Best batting for baby quilt - polyester or cotton

Old August 26th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Default Best batting for baby quilt - polyester or cotton

Hi all

I really need your help here - I am out of my depth. Very good friend has
just become a grandmother and asked me to make a baby quilt for her new
grandson. Now, babies - let alone baby quilts - are not my favourite
things - so I am swimming in deep water vbg.

I have made what is probably a totally unsuitable top (hoffman panel with
bears and ducks and other stuff) and made it a bit larger with a final
border of scrapy four patches. The back is my interpretation of a baby quilt
12 x 14 3" rail fence blocks in barn-raising layout in shades of blue yellow
and turqoise with a large turqoise border around the outside to make is the
same size (more or less) as the front.

Now to my question:

Is cotton or poly batt better - and why?

I have both and don't quite know what to do next. The quilt will be used in
England if temparatures make a difference.

Help ....

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old August 26th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I would suggest the cotton batt over the polyester. I like the softness of
the cotton, to me it's just more people and baby friendly.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 26th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Ooh, a religious issue!
My own preference is always natural fiber. Cotton breathes, it shrinks up
and makes a lovely textured surface, drapes well, and it's a lot easier to
machine quilt, if that's your plan. Assuming your fabrics are also cotton,
why not stick with a good thing? And there's the fire safety issue, not that
your friend will ever suffer a fire. Polyester melts and sticks, cotton
needs a much higher temperature before it will burn.
Sounds like a really pretty quilt!
Roberta in D

Old August 26th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Morag in Scotland

I would go for a cotton. You are always advised as a parent to use natural
fibres for bedding and clothing as much as possible as it helps stop the
baby becoming overheated.
Morag

Old August 26th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote:

[...]

Tutu, I'd go with the cotton. Poly is nice, but it doesn't breathe the
way cotton does, so it's not as nice when you're underneath it. G
Besides, cotton is, I believe, a bit warmer.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 26th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Thanks for all the input so far.

My initial instinct was to go for cotton. I loathe poly, so why (despite my
kidphobia) should a baby have to put up with it.

Also as all my fabric is cotton, if I use cotton then it could get forgotten
in the tumble dryer without major damage. But lots of sites say that poly is
fun and puffy for kids. sigh

I'm tending more and more to cotton - are there ANY downsides??

--
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old August 26th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I'm tending more and more to cotton - are there ANY downsides??

yes, a quilt with cotton batting can be a bit stiffer than one with poly
batting and initially not feel as soft, to get round this, my suggestion
would be to choose a cotton batting that allows a large space between
lines of quilting and not quilt it densely, it will soften up with use
and washing.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 26th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
[...]

Sounds lovely. I'm in the middle of baby quilts too (unfortunately also
for other people's grandchildren!) and I've used cotton batting. I chose it:

1. Because can be well washed at whatever temperature the Mum chooses
(though I do put a 'Care label' on saying the quilt has already been
washed at 40degrees, delicate wash with a Silk/Wool detergent.
2. If she decides to give it a good ironing it will survive!
3. Nice natural charateristics - I like to sleep under unmanmade bedding.
3. I like using it - don't enjoy quilting poly!

I don't think temperature would be an issue - houses are centrally
heated anyway, and the days of frosting on the inside are long gone,
thank goodness.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 26th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Tutu Haynes-Smart" wrote:

I'm tending more and more to cotton - are there ANY downsides??

I think the worst downside is that a quilt with cotton batting weighs
more than one with poly. But that is relatively minor. Also, don't
forget that in case of fire (which we all hope doesn't happen, of
course), poly *melts* and can cause worse damage to the human body than
cotton, which burns cleanly.

Old August 26th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I had a request from my son for a puffy quilt, suitable fo putting on the
floor. Soooo, my thought was to make a poly quilt, it is really puffy and
very cool. I am also going to make a cotton batting quilt for a blanket. I
am also going to make a smaller "blankie" that will just fit over the baby
when being held. Then, I have been thinking of making.....LOL

Love the idea of a grandbaby to make things for.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes