Quilting Group

Old June 14th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Quilting Group

My mom started a quilting group.

Several ladies from her church asked her to start a little quilting
group. My mom was happy to do the organizing (my mom is nothing if not
organized!) but she panicked a bit when she found out that only one
other lady new how to quilt! Turns out this is more of a "learning"
group. So, my mother (who would be perfectly wonderful at teaching)
asked if I would help out for a while.

Last week was the first meeting. We met at moms house and I showed them
different kinds of thread and fabric and let them feel it all and pass
it around. They learned to square up fabric and rotary cut. Then I
handed out 1 1/4" by 6" strips. They learned to mark 1/4" in their
machines at home (in case they don't have a 1/4" foot or want to buy
one) and then to sew a seam, press it, check it and take it out with a
seam ripper. I then gave them several sets of strips to take home to
practice with on their own machines. They were so excited!

Yesterday we met at the local quilt shop. My mom had called the owner
in advance to let her know we were coming. The ladies shopped for 4-6
fabrics to make a little sampler quilt. They had such a good time. It
was fun to see them hunting for just the right fabrics for each other!
Natural shoppers for sure. Some bought thread and rotary cutting
supplies in addition to their fabric. One woman got a sewing machine
and another is going back to get one too! Needless to say the owner was
thrilled and gave everyone 20% off for coming in as a group.

We even had a new member. One of the ladies had called a friend and told
her what fun we had had the previous week. She showed up at the shop
and asked if she could join in. Of course!

I think we're up to about 10 ladies. We meet again in two weeks and
they'll learn to make rail fence blocks.

So nice to have such an excited group ready to be sucked into quilting!
Lately I've been teaching 1 day classes so I'm looking forward to
working with the same group for a time.

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

My mom started a quilting group.

Marcella, it sounds as though you're really enjoying this! Good for you
for pitching in when your mom felt a bit out of her depth.

One question, though: does your mom have a house large enough for ten
sewing machines to be set up at one time? I keep thinking about my
little house, where I'd be lucky to be able to set up 3-4 on the kitchen
table. LOL!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 14th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Marcella, that is so wonderful. Sounds like you're enjoying it as much as
they are ). That was really sweet of the quilt store owner. Now that's
taking care of your customers! When I worked at the LQS (if you want to
call it a job, she made more money from me!) I truly enjoyed
watching/helping with the process of colour choosing. I was always amazed
at the colour combos one would come up with. They all worked so well. I'd
like to start a group myself, as soon as my life settles sigh. Thank you
for sharing.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Treasure your Mind, Cherish your Reason, Hold to your Purpose
Epictetus (52 c.e - 135 c.e.)

Old June 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sounds like a great group. Bet you are loving it too.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:

Old June 14th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

This is marvelous!

Good for you, Marcella, and good for your mom. *pats on the back*

Ragmop/Sandy

On 6/14/06 10:29 AM, in article
, "Marcella Peek"

Old June 14th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

This is marvelous!

Good for you, Marcella, and good for your mom. *pats on the back*

Ragmop/Sandy

Why thank you!

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

Marcella, it sounds as though you're really enjoying this! Good for you
for pitching in when your mom felt a bit out of her depth.

One question, though: does your mom have a house large enough for ten
sewing machines to be set up at one time? I keep thinking about my
little house, where I'd be lucky to be able to set up 3-4 on the kitchen
table. LOL!

It has been really fun. The ladies are very friendly. Everyone got a
good bye hug yesterday.

The first meeting was ok at my moms. Her living room and dining room
are one large L shaped room so we had three machines on the dining room
table and the cutting table and ironing board in the living room. The
ladies just took turns so it worked fine for that.

The rest of the meetings are going to be at the church building. Lots
of room in the gym.

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"C&S" wrote:

Marcella, that is so wonderful. Sounds like you're enjoying it as much as
they are ). That was really sweet of the quilt store owner. Now that's
taking care of your customers! When I worked at the LQS (if you want to
call it a job, she made more money from me!) I truly enjoyed
watching/helping with the process of colour choosing. I was always amazed
at the colour combos one would come up with. They all worked so well. I'd
like to start a group myself, as soon as my life settles sigh. Thank you
for sharing.

--
Carole

It will be fun to see the finished quilts. All their fabric choices
were very different - 30's, japanese, brights, kid prints...

Start a group! I've had students pestering me to start a chapter of the
applique society, but while my house has room, parking is a pain (no
sidewalks or curbs etc) But, I'm told the new library that just opened
has meeting rooms so I may look into that for fall.

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article , "Cats"
wrote:

Sounds like a great group. Bet you are loving it too.

--

Cheryl & the Cats

Yes, it has been great fun. Kinda like your group?

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

The first meeting was ok at my moms. Her living room and dining room
are one large L shaped room so we had three machines on the dining room
table and the cutting table and ironing board in the living room. The
ladies just took turns so it worked fine for that.

The rest of the meetings are going to be at the church building. Lots
of room in the gym.

marcella

Aha! Great! Have a wonderful time with the group.

Finishers 2006 Tricia Quilting 28 January 28th 06 04:45 PM
New to group and to Quilting Bev Langlands Quilting 20 June 3rd 04 10:25 PM
New to group, just wanted to introduce myself & say Hi! Terbear Quilting 18 March 31st 04 04:59 PM
[FAQ] Posting and Advertising Guidelines for rec.crafts.jewelry [email protected] Jewelry 1 February 15th 04 10:05 PM
Catalog recyclers beware! END OF THREAD Peter W. Rowe Jewelry 10 December 3rd 03 08:44 AM