Seed bead help?

Old May 7th 04, 02:19 AM
Ron_&_Karen Ramel

If the beads are metalic then they do normally cost a whole lot more than a
regular non-metal bead (if you're comparing them to regular beads that is.)
FYI

At least they are a whole lot more in canada in price. (Like only get a pkg
of 15 for $8 cdn if that little in price).

Cheers

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Hi guys!

I just spent $20 getting a pile of these cute Czech spacers on eBay, and
at a penny apiece I was feeling like they were a deal.. until it occured
to me that they're just big seed beads and I bet I'm paying about a
1000% markup. My only question is, what SIZE seed beads are they? 8.0?
10.0? They measure about 3 - 3.5mm around and 2.5 - 3mm hole-to-hole.
Here they are in hot, steamy action:

http://beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=734

Those are the silver ones, which I use the most.

Next question (you knew it was coming) is; does anyone suggest a good
source? Rings 'N' Things has them, but not, apparently, in silver.

TIA,
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Old May 7th 04, 06:19 PM
Kalera Stratton

You're kidding! I should have checked with her first!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]http://beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=734
]
]Those are the silver ones, which I use the most.
]
]Next question (you knew it was coming) is; does anyone suggest a good
]source? Rings 'N' Things has them, but not, apparently, in silver.

Nicole!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Old May 7th 04, 06:21 PM
Kalera Stratton

Cool!

Yeah, the pic isn't life-size... it's for my website. Those lampwork
beads are pretty small, so I'm guessing 8/0. I'll order some and see
what they look like.

Thanks Kathy!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2004 3:02:01 -0400, Kalera Stratton wrote
(in message ):

I just spent $20 getting a pile of these cute Czech spacers on eBay, and
at a penny apiece I was feeling like they were a deal.. until it occured
to me that they're just big seed beads and I bet I'm paying about a
1000% markup. My only question is, what SIZE seed beads are they? 8.0?
10.0? They measure about 3 - 3.5mm around and 2.5 - 3mm hole-to-hole.
Here they are in hot, steamy action:

Definitely not 10/0, they sound like 8/0 beads from the size you describe,
but the photo (which isn't to scale) looks like 6/0 beads. They're simple
galvanized silver seed beads, which are pretty widely available.

A tube or two can be easily obtained from Beki at Whimbeads, and should last
you for a while. If you want a large quantity, and they have to be Czech,
take a look at Shipwreck Beads. The size 8/0 is part # 8SB812-C , and the
size 6/0 is part #6SB812. No matter what, you'll save a whole lot of money.

Normally, I would recommend against galvanized seed beads, since they do
wear, but for a simple spacer for shipping, it should be more than adequate.

Kathy N-V

Old May 7th 04, 06:23 PM
Kalera Stratton

They are metallic glass, and they usually do cost a little more than
non-coated glass, but I can't imagine anyone selling them for those
kinds of prices! I'd pay less than that for comparably sized sterling
silver! Even in Canadian prices, you should be able to get 100 3mm
sterling silver beads for $8. These were $1.29 for 100.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 7th 04, 09:31 PM
Armand Vine

Kalera,
I just measures an 8 with a micrometer, it is 2 mm.
So, I think you must have 6s.
Did you want silver metal or silver glass beads??
Armand

Old May 8th 04, 12:05 AM
Kalera Stratton

Thanks, Armand! I want glass beads in many colors; the ones I chose to
show just happen to be silver-coated, which was confusing. I should have
shown transparent ones to keep it simple.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay