NAME HAS BEEN CHOSEN, thanks to all of you!!

Old August 9th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Default NAME HAS BEEN CHOSEN, thanks to all of you!!

I want to thank all of you who helped come up with name suggestions and
then voted on the ones that were suggested.

After reading your posts and talking with family and friends "in the
business", the name I will be using is imagine drumroll if you so
choose...................

Larisa Sews!

I am going to start working on business card layout/design as well as
doing some brochure work. Have found some business card stock that will
allow me to print on both sides, so I can list what I "specialze" in on
the back, with the contact information on the front.

Thanks again to everyone,

Larisa, who contacted Commissioner of Revenues office, got the
information that I needed about starting a business (including the fact
that I *do* need a business license, zoning certificate, register the
business name, and go through a virginia website to get info on sales
tax). WIll update more when things are more settled....I will probably
go ahead and get all the legalities taken care of in the near future,
but won't actually *start* until closer to the end of the year (have to
clean and straighten the sewing space up and get things off hte floor
and on the walls or wherever else they belong!!!)

Old August 9th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
off kilter quilter wrote:

Larisa Sews!

I like it, Larisa!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 10th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

off kilter quilter wrote:

snip
information that I needed about starting a business (including the fact
that I *do* need a business license, zoning certificate, register the
business name, and go through a virginia website to get info on sales
tax). WIll update more when things are more settled....I will probably
go ahead and get all the legalities taken care of in the near future,
but won't actually *start* until closer to the end of the year (have to
clean and straighten the sewing space up and get things off hte floor
and on the walls or wherever else they belong!!!)

---
Congrats for moving along. BTW, Larisa, if you are just selling your
services, not products, there is no sales tax added to services in Va..
Loads of hassle to fill out all tha tax paperwork, plus you have to pay
estimated sales tax--if I remember right, it's every 4 months in Va,
though I may be mis-quoting, I remember a four month statement. You can
probably check that online.
Cea (also in Va.)

Old August 10th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
klh in VA

On the other hand, if you have a tax number then you buy the materials
tax free and charge tax on what you sell.
If you pass the materials to the customer at your cost+tax and only
charge for labor, then perhaps you don't need it. and there is
paperwork, for sure!

all in all not so simple as it looks.
or nothing is ever as simple as it looks.
and if it is, you probably haven't read the whole form.

having a bus id and a tax number may entitle you to some fringe benefits
such as being able to get into places which only 'sell to the trade' for
decorator and designer stuffs. especially important when you start to
decorate your sewing room with new furniture after your initial profits :-)

klh [also also in va]

wrote:

snip

Old August 10th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KI Graham

Don't know about the US, but in Canada, you only charge/pay taxes if your
expected income from the sale of products/services is over a certain amount
[think its $15,000/year or thereabouts.] I'm pretty safe with books, since
I'm still showing a net loss/year. Not much of a business woman!

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"klh in VA" wrote in message
On the other hand, if you have a tax number then you buy the materials tax
free and charge tax on what you sell.
If you pass the materials to the customer at your cost+tax and only charge
for labor, then perhaps you don't need it. and there is paperwork, for sure!

all in all not so simple as it looks.
or nothing is ever as simple as it looks.
and if it is, you probably haven't read the whole form.

having a bus id and a tax number may entitle you to some fringe benefits
such as being able to get into places which only 'sell to the trade' for
decorator and designer stuffs. especially important when you start to
decorate your sewing room with new furniture after your initial profits :-)

klh [also also in va]

wrote:

snip