Repairing a chip on a CRT

Old December 4th 04, 09:12 AM
Yahya Farooq

Default Repairing a chip on a CRT

Hi all,
Hope you guys here can help me out.
I bought a used 21" computer monitor recently and it has a small (~2mm
dia) nick on the screen. It's very shallow, I can barely feel it with a
fingernail, but it's very visible and annoying as it's close to the
center of the screen. Is there any way to make it less visible?
There might be some sort of coating on the glass, I can't tell for sure.
Thanks
Yahya Farooq
Old December 4th 04, 01:42 PM
Mike Firth

Probably not, but ...
If it is into the glass, it can't be fixed and it may be rather dangerous,
since you have a vacuum bomb aimed at your face.
If it is in an antiglare coating, you might be able to scrape all the
coating off, with the risk of not getting all off and of scratching the
screen.
Although I would find it a nuisance, you could make it less visible by ...
1. Touching it spot with clear nail nail polish which MIGHT reduce the
sharpness of the visible nick or
2. Put a little tiny smiley face :-) label over the spot, which would
make the nick less visible or
3. Put a smudge on your glasses in just the right spot so the nick is
blurred if you sit very still, making the nick less visible.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old December 4th 04, 04:13 PM
Henry Halem

Dymax has a UV crystal clear potting compound as does Loctite. After
Googling both, call either Dymax or Loctite for their advice or to find a
distributor where you live. The potting compound is liquid and should fill
the nick. When exposed to a UV light, black light or sunlight it will harden
and make the nick almost invisible. You can purchase in very small
quantities.

Old December 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Chris the Unwise

And put a large, non-oscillating fan between you and the screen, to
provide pressure so that when the screen implodes, it has sufficient
intake.

Seriously, Yahya,

Here is one description of what could happen.
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00637.html

There's brief comment about damaged CRT screens and Xray emission in
this article:
http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q14_page.html

more precautionary statements he
http://www.tpub.com/content/fc/14098/css/14098_56.htm

++++++
Vacuum bombs, actually, are a different animal. From what I gather in
my very short very quick read, it's a bomb that initially explodes
inertly, spreading fuel which is then ignited from its gaseous state.
I am not a certified bomb mechanic.

God help us. Really Nasty stuff.

http://www.hrw.org/press/2000/02/chech0215b.htm

http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/clmf/faeseq.html
++++++

That said, it seems that someone else has tried to sand the screen of
his monitor to overcome a"chip" problem. I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS TECHNIQUE.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear

AGAIN, I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS TECHNIQUE, but if you insist on trying it,
OR KEEPING THIS MONITOR, please at least get a very strong screen cover
something similar in structure to this:
http://www.secure-it.com/products/privacy_desktop.htm
but made with some kind of safety glass.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm

The glass experts here can tell probably help you determine the best
glass to use for safety, and creating a frame is "what they do" but I
suspect that their advice, like mine, would be "all care, no
resposibility." They might try to help you make a dangerous situation a
bit safer, but the best thing to do would be to CHANGE THE SITUATION.

I do not know whether God will smite you if you sand down your computer
screen and thus exacerbate the structural flaw that seems to appear to
be cosmetic, but it does not sound prudent. I am asking you, please, to
avoid the temptation to nominate yourself for a darwin award.

OTOH, when I was very very young (under 5, I think) I took a hammer to
my parents TV. We had a nice constellation of dark stars hovering over
Bewitched. We kept the TV for years, though, and it didn't implode.
God forgive the sins of my youth, all the way up through the sins of my
present.

Sincerely,

Chris (the unwise)

May God mak you, and everyone who knows of your existence, HOLY. May
you let Him do so.

Old December 4th 04, 08:23 PM
Phil Kempster

Henry Halem wrote in
:

Dymax has a UV crystal clear potting compound as does Loctite. After
Googling both, call either Dymax or Loctite for their advice or to
find a distributor where you live. The potting compound is liquid and
should fill the nick. When exposed to a UV light, black light or
sunlight it will harden and make the nick almost invisible. You can
purchase in very small quantities.

You could try the auto windscreen repair folks. They can fix cracks and
chips in non-pressurized screens ;-)
Phil

Old December 26th 04, 09:58 PM
Kilcummin

There are repair kits available in auto supply stores for filling nicks in
windshields you might try one of those.

Old December 26th 04, 11:21 PM
Moonraker

"Kilcummin" wrote in message
There are repair kits available in auto supply stores for filling nicks in
windshields you might try one of those.

And be sure to have an ambulance standing by.

Old December 27th 04, 03:13 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Moonraker wrote:

"Kilcummin" wrote in message
There are repair kits available in auto supply stores for filling nicks in
windshields you might try one of those.

And be sure to have an ambulance standing by.

Why? The kits for windshields just use some kind of epoxy, don't they?
Why would that make anything happen if it hadn't already imploded?

Mike Beede
Old December 27th 04, 03:18 AM
Moonraker

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Moonraker

wrote:

"Kilcummin" wrote in message
There are repair kits available in auto supply stores for filling

nicks in
windshields you might try one of those.

And be sure to have an ambulance standing by.

Why? The kits for windshields just use some kind of epoxy, don't they?
Why would that make anything happen if it hadn't already imploded?

Mike Beede

The ones I was thinking about have a small diamond burr included that is
used to drill out the "chip" down to the laminate film so that there is a
place for the epoxy to go to. I just had an image of someone taking a
diamond burr and his Dremel to a CRT.

Old December 27th 04, 04:55 PM
Mike Beede

In article , Moonraker wrote:

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article , Moonraker

wrote:

"Kilcummin" wrote in message
There are repair kits available in auto supply stores for filling

nicks in
windshields you might try one of those.

And be sure to have an ambulance standing by.

Why? The kits for windshields just use some kind of epoxy, don't they?
Why would that make anything happen if it hadn't already imploded?

Mike Beede

The ones I was thinking about have a small diamond burr included that is
used to drill out the "chip" down to the laminate film so that there is a
place for the epoxy to go to. I just had an image of someone taking a
diamond burr and his Dremel to a CRT.

Oh. That would certainly be a bad idea. A _really_ bad idea.

Mike Beede