Floss Organizing System ??

Old January 30th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Floss Organizing System ??

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:
My problem is that I have very limited space and the cabinets are just
too big.

That depends on how much floss you have. If you're only separating by
generic color, and not an entire drawer for each number, you can fit
hundreds of skeins in one cabinet, which has a footprint about the size of
a sheet of typing paper. I figure I could stack 6 of them (2Wx3H) in less
room than a standard bookcase, and hold every skein of floss in the house.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/19/08 - Sesame Street group picture

WIP: Isabella's Garden, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

That would work very nicely if I had room for a standard bookcase. The
bookshelf that's in that room holds (surprise!) books. The cabinet holds
charts, fabrics, general needlework odds and ends and barely has room for
another strand of thread, no less something big. The only small closet has
all the rest of the needlework supplies and extra pillows and linens.
Obviously this is not a very big room.

Between my toys and Puff's toys, there really isn't much space.

I probably could stack Darice boxes if I got rid of the plastic bags and odd
size boxes that I presently use, so it looks like that's the way I'll have
to go.

Old January 30th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joannabanana

I love EasyThreads software. I originally bought it for my machine
embroidery thread, but have since added my DMC thread from all my projects.
I can easily see if I have a thread "in-stock" or do a color compare to see
if I have one close enough in color to use. The threads themselves are in
plastic baggies in little ring binders in numerical order.

Joann

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

Old January 30th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

Systems tried and discarded:

floss braided onto white plastic rings and rings placed on large metal
rings - advantage to this: you can pull out one thread at a time, it's
all precut
disadvantage: awkward once you have a lot of floss, time spent
braiding it onto the rings, no place for leftover useful bits

Lo-Ran - Advantage: hmmm, I can't think of any - wait, it's precut
disadvantages: time spent putting floss into system, I ended up with
four binder things so it was exactly fast to find what I was looking
for, no place for leftover useful bits, not a lot of room for multiple
skeins

bobbins - I admit I never had my entire collection on bobbins. I tried
to start to use this system. Used it with a large project. I hated the
time spent winding onto bobbins. Didn't like the kinks in the floss

What I use now - it's not perfect - but I'm a floss-away bag person -
I have all the DMC colors in bags on large metal rings and all rings
are stored in one Rubbermaid tote with a DMC color chart
Advantages: can store multiple skeins in one bag, place for leftover
useful bits
disadvantages: takes up a lot of room, sometimes have to hunt for the
correct ring (it's always on the bottom)

Good luck deciding!

Donna in Virginia
Old January 30th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
[...]

I kind of use a similar system now. Plastic Bags and rings or boxes sorted
by color. I'm running out of room and it's getting messy so I decided that
I need something neater. I think I'll try the bobbins and see. It's not
that big an investment so I'll give it a shot. Winding the bobbins ought to
be great fun. I imagine it's something like watching paint dry, but maybe
that's what I need to keep me out of trouble.

I suppose I'll still have to use plastic baggies for the extra skeins and
I have a little cabinet with drawers that so far is big enough for the
specialty stuff. I don't have a lot of silks so for now I have a very nice
box that they fit in nicely.

Thanks to everyone for their good advice. It really gave me incite and
helped me to make a decision.

RCTNers always come through.

Lucille

Old January 30th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Donna wrote:
disadvantages: takes up a lot of room, sometimes have to hunt for the
correct ring (it's always on the bottom)

Couldn't you hang the rings? Put them in order across the bar of a
sturdy clothes hanger. If you have lots of bags, buy one of those
multi-level hangers, designed to hold half a dozen skirts/slacks.

Old January 30th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Lucille wrote:

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:

[...]

BTW, I put all the specialty flosses on big rings. My bed has a tall
cupboard each side of it, by the headboard.( The lower part are
drawers). I put the adhesive hooks on the inner side of the door, and
hang the WDW, GAST etc all on those. The little cupboards also have
shelves, and five Darice boxes fit nicely on top of each other on a
shelf. For beads I bought the watchmaker boxes from Lee something (
brain fart). Each has a bunch of tiny circular tins with clear tops, so
you can see the beads. I stack these boxes too. In a yard sale I found
some lovely small square boxes, about 4 inches square, and the height of
kreinik spools. DH is now on some sort of cream, and the inserts in the
medicine box, when cut down, make wonderful dividers for the kreinik.

Gill
Old January 30th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mag

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense
and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color
of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

for, no place for leftover useful bits, not a lot of room for multiple
skeins

bobbins - I admit I never had my entire collection on bobbins. I tried
to start to use this system. Used it with a large project. I hated the
time spent winding onto bobbins. Didn't like the kinks in the floss

What I use now - it's not perfect - but I'm a floss-away bag person -
and Lucille

I have all the regular DMC colors plus extras. All are wrapped on the
smaller of the plastic
bobbins. They all fit in 2 "Jammers" boxes. I learned about the Jammer
boxes right
here on rctn. Apparently designed for a type of small toy car, they are
clear
plastic, double sided and a perfect fit. FWIW

mag

Old January 30th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:00:51 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

[...]

Oh dear, did we incite you ??? RDH lol

Well, someone had to point out my "senior moment." Oh how I wish there was
a stupidly, dumbly, wrongly spelled word check instead of just a plain spell
check. It really should point something like that out with a question mark
and a popup that says--Do you really mean that ????

;*))

Old January 31st 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 6:15 pm, Gill Murray wrote:
Lucille wrote:

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:

[...]

Lee Valley Tools, maybe? I think they had the watchmaker boxes in
their Christmas catalogue.

Louisa
Old January 31st 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Lucille wrote:

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Louisa, those are the folk. They have such cool stuff in their
catalogue!

Gill

New Floss and Fiber Storage System Chip and Allie Orange Needlework 22 August 3rd 07 01:47 AM
Organizing stamps Jeannette Marsala Rubberstamps 0 July 14th 05 06:29 PM
Organizing to quilt Joan Quilting 0 March 20th 05 05:11 PM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 04:49 AM
Organizing Stash! Pat in Virginia Quilting 30 February 3rd 05 06:01 PM