Round Robins

Old September 1st 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

Default Round Robins

Hi Debra in Idaho, Get a cup of coffee this is going to be long!
I have a book called "Frienship Quilts of the '90s and Beyond - Round
Robin Quilts by Pat Maixner Magaret & Donna Ingram Slusser" it's
second hand so out of print I think but you could source it as I did
on the internet. It has a few options for RR and lots of good advice
but here's some pointers from me.
We learned how to do (or should I say how not to do) a RR the hard way
with our first one. You have to be organised and you have to lay down
some ground rules. Here are some pointers to give you an idea of how
to go about it. You can though decide your own rules:
Firstly you have to all agree you want to do a RR
Decide on the type of RR... ie all blocks, strips, or medallion (our
first one) there are more and there are books and articles in
magazines which will give you ideas. .
Everyone decides on their own theme for 'their' final quilt. You can
either provide all your own fabrics or put in a main fabric and then
others use fabric out of their stash (or as in our case we ended up
having to buy most of it ) This gets placed in a cardboard box with
the first round which you make.
Then a good idea to figure out who is going to pass to who. We didn't
do this for our first and got in a right pickle towards the end. If
you sit in a circle to decide this it makes it easier.
When making up your initial box with first block, etc. it's a good
idea to add some guidlines as to what you like and don't like regards
to colours etc. (another mishap with our first)(I could write a book
here)
Also one of the rules should be, and I know this sounds bossy, but
when you work on someone elses box you should do your very best
work!! AND don't leave it to the last minute to do.
Give yourself a time frame ie swaps once a month. And if you're a
person who leaves things to the last minute make sure you give
yourself a false deadline that is sometime before the swap date.
Decide if you want to keep the boxes secret or reveal each stage.
Best if secret but conferring with others whose box it isn't has to be
allowed 'cos sometimes you need a second opinion.
I could go on, and on, and on but I think by now you'll be getting the
gist.
So finally, I have to admit, that all though at times the RRs are
frustrating, and scary (when you're working on someone else's box) in
the end it is always worth it and masicistically enjoyable and you end
up with the most unusual quilts that are most definitely ONE OF A
KIND. And when you get to the date when you all open up your box to
reveal the final work others have done for you (if blocks or strips
you'll get to put these together yourself) it's like Christmas with
all the ooos and arrrrs.
Anyway I think I've said enough for this morning. I hope you do
decide to have a go as it's worth it... Good Luck Elly

Old September 1st 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Anther point to discuss before you start swapping and sewing: does it matter
to anyone how big the final result will be, or if everyone's quilt ends up a
different size? The last RR I was in, we started with medallions any size up
to 16" IIRC. No restrictions on border sizes. Some people's quilts finished
at bed size, and others' a smallish WH. You may decide you don't care, but
it could be a burden for those who feel forced to buy much more fabric.
On the whole, RRs are a fun way to challenge yourself!
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old September 1st 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You can avoid the 'how large will it end up' problem (which I readily
recognise) by making a row robin and stipulating the width of the rows
and the sashings. Bit more regulatory, but no hard feelings afterwards!
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 1st 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

On Sep 1, 2:35 pm, Patti wrote:
You can avoid the 'how large will it end up' problem (which I readily
recognise) by making a row robin and stipulating the width of the rows
and the sashings. Bit more regulatory, but no hard feelings afterwards!
.
In message , Roberta Zollner
writesAnther point to discuss before you start swapping and sewing: does it matter
to anyone how big the final result will be, or if everyone's quilt ends up a
different size? The last RR I was in, we started with medallions any size up
to 16" IIRC. No restrictions on border sizes. Some people's quilts finished
at bed size, and others' a smallish WH. You may decide you don't care, but
it could be a burden for those who feel forced to buy much more fabric.
On the whole, RRs are a fun way to challenge yourself!
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

That's if, Patti, everyone agrees to a stipulated width of a strip!!
I tried to agree one width with our strippy RR but everyone else
wanted to please themselves! Made for an 'interesting' time when it
came to putting them together! However, I think I ended up with a
more interesting quilt as a result. See my one on the web shots
pages. Elly

Old September 1st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Patti wrote:
You can avoid the 'how large will it end up' problem (which I readily
recognise) by making a row robin and stipulating the width of the rows
and the sashings. Bit more regulatory, but no hard feelings afterwards!

I'm taking part in a row robin at the moment, it's been determined that
the width of each row must be 48inches and that the height must be
between 6 and 8 inches, the rows are kept separate until the end and
then it's the owners choice whether or not to add sashing. We were
supposed to include a background fabric and any others we want used, so
I included 2 yards of my chosen background and kept a yard back for
sashing and/or inner borders. I also included a tricky colour match from
border fabric I'd already chosen, a piece of the border fabric so people
could see it and the remains of a FQ I'd used. The only box I've
received so far didn't really have a specific background, but was
gorgeous green and cranberry batiks.

It really is going to be a challenge, deciding on my own was tricky, I
ended up doing 2 each of 3 basket blocks and diagonally setting them,
and setting the theme for the quilt to be flowers. The first I received
was easy as the only theme was batiks and there was plenty in the box,
but I know coming up I've got transport (the first row was a foundation
pieced train), 19th century fabrics and blocks, and I can't remember
what else, we have two groups in parallel, so I'm not entirely sure
which ones are in my group.

Cheers
Anne

round robins Anne Rogers Quilting 6 March 9th 07 03:29 AM
Round Robins Edith Teague Needlework 3 January 16th 07 03:44 AM
Any mini round robins? Christina Doucette Quilting 8 October 31st 05 01:33 AM
round robins teaparty56 Quilting 1 March 2nd 04 02:19 PM
Round Robins renae Needlework 6 January 17th 04 04:06 PM