Leather Quilts

Old November 7th 11, 10:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

Default Leather Quilts

The exercise mat that I made and showed posted a picture of a few months
ago was not working so well. The reason was that there was not enough
padding and I could feel the non-slip carpet stuff when I put any weight
on it. I think I got it fixed, but I will not really know until we use
the mats in exercise class.

Well, anyway, when I was at the fabric store figuring out what to do, I
ran across some vinyl (I think - sort of an imitation leather, or am I
thinking of suede). It looked and felt like it would not slip, and if I
made the backing out of it, I would not have to put the rug stuff on it.
I think though, I would have to get a teflon face plate, at the very
least, for my machine.

Then I got to wondering if perhaps I could use a piece of real leather
for the backing on this exercise mat, that is, would backing made of
leather keep it from sliding. I am not sure where I would get it, though.

Would I have to get extra-heavy duty needles for my sewing machine.
Would I have to sew it by hand with a heavy duty sewing needle and a lot
of elbow grease. Can leather (the backing) even be sewn to regular cloth
(the top) successfully.

Then I got to wondering if a quilt (all parts, the top, the back, and the
binding) can be made of leather. The same questions apply - would I have
to get a heavy duty needle for my sewing machine, would I have to sew it
by hand, etc.

Brian Christiansen
Old November 7th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Gah! this brings back memories! Back in the dark ages, my "work-study"
program consisted of slave labor in the drama department's costume
shop. No regrets, I learned a lot there. But the one ghastly horror
that sticks in my mind was the costumes for Henry V. Our boss got a
good deal on a LOT of leather. So every actor had a doublet made of
quilted leather (backed in muslin). Not only did this require special
leather needles, we used them on a special leather machine. And there
was still quite a bit of hand work, which nearly killed all of us. My
fingers were never the same.
Roberta in D