The Beadmakers Liberation Front

Old February 12th 04, 09:43 PM
Christina Peterson

Hi Sharon,

Glad you have come to join us. Another Aussie. This must be the hottest
part of summer now, for you. Here in Fairbanks, Alaska we just had our
first day of above freezing weather yesterday. It was a record high.

What kind of beading have you been doing?

Tina

"zakvesh" wrote in message
om.au...
hi everyone, i'm a newbie to your newsgroup and have only been beading for

short time... i haven't ventured into lampwork as yet, mostly due to the
expense (but i think my own ignorance lol)... Kandice, I have just had a
look at your website and your jewellery and beads are absolutely
exquisite... I noticed on your auction page that these bracelets

initially
started at $9.99 and are now well over $70 -- so it goes to show that the
$9.99 is an attraction that brings in the bids... and it works! BTW is
that price acceptable to you?? or is it only just covering costs? (i only
ask because i don't want to 'overpay' for beads, but i certainly want to
know what they are worth because as the seller & manufacturer you need to
make $$$$$ -- otherwise what is the point! -- Also, I would like to think
that as part of the beading community I'm not hurting any of my
"sisters"...)

I make this post as i have been reading your "Beadmakers Liberation Front"
thread... I, like others within your group, can see both sides. As a
beader, obviously the less i pay for my beads, the more profit goes into

my
own pocket and that's only a natural want of anybody. Having said that,
when you see such beautiful beads as Kandice's you can clearly see their
worth and I can see how the collection fettish could quite easily stick.

I will keep reading and throwing my 2c worth in every now & then if that's
ok... I'm just starting up my market here (in Western Australia) and

would
like to learn everything possible... oh & Kandice you'll hear from me

again,
because my goal now is to buy at least one of your beautiful pieces and I
will also make a point of having a look at the rest of the sites in this
group... I had no idea there was so much variety, and so many talented
people... and i love the way that every piece is as individual as the

person
that makes them.

Your friend in beading,
Sharon (no www, no links... yet!)

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
Thank you for this. Every bead I put up for sale sells in a very short
amount of time, and mostly for a very decent price - even the ones on my
website. I never have any inventory. I know it may sound like I am
bragging, but I am not. I have to disappoint many customers who email

or
call and ask what I have on hand that they can buy right now. This is

why
have such a difficult time making up any invetory for a show. It just

sells
too fast (not that I'm complaining!!). I feel very very fortunate that

this
is the case. Many lampworkers do have a lot of beads in inventory, even
though their beads are just gorgeous. For some reason, people just like

my
stuff, and they like how I market my stuff. I am really happy about

that!!
Of course, I work like a dog and I have no other life, but that's the

way
it
goes. I wouldn't change it for millions upon millions of dollars,

either.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I think that the people complaining about low selling prices should

look
inward, rather than outward. If your beads are truly unique and

technically
perfect, you'll have the world beating a path to your door - and

probably
sooner rather than later. Kandice, you're a perfect example of this.

(even
though you are evil and "heh, heh, heh" at me all the time) You

really
haven't been at your craft for a very long time, but I suspect that

you
have
very few beads that go unsold (or sell for a pittance). Your beads

are
beautiful, and your customers recognize that they are well worth the

money.

Old February 12th 04, 10:27 PM
Kandice Seeber

Hi Sharon - heck yeah, slipt them up! They are meant to be taken off of the
copper wire so you can do whatever you wish with them. As for making them
into jewelry, they are very very durable and will withstand anything your
other beads will withstand, so have fun. I make jewelry only very
occasionally now - I am so busy making beads!
Also, as for lampwork on ebay - a lot of that cheap stuff you are referring
to is imported from China and India and is not high quality. The Czech
lampwork is pretty good quality, but might not be annealed and may break.
But that's better than the Chinese or Indian lampwork in my opinion. That's
a highly debatable topic, of course. Here are some links for you to get
more information. Both are hosted on my site, but were created by Sooz.

http://lampwork.net/soozlinkslist.html

http://lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Have fun!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Hi Kandice, i've had a bit of a search around ebay & doesn't seem to be

much
the same quality as yours. Which leads me into my next chime hehe lol --
the lower quality beads that i've looked at are cheap -- both in $$$ &
appearance... a lot of them i wouldn't even think about bidding on let

alone
watching the auction, they are just not the beauty that a lampwork bead
should be... It goes back to the question/thread that i've read here
recently -- a profession or a hobby! My jewellery making is a hobby, and

do it because i love making them & giving them as gifts -- it's only since
christmas my friends have been on at me to sell them, hence my venture

into
ebay... still to set myself up as a sell er, but will be sure to post my

url
when i do...

