Birds and Beads

Old July 2nd 03, 06:22 PM
Deirdre S.

Maybe they did a rescue on the buffalo when they were young. Maybe
they just wanted to attract the attention of the neighborhood. ;-)

Like you, I hope they now have room to roam and aren't still penned
up.

Deirdre

On 01 Jul 2003 18:16:52 GMT, pamsux (Rachel T.)
wrote:

OK. Now we need to hear the buffalo story...

Story? No real story to it. Around the corner from where my mom used to live,
there was a house that had 2 buffalo in the yard. No kidding. Big, furry necked
buffalo just like the ones that roam wild.

I would hear people talk about it and didn't believe it until I saw them for
myself.

I don't think they're there anymore. I would hope not. Just didn't seem right.
I have no idea why these people had them. But it's true. I'll have to remember
to go by and see if they are there. If they are, I'll take pictures! lol

Rachel T.
Damn right I'm good in bed. I can sleep for days.

Old July 2nd 03, 11:34 PM
Helen Page

We "took in" a baby bird once, I think it was a blackbird. Well, it wasn't a
*baby* baby, it had all its feathers but was still chubby-baby-looking. Some
friends dropped me off at home and mum met me in the car park and showed me
the bird which she had just found (it obviously wasn't just waiting for
mummy-bird to come back or mum wouldn't have picked it up). We kept it safe
in my old hamster cage but (as we suspected) the shock was too much and it
died during the night.

Old July 3rd 03, 01:29 AM
Dr. Sooz

Most baby-looking critters need to be left alone, actually. They've been
thrown out of the nest to be on their own. (Rachel's little bird was an
obvious exception -- he had no feathers, etc.) There's a problem around here
with people taking beached baby elephant seals and sea lions to the Marine
Mammal Center (north of here). They should be left *alone*, as mother seals
leave them on the beach so they can go catch food for them. People even bundle
them up in sleeping bags to keep them warm, which can kill them (they live in
the ice-cold sea!). Baby birds often are the same story, if they have their
feathers but are still baby-fat. It's sink or swim in nature, and they don't
necessarily need our "help". It can be more harmful than helpful.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/links.htm
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 4th 03, 06:04 AM
BethF

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Maybe they did a rescue on the buffalo when they were young. Maybe
they just wanted to attract the attention of the neighborhood. ;-)

my partner grew up in delta junction alaska, where the buffalo roamed. one
day they went outside to go to school and EEK, there were several buffalo
huddled up against the trailer to get warm.

they didn't have to go to school that day

Old July 8th 03, 12:02 AM
Christina Peterson

Grew up in Delta? What's your partner's name? I know a bunch of people
down there. Yeah, sometimes the buffalo there wander out onto the road, and
stop traffic. They're hard to move, though our Queensland heeler can do it.
They're bred for exactly that job.

Tina