OFF TOPIC - time for one of those questions

Old April 30th 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

Default OFF TOPIC - time for one of those questions

Hi Cheryl,

My daughter is 17 in final year of high school but has been wearing
scent since about 11 as "all" her friends were putting on deodorant
sprays after sports.
I have an intense dislike of antiperspirant and deodorants since
developing allergies to them. I got a salt-based deodorant for her and
as a compromise bought her some decent french-perfume to wear. There
are some lovely modern scents available now, quite suitable for young
girls. I've continued to get her expensive perfume and as she knows it
is expensive is quite sparing with it.

I started wearing make-up around 15 so when DD was 15 I got her a
travel set from a very reputable brand with a nice range of colours
for her to experiment with. I didn't make a any fuss about make-up
except of being very firm about a proper cleansing routine. The travel
kit lasted a year or so, and since then she has purchased a few items
but only wears a small amount of make-up occasionally. Her school
allows a small amount of make up.

As others have said, pick your battles. I am more concerned that my
daughter is buying quality products and getting into good habits for
cleansing, moisturising etc than with what colours she paints onto her
face.

But don't get me started on hair colour. Currently my DD has magenta
hair and has had some eye-popping colours. She has a little job and
pays out most of her money on her hair stylist! Goodness knows what
she will be like when she goes to university next year.

Regards, Annette in NZ

Old April 30th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

Liz from Humbug wrote:

No kids but still have input. :-) I never really got into makeup and
rarely wear any scent since so many workplaces are scent free due to
allergies and problems with people not knowing when to stop. I DO,
however have three nieces! They started wearing lip gloss and nail
polish around 12 or so. When the two older ones were turning 13, I
(after checking with their moms) went to the local dollar store and
bought them each $10 worth of lip gloss, nail polish, eye liner, etc.
I wrapped each item individually and then wrapped the bigger box that
they received. They LOVED them. The girls' birthdays are 6 weeks
apart so they both opened them on the same day, when I was visiting.
We (my sisters and I) decided that they were interested enough in make
up to start trying it and all the parents agreed that they would much
rather the girls try the stuff out at home to find out how to do it as
well as what looked nice and what crosse the line and made them look
like baby hookers. :-)) They were still allowed to go only so far on
school days, with maybe a little extra for special occasions. Now
that the girls just turned 21, They seem to have it down pretty well
and only use enough to accentuate their natural beauty. I may be
prejudiced, being a doting aunt and all, but I, naturally, think they
are beautiful enough not to need any at all. :-)))
Liz from Humbug

Something just crossed my mind about the safety issue...buying them
their own makeup gives you an opportunity to emphasize "no sharing" and
proper hygiene issues. If you didn't get them their own makeup, they'd
likely borrow someone else's mascara, gloss, etc. etc., and bacteria
sharing is NOT a good thing!

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old April 30th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

Karen C - Calif wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:
Something just crossed my mind about the safety issue...buying them
their own makeup gives you an opportunity to emphasize "no sharing"
and proper hygiene issues. If you didn't get them their own makeup,
they'd likely borrow someone else's mascara, gloss, etc. etc., and
bacteria sharing is NOT a good thing!

Good point. Give yourself a gold star. (Or a skein of specialty fiber,
if you prefer.)

Well, probably just as you were typing this, I was in the needlepoint
store buying a skein of Soy Lustre! (Great minds DO think alike!)

And glad I did stop today. I purchased two skeins awhile ago to start a
medium-sized project, and am finishing the first skein with not quite
half of it done. I thought I'd better get another skein quick, so that
if it's not the same dye lot, I can work it in with the second skein to
avoid a difference visible to the eye.

There was one skein of a different but quite close dye lot, and the
other five skeins were from a dye lot that was WAY different than mine!
So glad I was thinking ahead (for a change).

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old May 1st 10, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/28/10 3:27 PM, in article
, "Donna"
wrote:

On Apr 28, 8:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok mothers of daughters - at what age did you allow your daughter to

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

DD has had light scented body sprays for a year+ now (post gym, it is needed
along with the deodorant).

*She just bought her first lip gloss - no color, but lots of gloss..(ok it's
flavored too)..

I'm ambivalent about it folks - I see most of her friends wearing lip gloss
and many of them with eye liner and mascara too..

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Cheryl

It was never an issue for me with my parents because I had the older
sister paving the way and fighting all those battles. I can remember
wearing hot pants and knee high black boots when I was in junior high,
that how lax the standards got at my house!

You little tart you LOL!
As for my own daughter, she definitely had her own make-up to
experiment with by the time she was thirteen. Mostly she'd just shut
herself in the bathroom and play with the stuff. I did full make-up on
her when she was eleven for her Halloween costume as a movie star and
realized how dangerous it was as she looked eighteen easily.

Yep - even with out make up or even dressing up, DD is often mistaken for
older than she is. At the hockey banquet, one of DS's teammates was taken to
task for thinking HIS 11 yo SISTER WAS CUTE....

She didn't really start wearing make-up outside the house except for
lip gloss until she was sixteen.

We never really made an issue of it and neither did she.

We're not - at the moment - lip gloss is fine

Cheryl

Old May 1st 10, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/30/10 4:24 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

Karen C - Calif wrote:
Susan Hartman wrote:
Something just crossed my mind about the safety issue...buying them
their own makeup gives you an opportunity to emphasize "no sharing"
and proper hygiene issues. If you didn't get them their own makeup,
they'd likely borrow someone else's mascara, gloss, etc. etc., and
bacteria sharing is NOT a good thing!

Good point. Give yourself a gold star. (Or a skein of specialty fiber,
if you prefer.)

Well, probably just as you were typing this, I was in the needlepoint
store buying a skein of Soy Lustre! (Great minds DO think alike!)

LOL

Old May 1st 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/30/10 12:33 AM, in article
, "Annette
from NZ" wrote:

[...]

Oh my - so far DS and DD have played with the add a color sprays/gels. Since
their hair, like mine and DH, is very very dark, it just doesn't show up.
Except on collars, hats.....

Cheryl

Old May 1st 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:33:47 -0700 (PDT), Annette from NZ
wrote:
If she's anything like we were in college - color only when $$ was
available, which wasn't often..... So maybe it's best she's getting
it out of her system now