OT needing a Cookie Monster

Old May 15th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT needing a Cookie Monster

Wonder what I did wrong? I just sliced and prepared for travel a pretty pan
of bar cookies. Rest assured, they taste wonderful. A simple,
prize-winning recipe that I followed to the letter. I even blanched, dried,
toasted and sliced the walnuts. Should have been purrfect.
Not.
They are mighty sticky gooey. Rather like serving someone a handful of
pecan pie.
I'm wondering if the recipe was just not a good choice with
Mississippi's extreme humidity; maybe I should have left them in the oven a
few more minutes? Did I beat them too much?
The cookies will disappear like I'd fed starving wolves so it's not a
disaster but I would like to do better next time. Or find another recipe.
Your thoughts? Polly

Old May 15th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hi Polly, even SC's humidity sometimes messes up the best of recipes! The
humidity has been high the past week. Takes a long time for clothes to dry
outside.
Barbara in SC

Old May 15th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I could easily be considered a cookie monster. Cake monster too. Any
chance you can post the recipe so we can try and figure it out. I know there
are certain recipes that just don't like humidity. I haven't worried about
them much since we moved to the desert. I do like to understand when baking
fails though.
Taria

Old May 15th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Let's see, toasted walnuts, sweet, sticky gooey, 'handful of pecan
pie' -- Polly, just what is the problem?

Sunny
drooling
Old May 15th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:15:53 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

Wonder what I did wrong? I just sliced and prepared for travel a pretty
pan of bar cookies. Rest assured, they taste wonderful. A simple,
prize-winning recipe that I followed to the letter. I even blanched,
dried, toasted and sliced the walnuts. Should have been purrfect.
Not.
They are mighty sticky gooey. Rather like serving someone a handful
of
pecan pie.
I'm wondering if the recipe was just not a good choice with
Mississippi's extreme humidity; maybe I should have left them in the
oven a few more minutes? Did I beat them too much?
The cookies will disappear like I'd fed starving wolves so it's not
disaster but I would like to do better next time. Or find another
recipe. Your thoughts? Polly

Heavens! There are so many things that could do that!
Could be you used bigger eggs than whoever wrote the recipe. Could be
you used an all purpose flour that had more gluten. Could be your oven
runs a couple of degrees cooler than theirs. Could be Yogi turned around
three times and sighed under the table.
I have had recipes I've done a hundred times come out wonky for no
particular reason. You chalk it up to barometric pressure, humidity, and
Baba Yaga, then try it again next week.

I recently needed a break from sewing so I baked.
I was going to just do cream puffs.
Then I got "Oh! but that takes so many eggs!", and "Oh! but I love cream
puffs and I am trying to lose weight!" from my family.
So I took a snit, made some puff paste too, and put it all together into
one of these:

http://www.dessert.net.au/images/gat...e200708011.jpg

It looks fancier than it is.
In reality it is just a few cream puffs glued to the outside edge of a
circle of puff paste with a little caramelized sugar, and the middle
filled with the same cream you used to fill the cream puffs.

I was standing by, ready to pace circles around my family, asperging them
with melted butter, and shouting "By the power of Rachel Ray I compel
you!" Fortunately that extreme step proved unnecessary.

NightMist
--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 15th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I picked out this recipe to try because of its very few ingredients - only
biscuit mix, brown sugar, eggs and walnuts. That's all. Maybe a handful of
KwikCrete would have done the trick.
The recipe is from 'Best of Country Cookies' with 250 'best' tested
cookie recipes. I am on my 4th copy of it this year; the first 3 have been
carried away by cookie-loving friends. It's a beautiful collection even if
this recipe is rather sticky. No problem. There's never been a wasted
cookie around here. Polly

Old May 15th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Still trying to imagine blanching and slicing walnuts - almonds, yes;
walnuts, no.......must be a Southern thing? jennellh

Old May 16th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

One of the reasons I always look askance at recipes that call for
preprepared mixes is because they are different brand to brand. In the
line of biscuits, my mum uses Jiffy mix, and my Aunt J, her sister, uses
Bisquick. They swap recipes using mix back and forth. The ones my mom
send to Aunt J inevitably come out sloppy for her, the ones she sends to
mom come out overly dry. Neither one of them has enough sense to just
use a little more or less liquid or mix when they get a recipe from the
other.
If Polly's recipe just called for mix without specifying exactly what
manner of mix, well then obviously the recipe is going to take a little
experimenting with to work with what she uses. If it did specify, and
she used just exactly that, well then we are back to barometric pressure,
an electric oven versus a gas one, or Baba Yaga.

NightMist
thinking about a double batch of snickerdoodles because she is sick to
death of ruching satin today. (It is prom season)

Old May 16th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Wonder what I did wrong? I just sliced and prepared for travel a pretty
pan of bar cookies. Rest assured, they taste wonderful. A simple,
prize-winning recipe that I followed to the letter. I even blanched,
dried, toasted and sliced the walnuts. Should have been purrfect.
Not.
They are mighty sticky gooey. Rather like serving someone a handful of
pecan pie.
I'm wondering if the recipe was just not a good choice with
Mississippi's extreme humidity; maybe I should have left them in the oven
a few more minutes? Did I beat them too much?
The cookies will disappear like I'd fed starving wolves so it's not a
disaster but I would like to do better next time. Or find another recipe.
Your thoughts? Polly

I made a whole batch of cookies one time and realized when they were in the
oven that I had left out half the flour. They were drop cookies and they
were pouring off the spoon. I figured they'd "set up" as they baked.

They didn't.

Cindy

O/T Cookie help GrammyKathy[_3_] Quilting 17 March 10th 10 09:20 PM
OT just a cookie quickie Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 17 September 25th 09 12:21 PM
cookie idea pami Quilting 17 September 29th 06 08:25 PM
FS: Tom and Jerry cookie jar taximania Pottery 1 June 12th 05 09:29 AM
OT - Cookie thief LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 1 July 12th 04 10:12 PM