Tumbling Blocks Help

Old April 15th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Default Tumbling Blocks Help

Whew!! If spring ever makes it to the east coast I'll be happy. I've been
battling bronchial asthma for the past two weeks and bronchitis for the past
3 months. So I'm ready for nice weather. Now to my question.

I'm making a tumbling block quilt. I wanted to make it in rows but I'm
rethinking that one. If I do decide to go ahead with the rows, what is the
best/easiest way to sew the rows together? All those Y seams, ugh. Is there
an easy way to do it? Or would I be better off to just make a few flowers
with the tumbling blocks similar to the way Dresden Plates are done? Does
this make sense?

Hugs,
Mika

Old April 15th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

There is a pattern out there that does allow you to sew in rows. Instead of
using diamonds... you use triangles. It is called "not your Grandmother's
tumbling blocks" - by Marci Baker. You can see the pattern here...

http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/81932b.jpg

(from here... http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/misc.htm).

I have the pattern... but havn'te done the quilt yet. I have purchased from
Erica's.. with a good result. (NAYY)

The only other way I would attempt this quilt would be to piece it using the
English Paper Piecing method... and do all the sewing by hand.

Have fun....

Kate in MI

Old April 15th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

On Apr 15, 5:00 pm, "Mika" wrote:
Whew!! If spring ever makes it to the east coast I'll be happy. I've been
battling bronchial asthma for the past two weeks and bronchitis for the past
3 months. So I'm ready for nice weather. Now to my question.

I'm making a tumbling block quilt. I wanted to make it in rows but I'm
rethinking that one. If I do decide to go ahead with the rows, what is the
best/easiest way to sew the rows together? All those Y seams, ugh. Is there
an easy way to do it? Or would I be better off to just make a few flowers
with the tumbling blocks similar to the way Dresden Plates are done? Does
this make sense?

Hugs,
Mika

If you use the Quilters Cache method, you'll not encounter Y seams.
I, however, being the hard-headed person that I am, decided that doing
it by hand the old fashioned way was the best. And I love it! I
sewed each three piece block together first, and then began assembling
the blocks into rows. Tons of Y seams, but by the time you put the
blocks together you'll have them absolutely mastered and putting the
blocks together into the top will be a breeze!

Let us know how it goes!

I'm glad to see so many tumbling blocks being made! I'm feeling so
very not alone at the moment!

Dannielle

Old April 16th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Mika" wrote:

Whew!! If spring ever makes it to the east coast I'll be happy. I've been
battling bronchial asthma for the past two weeks and bronchitis for the past
3 months. So I'm ready for nice weather. Now to my question.

I'm making a tumbling block quilt. I wanted to make it in rows but I'm
rethinking that one. If I do decide to go ahead with the rows, what is the
best/easiest way to sew the rows together? All those Y seams, ugh. Is there
an easy way to do it? Or would I be better off to just make a few flowers
with the tumbling blocks similar to the way Dresden Plates are done? Does
this make sense?

Hugs,
Mika

Mika, do you have access to Sharyn Craig's book on Lemoyne stars? She
has a great way of doing Y-seams by machine, and they come out great.
You could use the same technique with tumbling blocks, I'm thinking.
If you don't have access to the book, Jan Krentz has the same method on
her site at http://www.jankrentz.com/yseams_public.html.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old April 16th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

There are some gorgeous patterns there! It's a grand place to dream of
another quilt.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

. ..

Old April 16th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

The problem is.... I already have the diamonds cut. This is the very FIRST
project I started when I started quilting again a few years ago. Yeah really
dumb move to pick this pattern to learn on. lol. I have enough diamonds cut
to probably make two quilts. I have a the instructions to strip piece a
tumbling blocks quilt but didn't find it until after I had already cut all
the diamonds. So I'm kind of stuck there. But thanks for the suggestion. I
appreciate it.

Hugs,
Mika

. ..

Old April 16th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

"Dannielle" wrote in message
ups.com...

If you use the Quilters Cache method, you'll not encounter Y seams.
I, however, being the hard-headed person that I am, decided that doing
it by hand the old fashioned way was the best. And I love it! I
sewed each three piece block together first, and then began assembling
the blocks into rows. Tons of Y seams, but by the time you put the
blocks together you'll have them absolutely mastered and putting the
blocks together into the top will be a breeze!

Let us know how it goes!

I'm glad to see so many tumbling blocks being made! I'm feeling so
very not alone at the moment!

I know what you mean about the being hard-headed part. Tumbling blocks is
not a project for beginners. But I was hard-headed too. I saw a quilt in
this pattern, loved it and decided that I wanted to make one. I'm doing mine
on the machine though. I'm just not a hand-piecer. I can do the Y seams
pretty good in putting the blocks together. I'm just not real sure about
putting the strips together, dealing with all the bulk.

Hugs,
Mika

Old April 16th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You might find it easier to put the individual 'cubes' together in
groups/sections, rather than strips/rows?
Some people do prefer the organisation of that method. I think I did it
that way myself - do you know, I can honestly not remember!
..
In message , Mika
writes
I know what you mean about the being hard-headed part. Tumbling blocks is
not a project for beginners. But I was hard-headed too. I saw a quilt in
this pattern, loved it and decided that I wanted to make one. I'm doing mine
on the machine though. I'm just not a hand-piecer. I can do the Y seams
pretty good in putting the blocks together. I'm just not real sure about
putting the strips together, dealing with all the bulk.

Hugs,
Mika

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 17th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

Mika, IHO "Y" seams on the machine are not as difficult as they seem.
When I did my very first sewing and very first quilt (actually WH) I
chose a tumbling block pattern. I had a book by Karen Combs along
with the instructional DVD and it all went fine. I was very careful
about stopping 1/4" from the end of each seam. I did this by reducing
the seam length to very tiny when I got near the seam end.

I did have one "Y" seam that resulted in a small hole because I
stopped the seam too early. This was fixed when I did the quilting.
I really enjoyed the project and did another one. Everything was done
by machine, even the binding. See the pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old April 18th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

I've done the same thing with a Grandmother's Garden quilt. I'm doing it
the old-fashioned way and may never get it finished, but I love doing it. I
found a neat old vintage train case in near perfect condition and I keep the
pieces in there. Then I can just put it anyplace and it will be safe and
ready to go when I want to work on it again. I've just accepted that it's
the process that is important with this particular one.

René

"Dannielle" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 15, 5:00 pm, "Mika" wrote:
[...]

S.E.X. and Tumbling Blocks revisited Dannielle Quilting 8 January 5th 07 01:58 AM
Can't resist them tumbling blocks... spampot Yarn 26 March 27th 05 12:23 AM
Tumbling Blocks help dogmom Quilting 13 February 9th 04 02:06 PM
Tumbling Blocks First Time Polly Esther Quilting 7 August 9th 03 04:50 AM
Need tumbling Dr. Sooz Beads 34 July 9th 03 06:38 PM