the pedals and steering.
geez, lazy or what.
yup, i'd call the postmaster there and have a friendly discussion about
this.
saves fuel if she just does this when shes there rather than carry the mail
around for a day to maybe get lost
or to make you come into the PO to pick it up. dont they think about global
warming?
geez your posties use a bike to deliver here.
oh well, good luck,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Taria" wrote...

Old April 6th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G.

I think you need to make a trip to the Post Office to have a chat with the
Postmaster. That kind of behavior is ridiculous! Can she not get out of her
little truck? Sheesh!

Laurie G.

Old April 6th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
elspeth

I think officially they are not required to leave mail in a box that is
blocked. Usually they will leave a note in the box to warn you that mail
will not be delivered before they just don't deliver it.

Old April 6th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

From the official USPS website:
https://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bin/hdusps.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6751&p_created=1106773277&p_si d=vzXwfsyi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=7747&p_sp=cF9zc mNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ 9MyZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ 2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW1haWwgZGVsaXZlcnkgYmxvY2t lZCBtYWlsIGJveA**&p_li=&p_topview=1
I found this by searching http://www.usps.com for "mail delivery
blocked mail box"

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old April 7th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Well.... PO Boxes are quite affordable... and with your DH
retiring.... you might travel more?? You might send him to the PO on
a regular basis so you can consume donuts in his absence??? vbg
Honestly.... I have found that to be my best bet for cutting thru it.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's my honest answer.

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old April 7th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_2_]

They do not have to leave the mail if a car/truck is blocking the mailbox.
I live on a circle, and there have been cases where they would not leave the
mail if a vehicle was parked in front of the mailbox. Usually, this only
happens because it is the same people leaving their vehicles blocking the
mailbox. Some of these people have more vehicles than people living in the
house so one or two are parked on the street instead of the driveway. Most
of the time, they will warn them a few times before they stop leaving the
mail. Good luck talking to anyone at your post office unless it is better
than the one in my neighborhood. DH & I have considered getting a post
office box, but we take so many magazines that it would not work if we were
gone for any length of time. We have been known to be gone 3-6 weeks at a
time, and the post office box would not hold it. They also will not hold
your mail longer than 4 weeks. Luckily, our friends just live 2 blocks from
us, and they get our mail. They throw away all the obvious junk mail, and
shred the credit card offers.

Sherry Starr

Old April 7th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

If we're doing a lazy mail carrier contest, please let me nominate ours.
She doesn't 'do' packages or much else. We have to keep a big trash can
beside the mail box for her to hurl packages into. Not a chance that she's
going to move from her comfy seat. During the week, delivery is right slim,
on Saturdays when the relief carrier is on duty, most of our mail comes in.
To add insult to incompetence, she regularly plows up DH's carefully tended
lawn because she's sorting mail instead of looking at the road. We are the
proud parents and grandparents of UPS cute guys . . . and today, the Yorkie
and I were out for our walk. The FedEx guy stopped us on our journey to hand
Yogi a puppy biscuit. Gotta love 'em. Polly

oups.com...

Old April 7th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

sounded great til i got to the last line.
do check what brand those biscuits are, eh.
with some of those also being recalled, what the heck does one feed their
animals now.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Polly Esther" wrote...
If we're doing a lazy mail carrier contest, please let me nominate ours.
She doesn't 'do' packages or much else. We have to keep a big trash can
beside the mail box for her to hurl packages into. Not a chance that
she's going to move from her comfy seat. During the week, delivery is
right slim, on Saturdays when the relief carrier is on duty, most of our
mail comes in. To add insult to incompetence, she regularly plows up DH's
carefully tended lawn because she's sorting mail instead of looking at the
road. We are the proud parents and grandparents of UPS cute guys . . . and
today, the Yorkie and I were out for our walk. The FedEx guy stopped us on
our journey to hand Yogi a puppy biscuit. Gotta love 'em. Polly

oups.com...

Old April 7th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Interestingly enough today there was a truck for the guy installing a
new garage door. They were working and there was no where else for the
truck to go. If it had been backed in the drive he still would have
been out in the street. The day we got carpeting this carrier asked dd
if this was going to be a regular thing. Like I could swap out the
carpet every few days? Nobody much uses the space for car parking
because it is kind of awkward. We are talking very few days and mostly
unusual circumstances. This is a gal that put a little christmas card
in our mail box with no postage on it. I am not sure that is too legit.
I saved the card to rat her out if need be. I miss John at the other
house, heck I miss Ricardo from San Diego and we left there in '89.
There are good carriers, this route just never had them.
Taria