Got CHOCOLATE? Sorta on/off topic

Old August 6th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default Got CHOCOLATE? Sorta on/off topic

I'm only trying milk chocolate as it isn't so concentrated as the dark at
this point in time Let's just try a lil of the solid milk chocolate for
the first foray. I will have to tell the Dr how timely his news was I
surely wasn't expecting this news at all..... He tickled me as he saved the
'best news for last'.

Butterfly (oh, happy, happy day)

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
k.net...
I see that a trip to Cerreta's is definitely in the works before I come to
visit. VBG Do you prefer dark or milk???
What flavor filling or solid?
Won't get a lot, but a couple of pieces to go with the licorice if you
like.

Pati, in Phx

Butterflywings wrote:

No, I am NOT being funny.

I can HAVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allergy Dr had me try a piece when I was at the Clinic last week ONE
PIECE so I chose a Almond Joy (he gave me a few options to try and said
to try it whilst I was at the Clinic JUST IN CASE. Most ones he named are
'more wax than chocolate' but there is enuf to give you a reaction. He
figured it happened so long ago that my body had undergone enuf chemical
changes including menopause that I would be safe.

And I had NO REACTION

NONE!!!!!!

Course he said do NOT have a piece every day but I can once in a while
and just see what happens--worst he expects is maybe a migraine. Still
have to stay away from cheese and I have to keep liquid Benadryl with me
when I do have a bit.

He ran all kinds of allergy tests both on my back and by vampire (foods)
and I show a CHEMICAL reaction to cheese but nothing to
chocolate...figures its the 'mold' factor.

Note, I did NOT react to milk but he is NOT ready for me to try that and
I am not either. My calcium blood level is right on so I don't have to
take pills for it either. YAY!

IT did show that I am chemically sensitive to a lot of stuff but we
already knew that and avoidance is my best strategy.

No, I am not ready to buy a bag of M&M's.... not yet anyhow..... I'm
holding out for a piece of Godiva chocolate or one that Sandy in
Henderson said was sooo good.

A happy happy Butterfly

Old August 7th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Not being a chocolate eater myself, this news would not
thrill me. But as I am well aware of the chocolate
obsession that generally pervades rctq -

Way to go Butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy you are happy.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Butterflywings" wrote in
message news:%LpBg.4895$Gv.4018@fed1read09...
: No, I am NOT being funny.
:
: I can HAVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:

Old August 7th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thank you What's funny is I really didn't 'miss it' cause I knew what
could happen if I had some.

Butterfly

Old August 7th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sue DiNapoli

Default OT: Food allergies was: Got CHOCOLATE? Sorta on/off topic

Wow Butterfly - I have missed so much...food allergies can be nasty...DS
has a peanut allergy. He carries an epi-pen with him (or rather, I do
because he's 6) wherever he goes...along with Benedryl. It means
reading labels *every* time I buy something for him to eat...asking
about peanut content at restaurants and the oh so "helpful" people who
aren't helpful at all. But he's a JOY!!! and it is worth doing all the
"you can't have this" things to ensure he doesn't have a reaction. He
gets it - he understands...had to give him an epi-pen shot when he was
4-ish because of hidden peanut/cross-contamination in a bread from one
of our favorite shops!! After that we inquired about the peanut content
and they actually changed their labels from "Daily Special: may contain:
'every allergen listed because of the various daily bread specials they
made'" to specific labels for EACH bread!! Gotta love it when people
listen and respond appropriately. Unfortunately, we have an issue with
his school...they don't seem to have the same urgency for his safety
that we do. We are currently "in talks" with the Assistant District
Superintendent and school principal to see if we can "come to an
agreement" and "mend fences"....basically all communication shut down
resulting in my feeling like I can't even enter the building without
something *else* being neglected. An example? My son sits at a
peanut-free table (he feels more comfortable that way) and one of the
kids sitting there had a Butterfinger miniature!! They are supposed to
monitor the food that kids bring to the table...no monitoring there,
except when the kid asked ME to open it for him!!! I declined, and
pointed out why. (For those not familiar with a Butterfinger candy
bar...it is made primarily of peanut/peanut butter with a little bit of
chocolate thrown in for added taste...LOVE them, myself!!) He's moving
on to first grade this year and all the school can do is say "Well, we
must have been doing everything right because he didn't have any
reactions." ARGH!!! Okay, I'll stop now...

