overseas parcels restrictions to the US?

Old December 15th 03, 05:41 PM
B Vaughan

Default overseas parcels restrictions to the US?

There was a post here about the restrictions of overseas parcels
mailed to the US containing baked goods. I went to the US Postal
Service home page and can't find any mention of this restriction.
There was a long document about hazardous materials, but nothing about
baked goods.

I wanted to send my son-in-law his favorite brand of chocolate
"torrone", but I don't know exactly what sorts of sweets are banned.
Can anybody point me to an authorative source?

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old December 15th 03, 06:01 PM
Anna MCM

B Vaughan wrote:

There was a post here about the restrictions of overseas parcels
mailed to the US containing baked goods. I went to the US Postal
Service home page and can't find any mention of this restriction.
There was a long document about hazardous materials, but nothing about
baked goods.
=20
I wanted to send my son-in-law his favorite brand of chocolate
"torrone", but I don't know exactly what sorts of sweets are banned.
Can anybody point me to an authorative source?
=20

Hi Barbara!

Go to the DHL page:

http://www.dhl.it

There=B4s a link to "invio alimentari in USA" where you can find a lot of=
=20
information.
It looks like you can send homemade food but it=B4s more complicated for =

purchased one.
The page has a link to:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/bioterrorism/bioact.html

All the best!

Anna Maria/ who loves chocolate torrone as well

Old December 15th 03, 09:27 PM
Katherine

Barbara,
According to Canada Post, they will not be banning "grandma's home cooking",
so you should be safe.
Katherine

Old December 16th 03, 12:05 AM
Shillelagh

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
There was a post here about the restrictions of overseas parcels
mailed to the US containing baked goods. I went to the US Postal
Service home page and can't find any mention of this restriction.
There was a long document about hazardous materials, but nothing about
baked goods.

I wanted to send my son-in-law his favorite brand of chocolate
"torrone", but I don't know exactly what sorts of sweets are banned.
Can anybody point me to an authorative source?

--------
Barbara Vaughan

Barbara - here's a link to an article on the U.S. Embassy site and here's a
quote that applies to homemade goodies. If your chocolate treat is a
commercially made item like Toblerone, well, it's at their discretion to let
it through.

http://tinyurl.com/ze6u

"Homemade goods sent as personal gifts are exempt from this requirement.
Travelers bringing food items with them, for personal use into the U.S. are
not required to file prior notice, although they must still declare them to
a CBP officer."

Good luck, and Merry Christmas

Shelagh

Old December 16th 03, 01:52 PM
Yarn Forward

We had a circular from Canada Post. If a business want to ship food items to
the USA, there are new "Homeland Security" forms to be filled in (and it can be
done on-line) and they have to be sent to the US customs service 24 hours before
the shipment arrives at the border. Private stuff is exempt.

Roger.

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old December 16th 03, 08:11 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:52:13 -0500, Yarn Forward
wrote:

We had a circular from Canada Post. If a business want to ship food items to
the USA, there are new "Homeland Security" forms to be filled in (and it can be
done on-line) and they have to be sent to the US customs service 24 hours before
the shipment arrives at the border. Private stuff is exempt.

I went to the FDA site and began the procedure for notifying them of a
shipment of food. However, I quickly began to think that it was only
for businesses. However, their exemption for private individuals
mentions only home-made goods mailed by private individuals or food
items brought in luggage into the US by private individuals for their
own private consumption. There is no mention, either allowing or
forbidding, of what happens if a private individual wants to mail,
let's say, a box of chocolates. It also said that this is a 75-day
trial period and that only the most obvious hazards will be
confiscated, such as fresh meats. I think I'm going to just mail the
torrone, and I'll let you all know if it arrives.
--------