magnifying glasses...

Old September 29th 03, 03:07 AM
Olwynmary

Default magnifying glasses...

does anyone have recommendations for a 40-something who is trying to see her
32 and 36 count linen?

YES! Go see your optician!!!!! Either that or buy yourself one of the
magnifiers you hang around your neck, or a wildly expensive lamp with built-in
magnifier. As you are 40-something, you probably need reading glasses - or
will do very shortly, and you should start NOW having annual eye tests for
glaucoma etc. Your sight is too precious to ignore.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old September 29th 03, 04:38 AM
Boohoo1971

does anyone have recommendations for a 40-something who is trying to see
her 32 and 36 count linen?

Hi Angela. I passed 40-something such a long time ago that I have just about
forgotten about all about it. I use opticaid spring clip glasses. I wear
bifocals and this type of clip ons can be adjusted so I have them in the upper
part of my glasses. I look over the opticaid to see the tv, through them to
see my stitching and below them, in the bifocal part, to read the chart. By
the way, my dentist uses magnifying gismos on his glasses and they come from
opticaid. These are carried by Nordic Needle www.nordicneedle.com or if
you want a catalog 1-800-433-4321. Recently I have worked on 40 count linen
and over one on 36 count and got along just fine.

Before I got discovered the opticaids, I used a magnifying glass that hung
around my neck which worked nicely most of the time. I also tried a magnifying
glass that is attached to my Ott light. This I did not like. I use a floor
frame and had to move either the Ott light or the frame when I moved from one
part of the stitching to another.

Good luck with your looking for a magnifier and I hope you are as delighted
with what you find as I am with my opticaid clip one. Boo

Old September 29th 03, 01:51 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Vision improves with lots of light. So, make sure you are working in a
very bright window (I can no longer do fine work on a cloudy day). Too
sunny and you get too much glare.

Or lots of bright artificial light. At least 300 watts - maybe more.

Be careful of some of the magnifying gizmos that sling around your neck.
The less expensive ones distort your work. I know, because I'm stuck
with one. Dazor makes a high quality lens. Since I didn't want to spend
more money, I just simply found other ways around the problem. The
cheaper one gave me a lot of light, so I propped it up as a light source
grin. But no longer. Now, I just work when it's sunny and do *other*
needlework when it's cloudy.

And do talk to your optometrist. Bring your needlework along.

Dianne

The Cow Goddess wrote:

i must break down and buy expensive ones instead of the poor quality
ones i have been picking up at the dollar store.

does anyone have recommendations for a 40-something who is trying to see
her 32 and 36 count linen?

many thanks,

angela

Old September 29th 03, 03:49 PM
Linda Wright

If you are already nearsighted, take off your glasses (or take your
contacts out). It frequently makes the difference (although makes it
hard to see at a distance!)

Blind as a bat Linda in Columbia, MO
Old September 29th 03, 05:58 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Nope. She's far sighted, thus she needs reading glasses to see up close.

From what I've gathered from reading RCTN over the years, people who
are far-sighted have particular problems over 40 or so when doing
needlework or other fine, close up work. Magnification is about their
only recourse. And more light, of course, which happens to all of us
after 40, whether you are far or near sighted.

For people who are near-sighted, taking glasses off is usually the
answer, although the project may get closer and closer to your nose as
the years go by. grin I'll let you know on that score. g I'm
still at a decent distance, but some of the time, it gets pretty durned
close.
Dianne

Old September 29th 03, 06:30 PM
Russell Miller

LOL! Speaking as another who is 40 something, wearing dollar store
glasses and stitching on 32 or 40 ct. fabric (silk), I broke down and
bought a boom lamp that swings out over my stitching. It has a
magnifying glass in the center and a flourescent tube around the
circumference. Actually dh bought this because he couldn't stand to see
me cry when I was taking more time picking out misplaced stitches than I
was placing correct stitches. I have never looked back after getting
this lamp and I can't imagine stitching any other way since!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

--
Maureen Miller C.H.

Old September 30th 03, 02:28 AM
Jenn Liace

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:58:26 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

For people who are near-sighted, taking glasses off is usually the
answer, although the project may get closer and closer to your nose as
the years go by. grin I'll let you know on that score. g I'm
still at a decent distance, but some of the time, it gets pretty durned
close.

Nearsighted here. Believe it or not, i do see better if I keep the
glasses on - and my fabric is currently at about 8-10 inches on my
traveling pieces (whcih are smaller and frames are held in hand). The
large pieces on the floor stand range at 15-18 inches. not yet at
that magic age, though, we'll see how things progress..... LOL

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

Old October 2nd 03, 07:00 AM
Marian Poller

I have made pairs of regular eyeglasses from an optician using my
prescription and just adding larger # to my reading #. This magnifies my
work and I only use it when doing embroidery. Much easier for me to wear
than something around my neck. Marian
"The Cow Goddess" wrote in message

i must break down and buy expensive ones instead of the poor quality
ones i have been picking up at the dollar store.

does anyone have recommendations for a 40-something who is trying to see
her 32 and 36 count linen?

many thanks,

angela

--
The Cow Palace has moo-ved!
http://webhome.idirect.com/~rouquinne/

Glasses Cindy Schoepp Beads 3 January 1st 05 08:32 AM
Didymium Glasses - Questions starlia Beads 0 August 9th 04 11:54 PM
Wish me Luck! New Glasses for Stitching Lynne M. Needlework 4 September 6th 03 05:57 PM
Collaging, Typewriter keys, watch glasses, etc. MaryJLind Beads 5 August 4th 03 08:52 PM