A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Needlework
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Floss Organizing System ??

Old May 30th 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
cara1158
external usenet poster

Default Floss Organizing System ??

I know this is a super-old thread but I'm jumping into it anyway.

I used to use the bobbins which were great for space-saving but frankly a PITA to sit there winding them. Now I use the Floss Away ziplocs, I write the DMC number on the top edge. But I don't store them on the rings which I find rather cumbersome to store. Instead I 'file' the ziplocs in clear stackable shoe-type boxes (perfect width), in numerical order, and the boxes are marked on the fronts with the run of color numbers inside. At the end of the DMCs, I have a "miscellaneous" section of other brands, etc. When I start a project, I go through and pull the colors I need, and I loop those ziplocs onto a ring to easily carry around with the project. When I'm done I just re-file them. Also when I run out of a color, I pull the empty bag and put it in my purse to remind me to buy more.

I do keep a DMC color card too, the colors checked off that I have, which I also carry with me so I can pick up missing ones, esp. if there's a good sale somewhere.

Just my two cents, FWIW.
Cindi
Ads
Old May 31st 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]
external usenet poster

funny how things come around..... I recently bought some Floss-Away
bags and just completed putting my Anchors threads in them. I got
some smaller rings from Home Depot and have 10 bags on each ring;
stored in a plastic box; shoved under the bed. Now I have to sort and
'bag-away' my DMC threads...

Rich

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:05:09 -0700 (PDT), cara1158
wrote:

I used to use the bobbins which were great for space-saving but frankly
a PITA to sit there winding them. Now I use the Floss Away ziplocs.....
Cindi

Old June 11th 13, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach
external usenet poster

I inherited from my mother-in-law a set of bags on rings -- I don't know the brand name, but they were zip top with two holes on the edge -- they were bigger and thicker than the bags I've found more recently. She picked the bags up YEARS ago and had a large set of DMC in them -- already numbered.

After giving them to my wife & me, she got back into needlework and ended up making a whole set of bobbins in boxes. I don't like the bobbins. Seems like the floss ends up getting fuzzy. Could that have had something to do with the winding?

If I could find the big, thick bags again, I'd buy up a bunch! I love it as an organization system -- I group the bags by number (any other scheme would NEVER work for me). I pull out the bags needed for a project and keep them on a ring in my bag. I can even break it down further if I want to travel and only work on certain sections. I love it!
Old June 14th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I separated mine ( when not using it for an active project) by color family. All the reds and pinks in one baggie, yellows in another, greens ---you get the idea.

I tried wrapping them around those little cardboard reels - not good for me.

Old July 21st 13, 08:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Damazinah
external usenet poster

Cindi, how do you keep the bags from sliding down in the box? I did the same for a while, but went back to th erings because the bags kept slipping underneath one another.

Jacqueline in Central QLD

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 12:05:09 UTC+10, cara1158 wrote:

I used to use the bobbins which were great for space-saving but frankly a PITA to sit there winding them. Now I use the Floss Away ziplocs, I write the DMC number on the top edge. But I don't store them on the rings which I find rather cumbersome to store. Instead I 'file' the ziplocs in clear stackable shoe-type boxes (perfect width), in numerical order, and the boxes are marked on the fronts with the run of color numbers inside. At the end of the DMCs, I have a "miscellaneous" section of other brands, etc. When I start a project, I go through and pull the colors I need, and I loop those ziplocs onto a ring to easily carry around with the project. When I'm done I just re-file them. Also when I run out of a color, I pull the empty bag and put it in my purse to remind me to buy more.

Old September 4th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
cara1158
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:06:54 AM UTC-4, Damazinah wrote:
Cindi, how do you keep the bags from sliding down in the box? I did the same for a while, but went back to th erings because the bags kept slipping underneath one another.

Jacqueline in Central QLD

Sorry for the delay in responding, Jacqueline. I got a new job right after posting this and frankly the whole summer flew by, so busy, and stitching was sadly backburnered.

At any rate: Yes, the bags do slide down at first but I fill the box rather snugly just for that reason, and it's fine once it's full. All-in-all I have found this method to be the best for me. The boxes hold a LOT of the baggies and are very easy to store, I just shelve them on top of my bookcase and I can see from the fronts what numbers are in each, which one I need to grab to get the threads I need.

I never could handle the rings method--too floppy and having to flip through the rings trying to find the one I need, or even which ring to look through. And they were awkward and sloppy trying to store them, though I suppose they could be hung somehow on a bulletin board or whatnot. Ultimately though once I tried the shoe box filing system, it just worked so well, loved it.