The bead sets that you refer to aren't bracelets, but temporarily strung
bead sets that I have made.

Kandice, are these able to be split & rewired with clasps etc... what
materials would you recommend using, ie. anything different from my normal
beading -- i would rewire them in exactly the same way you prepare them,

do
you sell made jewellery pieces too???

Thank you for making me feel welcome, i look forward to getting to know

you
all better...

Cheerz,
Sharon

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
Hi Sharon - welcome to the group.
The bead sets that you refer to aren't bracelets, but temporarily strung
bead sets that I have made. Thanks for the kind words! Yes, the

auction
prices I am getting are pretty decent. The sets that have 9-13 focals

and
some spacers have been going for about $70-$85, and this is pretty good.
The larger sets vary widely - from $90-$140. These are still lower than
retail, but higher than wholesale, and for me that's just fine. I sell

many
beads from my website at retail, so it all evens out eventually. If you

buy
on ebay from me you will likely never overpay. I think there have only

been
two times when a bead set has gone way over what I would have charged
retail. And that was because two people wanted the same set really

really
bad. Auctions work that way! I can't speak for anyone else

though.
I sure appreciate your comments - and hey, feel free to chime in

anytime!
We
don't bite...much.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 12th 04, 10:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Something along those lines? I'll have to run it past dh who is
very clever and creative in the framing department.

Oh, no, Margie -- I'm not asking for help. I'm trying to spark discussion and
sharing. I know exactly what I'm going to do. (Mirrors are way too
distracting)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 12th 04, 11:05 PM
Dr. Sooz

You are right! I was looking and oh my...am I the only one that finds
some of the curio cabinets tacky?

I think the curio cabinets you refer to are designed for folks who collect
Precious Moments figurines....... :-P Gack! (hoping not to offend anyone
here) puke puke puke (sorry)

I did see one I liked that is made
from rosewood, an open table top design, I liked the feeling of space.
Table top won't do in this house.

Not here either.

I'm hoping to do a gridwork mounting of the frames -- like a more spaced-out
sheet of postage stamps, you know? All together, evenly, on a wall somewhere.
Probably two rows, horizontally, so they're visible and easy to view for most
heights.

Each frame to hold one bead! Eeeeeeee! (I'll do lampwork sets, if any, with
another display treatment....though those usually beg to be made into jewelry,
don't they?) The backgrounds inside the frames will be as plain as I can get
them....a single-color peyote stitched matte-bead surface. Undistracting, the
color will be something to show off the bead itself -- a dull color, but
complementary to the bead's predominant color. (Is this making visual sense so
far?) A pale golden bead will have a muted lavender-grey background, for
instance.

Not all beads lend themselves to sitting properly. How will you do
that, Sooz?

I believe I will get some thin, thin wire, oxidize it so it doesn't shine, and
string the bead either from top to bottom or side to side, depending on the
bead's visual orientation.

This is getting me excited now!!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 12th 04, 11:06 PM
Dr. Sooz

And lighting! Lighting will be important, too.......
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 12th 04, 11:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

Sorry, Sooz. I was thinking out loud, mainly for myself I guess. If
I found something unique I'd share it just to get opinions. :=)

No sorry, no sorry! Actually, it will be helpful to read everyone's
contributions to this thread, what was I thinking? SMOOCH
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 12th 04, 11:12 PM
rainbow

How'd you know Chinese food is my weakness ... get yourself here and
we'll make those chopstick rattle ! The "other"
buyer ran like a thief in the night ... but we are proud that you are
our friend !
Rainbow