tools for a beginner?

Old December 13th 03, 07:54 PM
lucky1

Default tools for a beginner?

I am going to try my hand at carving and would like some advice on what
tools to begin with. And yes I read the FAQ and searched some through the
archives. I also have checked out a few books from the library. But they
were not very specific about which tools for which type of carving....

I like this guys work: http://www.donaldpowell.com.au/main.htm

Not that I'd expect to ever be that good and certainly not any time soon.
But this is the style I would like to strive towards.

I believe this is called "in the round" and is probably done with knives as
assorted gouges and scorpes.

I live near a Woodcraft and have looked on their website but would like some
input from some of you here prior to heading down there so that it is not
all to over whelming.

Thanks in advance for your advice/input.

take the un out to respond via e-mail

Old December 14th 03, 09:58 AM
Princebilly1

A good starter set of Henry Taylor ( Sheffield England ) tools will be a good
investment for hand carving in the round.

Plenty of different gouges and chisels and a very good Lignum Vitae mallet is
essential

Steve
Old December 14th 03, 10:08 PM
GJP

Well Lucky1 you have a lot of research ahead of you.(G)
I would suggest you first buy Chris Pye's book(s) Woodcarving,
Tools,Material and Equipment.
Either the older edition i book (cheaper) or the newer two volume set.
You will use his books as a "goto woodcarving bible" for the rest of your
carving days.(G)
As for the suggestion of Henry Taylor tools, my choice also, but as for the
mallet well if you can find a Lignum Vitae mallet nowadays good luck, but
again it's my choice.(G)
I say look at all the different types of woodcarving before making any
choice on tools..and I might also say don't buy a "set" as there will be
tools you will almost never use in sets created by manufacturers or sets
that such and such carver recommends unless you are actually taking classes
from that particular carver.

GJP

Old December 15th 03, 05:51 PM
George

If you're near a Woodcraft, you're probably near some carvers. Ask for some
instruction from them. The guy who taught me owned probably one of every
gouge or knife made by any manufacturer, but did most of his work in the
round with a Camillus pocketknife.

I have never mastered the knife, but find that a dozen tools are sufficient
for claw and ball and the odd acanthus carving to embellish my regular
woodwork. Fisch is the brand on my set, but the odd pieces are Dastra,
Pfeil, and an Ashley Isles.

Old December 15th 03, 11:13 PM
Ev

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:54:56 GMT, "lucky1"
wrote:

I am going to try my hand at carving and would like some advice on what
tools to begin with. And yes I read the FAQ and searched some through the
archives. I also have checked out a few books from the library. But they
were not very specific about which tools for which type of carving....

I like this guys work: http://www.donaldpowell.com.au/main.htm

Not that I'd expect to ever be that good and certainly not any time soon.
But this is the style I would like to strive towards.

I believe this is called "in the round" and is probably done with knives as
assorted gouges and scorpes.

I live near a Woodcraft and have looked on their website but would like some
input from some of you here prior to heading down there so that it is not
all to over whelming.

Thanks in advance for your advice/input.

take the un out to respond via e-mail

Hi - I just want to let you know that Woodcraft often has classes, are
in touch with local carvers and their clubs. It would be worth a trip
in to talk to some of the salesmen there. They are most helpful. You
really need to decide on the size and style of carving you wish to do
before buying a bunch of tools. This was a good place to start
looking for what to do.

Ev
My woodcarvings are at
http://home.earthlink.net/~lvbiggio/
Old December 16th 03, 02:02 AM
WeeWilly

I'd buy either Stubai or Pfeil. Both excellent quality. Either palm tools
or standard size mallet tools.. which ever fits your style of carving.
However, my suggestion is to buy the best you can afford.. you will be
rewarded. The next suggestion is to buy ONLY what you NEED.. not want.
You'll find yourself wanting to fill up a tool box.. but it's easy to buy a
bunch of tools you may never use.. wasted money. Wait till you really need
something and can't do the process with what you have.. Then pony up the
$$... you'll be ahead in the long run.
--
Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
A Few Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

AD ? - Hand Tools Polly S. Beads 37 July 23rd 12 05:38 AM
Glass tools and Polyclay? Stephanie Beads 9 September 28th 04 09:04 PM
Beginner Lampworking Questions Maeven Beads 11 September 10th 04 04:55 PM
wire wrapping tools Pandi Beads 9 April 26th 04 04:43 PM
Discount tools and other free stuff. Ken Carving 0 October 1st 03 08:59 PM