Congratulations Butterfly!!! After all, chocolate *is* a food group of
its own!!

Sue in Ithaca

In article %LpBg.4895$Gv.4018@fed1read09,
"Butterflywings" wrote:

No, I am NOT being funny.

I can HAVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snip

A happy happy Butterfly

Old August 7th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Are you are fudge/caramel person, Cheryl?
If so, you are in good company there, too gg
..
In message , Cats
writes
Not being a chocolate eater myself, this news would not
thrill me. But as I am well aware of the chocolate
obsession that generally pervades rctq -

Way to go Butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy you are happy.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 7th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I'm not really a sweets person at all (some of my former
troops would say I wasn't a sweet person either LOL).

I eat a Cherry Ripe bar about once a year (small size) and
at Christmas I might indulge in a couple of Pink Lady
strawberry creme chocolates. That's about it. I don't eat
mints or caramel or fudge or jubes or candy. The sewers who
work from my house are greatful. Whenever I get a box of
chockies they get to eat them!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Patti" wrote in message
: Are you are fudge/caramel person, Cheryl?
: If so, you are in good company there, too gg
: .
: In message , Cats

: writes
: Not being a chocolate eater myself, this news would not
: thrill me. But as I am well aware of the chocolate
: obsession that generally pervades rctq -
:
: Way to go Butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
: I am happy you are happy.
:
:
: --
: Best Regards
: pat on the hill

Old August 7th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Sue DiNapoli" wrote in message
all the school can do is say "Well, we
must have been doing everything right because he didn't have any
reactions." ARGH!!! Okay, I'll stop now...

It does get frustrating some times when people don't understand, doesn't it?

One of my quilting buddies is like that. I love her dearly, but at our
potlucks when I can't eat her dishes that have eggs or cheese (or half a
dozen other things) in them she'll say "Oh, it's okay. It doesn't have
much.", or "You can just pick out the crumbled cheese." She doesn't do it
maliciously (which is why we're still friends! LOL) -- in her mind a food
allergy is exactly the same as not liking something.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 7th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice M. Bonnell

My grandson is allergic to peanuts, dairy, and eggs! Yesterday was his 2nd
birthday, and his mom made cupcakes with none of these ingredients. They
were actually quite tasty! His doctors say that with total abstinence, he
may still outgrow some of these allergies.

Alice

[...]

"Butterflywings" wrote:

No, I am NOT being funny.

I can HAVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snip

A happy happy Butterfly

Old August 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

It does get frustrating some times when people don't understand, doesn't it?

One of my quilting buddies is like that. I love her dearly, but at our
potlucks when I can't eat her dishes that have eggs or cheese (or half a
dozen other things) in them she'll say "Oh, it's okay. It doesn't have
much.", or "You can just pick out the crumbled cheese." She doesn't do it
maliciously (which is why we're still friends! LOL) -- in her mind a food
allergy is exactly the same as not liking something.

Does she need to you eat some, swell up and turn blue to believe?
Amazing the attitudes that some people have.

marcella
Old August 7th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:09:12 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

It does get frustrating some times when people don't understand, doesn't it?

One of my quilting buddies is like that. I love her dearly, but at our
potlucks when I can't eat her dishes that have eggs or cheese (or half a
dozen other things) in them she'll say "Oh, it's okay. It doesn't have
much.", or "You can just pick out the crumbled cheese." She doesn't do it
maliciously (which is why we're still friends! LOL) -- in her mind a food
allergy is exactly the same as not liking something.

At least you and your friend both speak English. Trying to explain
that I cannot eat eggs (or anything with sulphur, like wine, cider,
beer, etc) while I was in Russia was *so* fun. Everyone assumed that
I just didn't like eggs, or that I never enjoyed a drink. Erm, I can
have spirits - like vodka.....
My cat's allergic to eggs too. I never realized there was so many
strange things - like sugar, aka Cat Smack - in cat food, until I
started buying those posh little tins and reading all the labels....

-- Jo in Scotland