printers OT

Old May 23rd 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lelandite

Default printers OT

for the life of me, I can't think of the right printer I need so
that I can print out pictures and such on cloth.

Ink jet? That sounds right but right now I'm not sure. I
need a new printer but want to make sure it'll print on
cloth.

TIA

Donna
in WA
Old May 24th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Lelandite wrote:
for the life of me, I can't think of the right printer I need so
that I can print out pictures and such on cloth.

Ink jet? That sounds right but right now I'm not sure. I
need a new printer but want to make sure it'll print on
cloth.

most importantly, not laser - some companies use different names for
inkjets, or at least have in the past, bubble jet is one that comes to mind.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 24th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Yep -- Inkjet for sure (Laser printers SHOULD NOT be used with fabric.)

I have an Epson 4 in 1 that works really well. Have had very few problems with it.

One thing to consider is the the type of ink cartridges it uses. My Epson has 6 different ones (Black, Light Cyan, Cyan, Light Magenta, Magenta & Yellow). When one runs out -- I just replace that one.

My previous printer used an all in one cartridge -- one color runs out -- you have to replace the entire cartridge -- so you are throwing away ink.

Just my thoughts...

--
Kate in MI

Old May 24th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

I have just been reading through the book "Secrets of Digital Quilting
- from Camera to Quilt" by Lura Schwarz Smith & Kerby C.
Smith......lots of interesting and logical thoughts expressed by the
authors - perhaps the most important one to consider is to organize
camera setting with computer and printer settings for the best
results. ppi (pixels per inch) should match dpi (dots per inch) for
best coverage. If scanning a photo - scan to the desired finished
size so that the pixels are filled in before being sent to the
printer. Save photos as TIFFs not jpegs for best fabric photo
printing - do not alter an original photo file but make copies to play
with.
Another useful chart in the book is a comparison of various methods
both after printing and again after washing....with photos.

The authors use both Epson and Hp printers which use pigment based
inks rather than dye based ones. jennellh

Old May 25th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Lelandite wrote:
for the life of me, I can't think of the right printer I need so
that I can print out pictures and such on cloth.

Ink jet? That sounds right but right now I'm not sure. I
need a new printer but want to make sure it'll print on
cloth.

TIA

Donna
in WA

And.....if you're printing onto fabric you want to make sure that the
ink doesn't wash off. FWIW, a friend recently told me about Raycafix -
you soak the fabric in this stuff, let it dry, iron onto freezer paper
and trim to the size of a piece of paper. She lent me some to try - I
don't have first hand knowledge of it yet but she said that it went
through a wash with regular detergent without fading.

Another thing to think of - you need a high thread count percale if you
want to print something with a lot for detail.

Up to now I've been using Printed Treasures to print small things for
art quilts but I think the Raycafix will be more cost effective.

HTH
Allison