Shelagh--how do you pronounce your name

Old June 13th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Shelagh--how do you pronounce your name

Els van Dam wrote:

Ottawa used to be called Bytown. I finally found a reference to
Bytown in the a Canadian dictionary

Just a bit of trivia....LOL

I *love* trivia!

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shelagh i answered you , but it came back ,,, we are a Very Gutural
language speakers ,,
mirjam

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message

Any way i asked around Scotish origined people and they told me to say
SheLagh ,,,,prouncing the GH like the Dutch pronounch Go in Van goch
or the Spaninsh pronounce the J in JUAN ,,,,, a nice Guttoral Kh ...of
CH prononunced this way it makes into the Hebrew word YOURS
..[female singular ]
mirjam

Aaaah Mirjam, maybe those Scottish people still have their lovely accents
and can pronounce my name that way. Here, we just call me She La..... the
gutteral part just wouldn't work for a Canadian accent. (smile)

Shelagh

Old June 13th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Ottawa used to be called Bytown. I finally found a reference to
Bytown in
the a Canadian dictionary

Just a bit of trivia....LOL

Els

"BY the way":
"By" in Norwegian means: "Town"!
AUD ;-))

Old June 14th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , "Aud"
wrote:

Ottawa used to be called Bytown. I finally found a reference to
Bytown in
the a Canadian dictionary

Just a bit of trivia....LOL

Els

"BY the way":
"By" in Norwegian means: "Town"!
AUD ;-))

Well there you go then, it must be a Norwegian word slipped into Ontario.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 14th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
"Your friend" wrote:

Look at http://wikitravel.org/en/Ottawa and you will see Bytown was named
after Colonel John By.

OK I tried to make it to scientific.....Otto always claims that I make
things much more difficult than the really are,...LOL

I did like the added explanation from Aud thought.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Els van Dam" wrote in
"Your friend" wrote:

Look at http://wikitravel.org/en/Ottawa and you will see Bytown was

named
after Colonel John By.

OK I tried to make it to scientific.....Otto always claims that I make
things much more difficult than the really are,...LOL

I did like the added explanation from Aud thought.

Els

If you ever go to Norway, remember that "by" is not pronounced the same way
in Norwegian as it is in English.

--
Jan in MN

Old June 14th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Tracey" wrote in message

Okay, give - what did you name her? And the pronounciation too,

please.....
;)

Shelagh

LOL

Siobhan. Okay, so it's not *totally* obscure but she sure don't have
to worry about people not knowing which Siobhan people are talking
about. :P

And pronounciation is Shu-VON as in shut and don.

Tracey

Heh - I knew the pronunciation of that name - only because of the singer
who
shaved her head..... that's when I heard it.

Shelagh

wasn't that Sinead? O'Connor

Linda

Old June 14th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Your friend" skrev i melding
"Els van Dam" wrote in
"Your friend" wrote:

I did like the added explanation from Aud thought.

Els

If you ever go to Norway, remember that "by" is not pronounced the
same way
in Norwegian as it is in English.

....it is pronounced bü , like the German letter: Ü!
I know that BYTOWN do NOT mean: "town-town" but I thought it was a funny
coincidense, don't you think???
Aud ;-)

Old June 15th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , "Aud"
wrote:

"Your friend" skrev i melding
"Els van Dam" wrote in
"Your friend" wrote:

I did like the added explanation from Aud thought.

Els

If you ever go to Norway, remember that "by" is not pronounced the
same way
in Norwegian as it is in English.

...it is pronounced bü , like the German letter: Ü!
I know that BYTOWN do NOT mean: "town-town" but I thought it was a funny
coincidense, don't you think???
Aud ;-)

Yes Aud, It is a smile..

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 15th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Maraviclin" wrote in message

Heh - I knew the pronunciation of that name - only because of the singer
who
shaved her head..... that's when I heard it.

Shelagh

wasn't that Sinead? O'Connor

Linda

Yes, it was. I remembered that after I made the above post. ;)

Shelagh

My elann order arrived! (Shelagh!!) YarnWright Yarn 10 March 26th 06 03:07 PM
Att'n: Shelagh. The YarnWright Yarn 5 January 1st 06 10:51 PM
Shelagh: regarding "awards" The YarnWright Yarn 0 December 31st 05 03:39 PM
Nov threads exchange - Shelagh Sue W Yarn 0 November 6th 05 12:57 AM
How to pronounce Peridot. Abrasha Jewelry 5 April 15th 04 03:41 AM