Ammonium chloride (alias "sal ammoniac")

Old October 1st 04, 05:14 AM
Neil Marsh

Default Ammonium chloride (alias "sal ammoniac")

Anyone know where to find ammonium chloride, otherwise known as sal
ammoniac, in granular/powder form? (Somewhere in the
Seattle-Portland corridor would be great!) I know welding supply
places can get the stuff in one pound bars but I was hoping to find a
small tub of it in technical grade. Found one place on the Web but
the shipping costs more than the material.

(McCreight suggests it as a flux for niello.)

Cheers!
Neil
Old October 1st 04, 04:21 PM
Don T

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

--

Don Thompson

~~~~~~~~

Old October 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
Neil Marsh

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:21:45 GMT, "Don T"
wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Googled already (though I used "supplier" rather than "dealer"), got
25.5K+ hits. Too many to sort though and lacking in current
information like who got closed down for selling precursors to meth
cooks. Adding "ammonium chloride" to the search narrows it to 18,
none of which are area dealers. Changing that to "sal ammoniac' gets
one hit with more than I ever wanted to know about phosphoric acid.

So, I asked the group.

Peter replied by e-mail and mentioned what smelly stuff ammonium
chloride is to use. This puts me in a dilemma. Do I find something
else, or go ahead and use it so the wife will demand I go buy an
exhaust fan system? Hmmmm....decisions, decisions.

Cheers!
Neil
Old October 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
C Ryman

Stained Glass stores usually have it in a small solid block form. I don't
know about the powder form.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old October 2nd 04, 06:29 AM
C. Gates

Neil Marsh wrote:
Anyone know where to find ammonium chloride, otherwise known as sal
ammoniac, in granular/powder form? (Somewhere in the
Seattle-Portland corridor would be great!) I know welding supply
places can get the stuff in one pound bars but I was hoping to find a
small tub of it in technical grade. Found one place on the Web but
the shipping costs more than the material.

A technique I always wanted to try --ever since learning how to make
jewelry from Robert von Neumann's book The Design and Creation of Jewelry.

He gives several formulas for making the niello -- and using it.

I loved the names of the various formulas for niello: Pliny, Cellini,
Augsburg No. 1, Theophilus, Contemporary Russian, Modern French.....

He also mentions that the armorer for the Metropolitan Museum of Art
uses Handy Flux (a paste flux) thinned to the consistency of milk (for
doing repairs).

Von Neumann does recommend ammonium chloride as a flux, but says that
"an older fluxing technique consisted of painting the metal with a
barely milky borax solution.....

So you could try borax...

I vaguely remember from my science fair days years ago that flashlight
batteries contained ammonium chloride, but this may be my
imagination....don't expect it would be pure, if there at all, or that
you'd want to go soaking some old flashlight batteries.

What fun!

Old October 2nd 04, 06:30 AM
Don T

One of the "hits" was to the "yellow pages" in the Seattle phone book.
Funny what a phone call will do. Just because a google search does not
return a solid hit for sal ammoniac or Ammonium Chloride two streets over
and one block down does not mean you can't get it at that place. I don't
know of ANY chemical seller that has an item by item listing of every
chemical they stock on their google "hit" page. You have to look for
yourself. I took the "liberty" of providing a web
page where you can purchase Ammonium Chloride, by the pound, any amount you
want for $3.05 a pound or if purchased 10 pounds at a time $2.62 a pound.
Not in or near Seattle, but hell, the postman always rings twice.

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp?Sort=A

--

Don Thompson

How is it that modern liberals can disregard 5,000 years of military
experience in favor of the slogans, some formed facetiously, of the "peace"
movement of the 1960's?

http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/
~~~~~~~~