Wearing Jewelry

Old August 17th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara62

Default Wearing Jewelry

Hello, I am new on this posting. Just wanted to comment on not
knowing other
beaders. My town is very small and located, in Delaware. I don't
know any other
beaders here. The nearest MIchael's is 26 miles away. I order online
most of the
time.
Also, I wear little jewelry. Mostly, because I am allergic to nickel
and don't have piereced ears. Most earring backs seem to contain
nickel.
I did get to go to the Bead & Button Show for the last three years.
It was wonderful to
be around so many beaders. It has definitely helped to encourage me
and to try new things. There was a bead shop here but it closed up.
It was not very good and the
beads were expensive.
Old August 18th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Gee, I think its great to know how many other beaders and jewelry makers out there that don't wear
jewelry. I used to think I was the only looney jewelry maker to not wear her own jewelry.

I know you said you were allergic to nickel, but have you tried wearing Sterling Silver? Does that
give you a reaction?

Hey Barb, don't sweat the fact that you don't have any LBS's near you because I think they are, for
the most part, a waste of time. I live in Tidewater, VA.. and I can count at least 5 LBS's around
me - not including the Michael's and AC Moore's - and I haven't been to a single one of them in at
least 5 years. Why? Because they mostly stock glass and base metals and their gem stone, sterling,
and Swaro selection is very very limited and way WAY overpriced!
I do get to AC Moore every once in a while to get containers and stuff, and occasionally I pick up
some Swaro's and tools, but for the most part I buy online just like you.

LBS's are good for one thing though... if you are in the middle of a project and need to get a
particular item before you can complete your project but you're running out of time - then LBS or AC
Moore is a good way to get yourself out of a bind - that is if you can find what you need.

I've been to the Vegas bead shows twice, and several here in VA, and its a good thing I save up for
those cause I really stock up at bead shows. Pearls in every color are way way cheap, and the deals
you can find on gem stones are numerous. I love bead shows, and I drag my mom to them every chance
I can get. She doesn't bead, but I make her go anyway. hehehehe

Sterling

Old August 23rd 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

Hi Barb......looks like we are basically in the same boat on all counts.
But join in and ask questions and so on.....perhaps we will be able to get
some activity in this group again.

I found that the LBS was rather expensive, but he did give me 30% off.
However, I think he marked it up 50% at least. Artistic wire was $19 for a
spool. It was $7 at BeadFX I discovered. You can be sure that I let him
know what I thought of that!! He got rather flustered.

Best.....Heather, in Toronto, Ontario.
PS.....if that is your real address, you will now get a gazillion spam
emails at comcast. But I figure they must be pretty good at weeding them
out. NEVER use your real address on news groups....change it to something
like lid