Need feedback on Diamond band saws.

Old July 13th 04, 04:20 PM
Garry Lynch

Default Need feedback on Diamond band saws.

I am looking to purchase a Diamond Band Saw to be used for Glass
cutting, with regardsto Stain glass and would like to hear back from
anyone with pros and cons for the following saws.
OMNI-1 Diamond Wire Saw
Gryphon C-40
Taurus II.2
Diamond Laser 1000S

Please let me know whatever you can ASAP as I would like to buy at the
end off this week.

TY much

Garry
Old July 13th 04, 09:46 PM
Moonraker

Does your local SG retailer have saws you can try out? What one person
likes may be another's poison.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested you don't "need" a bandsaw to do
stained glass. Most folks who have them find they gather dust. I can't
remember the last time I used mine.

With respect to the Diamond Laser 1000S.....you can buy the exact same saw
from www.harborfreight.com for $139 or so. Do a search for bandsaws. They
also have replacement blades for cheap.

I've used the wire saw and the Taurus, both. Wasn't impressed with the wire
saw, and the Taurus is, IMO, a noisy piece of poorly designed junk. I don't
know anything pro or con about the Gryphon, and I've had a Diamond Laser
for years. Gathering dust.

om...

Old July 14th 04, 04:08 AM
Garry Lynch

TY Moonraker, you have helped me confirm my thoughts on the Taurus,
now I am switching my review to the gryphon and the Diamond Laser
1000s (which my SG dealer is selling ). The Gryphon omni looks
interesting as it uses a piano wire encrusted in Diamond and the
present deal offered on the web has 6 spare blades ... Not sure if
this is a good selling point or a bad omen. Again Moonraker thank you
for your feedback. As for using it for glass cuuing it is only to be
uesd for the more hard cuts and like the aspect of the grinding done
at same time as the cut. Will point my final outcome later.

Garry.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:04 AM
MissMouse

I have one of the Gryphon wire saws and I just love it. I do not use it much
prefering to cut by hand but when I need it for the odd cut that I cant seem
to make without messing it up. it is great. Every one is diffrent though I
tried the Taurus and some band saws before getting the one I got. I did not
like them much.
hugs
Mouse

Old August 21st 04, 05:41 PM
Tess Farley

Okay, I'm a little late reading these posts, but now that I've sold off all
my glass supplies except for the fusing stuff, I have more time to do
whatever.

Garry, my first saw was the Omni. Within two weeks, I returned it to the
manufacturer. The drip water bottle was hard to adjust - it was either too
much water or not enough. The guide supports that the blade sits between
were plastic. After only four uses, the plastic melted and fused itself to
the blade. Game over. Besides that, the vibrations were so hard that it
actually caused a piece of glass to break. Maybe I had a defective model,
maybe not. I ended up with a Taurus 2. Very noisy, but adequate for cutting
single pieces of glass. I'm now going to sell it and get the Taurus 3. I
have a friend who loves it. Just my 2 cents.

Tess

AD, feedback requested Carlinda Beads 13 April 24th 04 06:29 AM
AD & Feedback Requested starlia Beads 6 March 3rd 04 08:01 AM
Neutral Feedback Juanita Floyd Beads 16 August 24th 03 12:36 AM
Ad: Feedback Contest, Free Bead, Lampwork Sandree Beads 2 August 23rd 03 01:28 AM