OT Christmas Stamps

Old November 27th 03, 12:33 AM
G.Kelly

Default OT Christmas Stamps

Is it me the Christmas spirit or what ? Last year when I bought my bundle
of Christmas stamps the young lady gave me $20 too much change- and was
amazed when I returned it. Would you believe this year ( at another Post
office) the young man gave me almost double the amount of stamps I bought -
one sheet had adherred to another. I have not returned them yet as I will
not be back in that suburb for a week . Two years in a row seems quite
amazing God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old November 27th 03, 01:26 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:33:47 GMT, G.Kelly wrote:

Is it me the Christmas spirit or what ? Last year when I bought my bundle
of Christmas stamps the young lady gave me $20 too much change- and was
amazed when I returned it. Would you believe this year ( at another Post
office) the young man gave me almost double the amount of stamps I bought -
one sheet had adherred to another. I have not returned them yet as I will
not be back in that suburb for a week . Two years in a row seems quite
amazing God Bless Gwen

Blessings, I'd say, at a Blessed time of year!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old November 27th 03, 09:41 PM
Aud

"Someone" is trying to be nice to you, Gwen! ;-))
AUD :-)

--

"G.Kelly" skrev i melding

Old November 28th 03, 12:48 PM
G.Kelly

Think you must be right Aud - but I hope it stops I am tired of returning to
the post offices to refund !!! God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old November 29th 03, 05:04 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Gwen,

Yes, go get a lottery ticket. Mistakes like that don't happen at my post
office. They usually want more. LOL

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 29th 03, 05:24 PM
Karen MN

"NoraBalcer" wrote in message
Hi Gwen,

Yes, go get a lottery ticket. Mistakes like that don't happen at my post
office. They usually want more. LOL

Hugs,

Nora

True story: I was out walking early one day and found a $5 bill fluttering
in the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street. No one around, so
no idea where it would have come from (honestly, I WOULD have returned it),
so I picked it up, walked to the end of the block and came back, thinking if
someone DID just have it blow away, they'd come looking for it. So I
considered it my lucky day. After I finished my walk and before going home,
I went out to the store, and I stopped at the pay phone just inside the
doors and made a phone call back home to check my answering machine. Hung
up the phone, and like three quarters came back!!! There's that saying
that "good things happen in three's", so I figured what the heck, I WOULD
buy a lottery ticket since I was at the store. I decided to get some
groceries first, so I went through the checkout line, they had high-school
kids raising money by bagging groceries for tips. From the checkout line, I
went to the counter and bought a lottery ticket. Walked back home, unpacked
my groceries and found bananas that I KNOW I didn't buy. Apparently the
high school kids bagging put someone else's bananas in my bag.

So my lucky third thing was two pounds of bananas. The lottery ticket was a
bust. I should have bought the ticket first.

Old November 30th 03, 06:50 AM
G.Kelly

Karen I loved your story and ,yes, perhaps you should have bought the ticket
first !! I do not know why this brings me to remember another story. We
were on the train from Nuremberg to Pilza when, what is now the Chez
republic, was still behind the iron curtain and although the consulate here
told us we had to cash the equivalent of 100 US dollars at the border before
entering we were not allowed off the train at the border so when the ticket
collector came for us to buy a ticket we only had German and Aust currency
and she would not take that but after a lot of waiting for the Big Brass
standing at the door to take heed she just tore the ticket up !! So we
arrived without a ticket and without cashing the money

We managed to find a taxi and also managed to convey to him, without any of
their language, that we wanted a budget hotel and he found us just the most
perfect place right in the centre of the city. We went to pay him and
showed him German money in a large denomination and he accepted it and gave
me a handful of change and when we had booked into the hotel and checked
the rate I had twice as much as I had offered him. I felt really bad as
he had been so kind and I thought that he must have mistaken the note for a
larger one in the dark.

Next day we hailed another taxi ( too cold at minus 26 to walk too far) and
he spoke some english and asked for german money saying that he would give
us a good rate. This we gave him and to my amazement he returned it
twofold. It seemed that this was the "black market" value - a free taxi
ride and double your money. So much for the stupid communist idea of
cashing the US dollars at the border - here we were two days in town with
twice as much as when we arrived !!!! Bye God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old November 30th 03, 07:34 AM
G.Kelly

Nora, I cannot stop laughing it seems so funny, would you believe ? today I
got a "post card" from Australia Post saying that I posted one of my
"letters" to the USA without a stamp but that they posted it for me "in good
faith" and would I kindly put $2.70 worth of stamps on it and return it -
this to cover the cost of the postage which they said was originally $1.65
plus $1.05 charge for not having put the stamp on it ! Actually all the
mail I posted ( 52 in all) were not ordinary letters but Christmas greetings
and as such the USA postage was 90 cents.

So just to be difficult I plan to return it with $1.95 on it !!! ( actually
I think it is good that Australia Post let the letter go instead of wasting
time sending it back to me for a stamp )
God Bless gwen
--

Gwen Kelly

Old November 30th 03, 12:59 PM
Anna MCM

G.Kelly wrote:

=20
[...]

Yes, you guessed right. The drivers applied the "black market" change.
It was the main "business" of taxi drivers.
I did that both in Czechoslovakia and USSR, I mean, I changed at the=20
black market, I don=B4t remember the rate). I didn=B4t want to give my=20
money to government. One could object that the money could go for not so =

clear pourposes (even if usually it was for "Western luxuries" as buying =

a fridge or a washing machine), but I felt more criminal giving money to =

the regimes.
I was there in 1984 and it looked EXACTLY like one could imagine=20
Orwell=B4s book. I felt in love with that country anyway and returning to=
=20
Prague past year was a bit of returning home...

Hugs,

Anna Maria