could this pattern be made in a quilt style?

Old August 31st 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default could this pattern be made in a quilt style?

Jeanne, have you seen the Jacket Jazz series by Judy Martin? Lots of good
tips for making quilted jackets. Her technique builds patchwork sections on
top of a flannel base. The jacket can then be sewn together and lined
without more quilting. Experience tells me that a jacket lined in cotton is
very hard to wear over cotton clothing, especially in the sleeves -cotton
sticks! More comfortable to line it in silk.
Roberta in D

"nzlstar*" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
i thot of that.
either just two layers of patchwork design on top/reversible like a summer
weight quilt
or if any batting is used it would have to be extremely lightweight and
any quilting would have to be quite sparsely.
too much quilting and it would just not bend at all.
theres more to this than meets the eye.
i'm think'n thru it tho.
jeanne

"Anne Rogers" wrote...
something quilted wouldn't drape the same way something knitted would
Anne

anything else i'm missing?

Old August 31st 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Jeanne:

Yes, I can picture this as a sleeveless quilted jacket,
but can't figure out how to add sleeves. Maybe if I
made up on sleeveless model, I could move on to making
the version with sleeves. Since I do not knit, I cannot
figure out what is the diameter of the sweater. I would
need that info to get started. If anyone has that
answer, please let us know! Ta.

Choosing the right materials would be important. To be
successful, one would need a very fine, drapy batting,
and one would have to be careful not to have too much
close quilting. The fabric should be of the softer
variety, nothing cheap with too much filler. But, those
are just detains ... this could be a FUN project!

PAT in VA/USA

nzlstar* wrote:

http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=138024

check the design laid out flat at the bottom of the page.
i wonder if you made the sleeves up separately and sew'd them into the space
between rows....
i guess u'd have to not add too much quilting or place it carefully so the
jacket laid correctly.
hmmmmmmm, might work.
anyone see issues or got anymore ideas on this as a possible quilt jacket?
just thunk'n outloud again.
jeanne
currently eating a late breakfast so brain still somewhat incoherent,
probly this wont work at all

Old August 31st 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

thinking how this might go together with quilting materials....
from the pix' of the jacket in use and the pix of it laid out flat at the
bottom of the page....
looks to me, for an adult, the centre circle is about 7 or 8 inches across.
this lays when worn around the middle of your back with half the circle
coming up your back to the neck, folding down as a collar or could be (as
shows where child is wearing it) as a sort of hood effect.
add to the centre circle, 6 or 7 concentric circles of 'about' 3 inches in
wedges.
wedges are swirled in the knittle version, would they need to be as a quilt?
the sleeves get inserted into the join of one section of one of the circles
as shown.
might need to make the sections a size that will accomodate the sleeve of
course.
i wonder would it work to insert sleeve using two sections if you stick with
the section size shown.
i'm sure this is do-able but as i am not the greatest garment maker some of
it is eluding my thought processes.
really now i'm just considering how this would/should go together.

i've a top mom made me years ago. a circle folded in half with a neck-hole
in a T shape cut out and finished off.
then stitching up either side along the body in a straight line leaving the
edges hanging loose.
top of the T laid across the back of neck, 'trunk' of the T laid down the
front about 7 or 8 inches from the front of neck.
once finished off with a bit of ribbon to tie it shut, it fit quite well.
the whole thing was hemmed of course.
dont know if that makes any sense.
it was cool, comfortable and looked cute in summer.
no longer wear it but havent gotten rid of it as yet.
mom made me few clothes once i left childhood and no longer have any of
those around.
jeanne

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
Cute! Might be possible, but fiddly. (Wish I could see a front view of the
sweater -almost looks like the front sort of drapes into folds.) One could
just cut an armseye on each side and then add proper fabric sleeves with a
cap to fit well.

The problem is that a quilted piece might be too firm to drape the way it
should. Instead of doing it exactly like this, you might be better off
taking a normal jacket pattern and cutting it out of your quilted piece.
You could easily adapt the pattern to round in the back and come up to a
sort of bolero front. Make a separate shawl collar and quilt that (re-cut
after quilting the top) plus sleeves.

Old August 31st 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

oh no, i meant this with quilted sleeves.
making up the sleeves then inserting into a section of the rest of the
circle.
made with wedges, sorta like bargello is done in a circle, very sorta, lol,
sleeves inserted, hmmmm, might need to insert quilted sleeves into a wider
point than those that are knitted, eh.
i hate doing mock-ups, drives me bonkers.
i much prefer thunk'n it out til i cant thunk no more.

seems to me take'n into consideration the pix, both laid flat and as worn...
the centre circle size looks to me about 7" or 8".
then each row about 3" wide with 6...
so maybe the final diametre of the circle is about 45", give or take a few.
i rounded it up a bit.
i could well be way off base on that too.
the centre circle sits right at mid back, say around the heart position.
so from there maybe measure how long you want it to be over your hips.
if you wanted it really long, would have to make it an oval-ish shape...i
can pix in my head but for the life of me can not explain that.
hmmmmmmm, more thunk'n downunder,
jeanne

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...

Old September 1st 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

reading thru the pattern just noticed this, doh, silly me.

it can also be worn two ways - as pictured above, with the longer part of
the circle below the sleeves, for a long, dressy look, or with the shorter
part of the circle below the sleeves for a more casual short jacket look.

hmmmmm, dont know if that would work if the sleeves were quilted tho.
would they fit comfortably either way?
as i said, i'm not all that great at understanding garment sewing.
still thunk'n tho,
jeanne

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old September 1st 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i've got a dresden plate wedge ruler.
not sure what size it is tho.
must check that later today and get back to ya.
jeanne

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
Got a 9-degree wedge ruler?
Roberta in D

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old September 2nd 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I mention it because there are a number of books based on the 9-degree
concept (takes 40 wedges to make a circle) and some of them explain how to
do bargello-type designs. "Round About Quilts" by Michelle Watts has a
design called Amish Stars that would make a great center back for your
jacket.

Old September 2nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

thanks, Roberta,
i'll google her now and what info will add to my ideas.
cheers,
jeanne
i need food now and another cuppa

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
I mention it because there are a number of books based on the 9-degree
concept (takes 40 wedges to make a circle) and some of them explain how to
do bargello-type designs. "Round About Quilts" by Michelle Watts has a
design called Amish Stars that would make a great center back for your
jacket.
Roberta in D

i've got a dresden plate wedge ruler.
not sure what size it is tho.
must check that later today and get back to ya.
jeanne

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
Got a 9-degree wedge ruler?
Roberta in D

Retro style dress made with NEW JoAnn fabric - picture Joy Hardie Sewing 10 February 8th 05 06:45 PM
NEEDING A FLARE STYLE JACKET PATTERN Phyllis Sewing 3 July 3rd 04 03:21 PM
Has anyone made this project from this simplicity pattern? ferret_lover Sewing 18 January 12th 04 01:41 PM
Style pattern 1425 S R Glickman Sewing 2 August 31st 03 10:30 PM
Mission Style? Prairie style? Cheryl Isaak Needlework 12 August 26th 03 11:30 AM