Shelagh--how do you pronounce your name

Old June 10th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Shelagh--how do you pronounce your name

Now I would have NEVER thought that....Celtic Shelia......well it's a
beautiful liooking word, so esoteric, thanks for the answer!!!!!!! maggs

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Maggs" wrote in message
I'v e wondered since i first joined this group, how do you pronounce your
name???? I won't insult you with the ways i have come up with......i'm

sure
they are all wrong!!!!

Maggie, madly knitting in the Arizona desert!!!! (where is it about 110
degrees, ok, really about 105!!!!!)

Tee hee...... don't worry Maggs, a lot of people haven't seen that
spelling - it's the Celtic or Irish way of spelling Sheila. So, it's just
She-la. I get She-lag a lot, and as a matter of fact my best friend
calls me She-lag just for fun. I've heard She-laf, She-log, She-luf, and
sometimes just a puzzled face. When I see that, I just pronounce it for
the
person, and you should see the look of relief on their face! ;)

Shelagh

Old June 10th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shelagh,

I always imagined it was pronounced She-LAY (soft "e"). Do you accent
the first or second syllable?

Hesira

Old June 10th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I wonder if it's the same soap character I thought of when I saw the
name....

BB
who has a son named Ryan - the soap called to my attention how much I
liked the name, although now there are Ryans everywhere.

No, no, no. That was Sioned. Our daughter wouldn't be named after a
pop star!!!!

Instead, she's named after a character on a soap opera. :P

The 'bh' always messes with people though.

Tracey

Old June 10th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

BB wrote:
I wonder if it's the same soap character I thought of when I saw the
name....

BB
who has a son named Ryan - the soap called to my attention how much I
liked the name, although now there are Ryans everywhere.

Let's see. Siobhan. Ryan. I'm thinking it is. That kinda dates me,
doesn't it?

Tracey
who coulda named her daughter Maeve but not Frank :P

Old June 10th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Agent 86 wrote:
I know that author she 's not bad which book are you reading? -regards
alison b

Re-reading, actually. Starting with 'The Dragon Prince' and will go
through the whole series. Again. I like that series a lot.

Tracey

Old June 10th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I'm dating myself by saying I named my son Ryan before it was such a
popular name I never even considered Seneca for his name though...

Siobhan was a cool character and is a neat name.

Old June 10th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"hesira" wrote in message
ups.com...
Shelagh,

I always imagined it was pronounced She-LAY (soft "e"). Do you accent
the first or second syllable?

Hesira

Hmmmmmmmm, I had to think about that. Perhaps a little stronger on the
first....

Shelagh

Old June 10th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shillelagh wrote:

"Threnody" wrote in message
.net...

Heh. I had a character I wrote about named Seileach ("SHELL-lock" is
the closest pronunciation I can come up with). It's Scots Gaelic for
"willow". Anyway, everyone who read the stories about her called her
Sea Leech.

And that's why my first daughter is named McKinley instead.

--Threnody

I probably would have said "Sea Leech" too.(snicker). And I love that you
wrote "Scots"..... of course you know how many people say "Scotch".

scotch is also a game for some children

When I
hear that it's like fingernails on a blackboard.... I usually say - you
drink Scotch, the people are Scots.(grin)

agree

Shelagh

klh in VA and sometimes in a kilt

Old June 10th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Gaelic (was: Shelagh--how do you pronounce your name)

Shillelagh wrote:
"Threnody" wrote in message
. net...

Heh. I had a character I wrote about named Seileach ("SHELL-lock" is
the closest pronunciation I can come up with). It's Scots Gaelic for
"willow". Anyway, everyone who read the stories about her called her
Sea Leech.

And that's why my first daughter is named McKinley instead.

--Threnody

I probably would have said "Sea Leech" too.(snicker). And I love that you
wrote "Scots"..... of course you know how many people say "Scotch". When I
hear that it's like fingernails on a blackboard.... I usually say - you
drink Scotch, the people are Scots.(grin)

I was a linguistics major in college after I dropped opera. Gaelic was
my concentration language -- even though I was studying computer
artificial intelligence and communication disorders. The maternal side
of my family consists of Scots immigrants who've been trickling over
brother by brother since about 1850-something. We grew up hearing Scots
English and Gaelic phrases a lot, so when I had to choose a language for
my major it seemed an obvious thing to choose that one. My father's
people are Sicilian, so I could just as easily have chosen Italian, but
it seemed like *everybody* was studying a European language and I didn't
want to waste my time by picking up something I could easily learn later
in life.

Anyway, I nearly wrote "Gaelic" instead of "Scots Gaelic," because as
far as I can recollect, the Irish call their language Irish, not Gaelic
nor Irish Gaelic. It's a pure Americanism from what I can tell.

I met my husband in my first night of Gaelic class. He was an
engineering student but had visited Scotland that summer and was
intrigued by the language when he heard it. Over all, it worked out
nicely for me.

--Threnody
Old June 10th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Threnody wrote:
[...]

You dropped opera???? Sorry to hear that, Threnody. What did you use your
linguistics major for? My SIL is finishing a master's in linguistics now,
and is focusing on Sheshatshiu Innu-aimun, which is the language used by
Innu in Labrador.

Higs,
Katheirne

My elann order arrived! (Shelagh!!) YarnWright Yarn 10 March 26th 06 03:07 PM
Att'n: Shelagh. The YarnWright Yarn 5 January 1st 06 10:51 PM
Shelagh: regarding "awards" The YarnWright Yarn 0 December 31st 05 03:39 PM
Nov threads exchange - Shelagh Sue W Yarn 0 November 6th 05 12:57 AM
How to pronounce Peridot. Abrasha Jewelry 5 April 15th 04 03:41 AM