sheets

Old August 31st 03, 07:18 PM
Diane Carter

Default sheets

Hi gang, I was just cleaning out the closet with sheets and throwing away
some newer sheets that I no longer have bed for them to fit. I have heard
that you can't use sheets for the back of quilts but I have never heard why.
Can you use them for quilts that are to be used for wall hangings? Just
wondering Diane

Old August 31st 03, 07:57 PM
Kristen L. Renneker

the only reason i have heard not to use sheets for backing is if you hand
quilt...it can be hard to needle.

kristen

Old August 31st 03, 08:05 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Diane, good sheets are usually percale and are usually very tightly woven
(high thread count). That makes them more difficult (some nearly
impossible) to hand-quilt than are typical quilting fabrics. Some are even
difficult to tie. I've never machine quilted. They might be OK for that.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old August 31st 03, 08:27 PM
Queen of Squishies

I use sheets for the backs of quilts - don't throw them away!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 1st 03, 12:52 AM
Polly Esther

And if you have pieces of sheets leftover, they are just great for the base
for string-piecing , crazy quilt blocks, and I even use them for paper
piecing. With the paper piecing, I don't tear away, I just leave it in. Oh
my yes, it is hard to hand quilt but mq is just fine. Polly

ink.net...

Old September 1st 03, 12:42 PM
Musicmaker

Tho difficult - not impossible - just get a monster needle and brightly
colored floss-type thread and quilt away. NEVER throw a sheet away unless
it needs mending. Then, get rid of it as fast as you can before the burden
becomes too great and you try to mend it.

--
Lady Cynthia, Royal Musicmaker

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/

A little boy was in a relative's Wedding. As he
was coming down the aisle, he would take two steps,
stop, and turn to the crowd. While facing the
crowd, he would put his hands up like claws and
roar. So it went-step, step, ROAR; step, step,
ROAR; all the way down the aisle. As you can
imagine, the crowd was near tears from laughing so
hard by the time he reached the pulpit. When
asked what he was doing the child sniffed and
said, "I was being the Ring Bear."

Old September 1st 03, 01:22 PM
Polly Esther

Ooops, Shelly. Sorry. I didn't explain that very well did I? I mean I use
leftover pieces of sheets *instead of* paper. I'm afraid too many Labor Day
miles has affected my brain. Polly

Shelly glass angel at charter dot net wrote in message
Doesn't that make your quilts sound crinklely when using them? lol What
happens to the paper when you wash the quilt? Seems like the paper would
come off the quilt and roll up in little balls inside the quilt or
something.
Shelly
I know I've slept under these but didn't know WHY the quilt sounded like

it
did at the time. lol
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
And if you have pieces of sheets leftover, they are just great for the

base
for string-piecing , crazy quilt blocks, and I even use them for paper
piecing. With the paper piecing, I don't tear away, I just leave it in.

Oh
my yes, it is hard to hand quilt but mq is just fine. Polly

Queen of Squishies wrote in message
ink.net...
I use sheets for the backs of quilts - don't throw them away!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

---

Old September 1st 03, 01:59 PM
Roberta Zollner

No reason why you can't use them for machine quilting. I've done it
frequently (although I would eschew poly-cotton, nasty stuff, don't sleep on
it either). Good and often cheaper source of extra-wide backing! Sheets
aren't easy to hand quilt though.
Roberta in D

Old September 1st 03, 02:26 PM
Dianne

I never thought of using sheets. I'll have to go down to dh's rag drawer
and take back all my old sheets to cut up for paper piecing as I just hate
sewing through paper!! and I hate tearing it all off, such a waste of my
time! I think you know by now that I'm not a big fan of paper piecing! LOL
but I do like the perfect blocks you get from using this method

--
Dianne
Prince Edward Island