working temperature

Old May 12th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie Thompson

Default working temperature

I was 'talking' to Donna a couple of days back and she said

"Should it not still be cold in Scotland? Global warming is certainly
playing games with our weather (Long Island, NY. USA). It has felt like
June for weeks and tomorrow for just one day it is back to what it
should be. At least this year it hasn't fooled everything into
blooming and then freezing it all. "

Scotland has a reputation for snowy mountains and cold weather. However,
where we live on the Isle of Arran we benefit from the Gulf Stream which
keeps really cold weather away from us.

For me, I would just love to have an old stone built outbuilding with
thick walls and a concrete floor with a degree of inbuilt damp, but not
too much - and the windows facing north with good light, of course.
Mere daydreams considering that we live in a modern home with mod cons
of insulation, double glazing and windows facing to take advantage of
solar heat gain.

I work best in a temperature somewhere under 18degC and with fairly high
humidity. This weather spell has reached 24degC with very low humidity,
which is enough to stop me in my tracks. I set me wondering what
weather conditions others are happy or unhappy to work in - is hot/warm
weather tricky for everybody?

Susie
Isle of Arran
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!

Old May 16th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
charlie

[...]

brrr. where i live, the summer temperatures range 40-45C on average, with
the humidity in the 10% range. some highs get close to 50C. when i fire in
my garage, it will be somewhere around 55C.

regards,
charlie
arizona

Old May 17th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

You must be high in the mountains - I won't tell you what it is on Long
Island today.

I started wearing a winter hat this winter while throwing. It certainly
improved things though every time I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror
I was a bit taken aback. Socks also made a difference. Since I'm indoors I
always dressed as if I was in the rest of the house and then wondered why I
was so miserably cold until I got into throwing to where didn't noticed.
Duhhh! Next winter I'm thinking I may even add a scarf (then I have images
of it falling into the wheel head strangling me e.g. Isadora Duncan but with
my face in mud.

Donna

P.S. I think Clayart may be back.