For your info

Old September 21st 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default For your info

This information was posted on a figure skating group I read. The woman who
posted it is very computer literate, and I thought you might be interested.

She titled her post "Imminent Death of Usenet Predicted"
Just wanted to warn anyone who's still listening here that this
month's posting of the Competitive Figure Skating FAQ to this group
will be the last one.

My ISP (Comcast cable) has announced they are no longer going to
provide access to Usenet newsgroups, effective next month. I
understand that this is due to New York blaming Usenet for spreading
child pornography, and that other large ISPs (Time Warner cable, etc)
have already caved in and pulled the plug as well.

I've thought about it for a bit, and decided it's not worthwhile for
me to buy a pay subscription to a service like Giganews. There are
only a few other groups I follow anymore, and I rarely post. RSSIF,
in particular, already seems to have lost a critical mass of posters
for it to be an interesting and worthwhile place to chat with fellow
skatefans. With more large chunks of the online community losing
Usenet access now, I think the situation is only going to deteriorate
further. There's not much point in paying $7.95/month to talk to
people who aren't there any longer.

I'm aware that Google provides a free web-based Usenet gateway for
both reading and posting. Apparently, though, most "real" Usenet
services ignore articles posted from Google, so this doesn't seem
like a practical alternative for posting the FAQ. Also, the scripts I
use to produce the FAQ won't work with Google's interface, and I'm not
keen on committing to do the extra work of posting it by hand if no
one is listening anyway

Old September 22nd 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

snip
USENET has been around long before the web, and will continue to exist. I
was posting to local BBS before it was USENET.
If you and your friends are interested in keeping the group going, there are
countless free news servers that carry quite a few of the text only groups.
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
Just be sure that you choose a server that is not read only, but allows
posting.
DA

Old September 22nd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"DA" don't live wrote in message
snip
USENET has been around long before the web, and will continue to exist. I
was posting to local BBS before it was USENET.
If you and your friends are interested in keeping the group going, there
are countless free news servers that carry quite a few of the text only
groups.
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
Just be sure that you choose a server that is not read only, but allows
posting.
DA

I only have my ISP, and for the present, they're still carrying it.
However,
I agree with the woman who made the original post. There are way
fewer people reading ngroups than before, and this group is a perfect
example.

When we lost 80% of the people who used to post here, it was sad. But
I refuse to read the new group on Yahell, much as I enjoyed the people
who moved over there.

I tend to agree with the woman who posted about it eventually going
down the tubes. I think it's going to happen. But that's just my 2 cents
and I'll continue to read this group until it dies.

Shelagh

Old September 22nd 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Shillelagh wrote:
[...]

The imminent death of usenet has been predicted since about 1992.
Certain news providers are dropping it in response to pressure from
state and federal government to eliminate porn. Which is an all or
nothing attitude; if they simply dropped only the alt.* heierarchy
groups, that would seriously curtail porn propagation without affecting
thousands, or millions of users. There are several free new providers
out there where all you have to do is sign up with a valid email address.
Old September 22nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Shillelagh wrote:
[...]

Well, some of us will be here with you, so it may not die completely...
maybe just take a nap from time to time.

sue
Old September 22nd 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 3:00*am, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"DA" don't live wrote in messagenews:2OqdnX0FwIRTTkvVnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

[...]

Dear Shelagh i do hope this Ng [and others won`t die` ] i used to read
it thrtough Agent , but my server was bought by an other who doesn`t
provide `Agent Access `, thus my son found me the Google Gate and i am
quite happy with it ,,
And i see some nice new people joined here as well , i do also read
the list people made both are joyful ,,,
mirjam
Old September 22nd 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 3:42*am, suzee wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:
[...]

sue- Hide quoted text -

As long as we dream up new knitting patterns to share with all
later ,,,,,
mirjam
Old September 22nd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

suzee wrote in
:

The imminent death of usenet has been predicted since about
1992. Certain news providers are dropping it in response to
pressure from state and federal government to eliminate
porn. Which is an all or nothing attitude; if they simply
dropped only the alt.* heierarchy groups, that would
seriously curtail porn propagation without affecting
thousands, or millions of users. There are several free new
providers out there where all you have to do is sign up
with a valid email address.

actually, if they just dropped *binaries*, it would curtail
it. alt. groups are just text, like the rec. groups.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old September 22nd 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

enigma wrote:
suzee wrote in
:

The imminent death of usenet has been predicted since about
1992. Certain news providers are dropping it in response to
pressure from state and federal government to eliminate
porn. Which is an all or nothing attitude; if they simply
dropped only the alt.* heierarchy groups, that would
seriously curtail porn propagation without affecting
thousands, or millions of users. There are several free new
providers out there where all you have to do is sign up
with a valid email address.

actually, if they just dropped *binaries*, it would curtail
it. alt. groups are just text, like the rec. groups.

Actually, yes, that's true. But a lot of ISPs are looking for an excuse
to dump newsgroups, they don't find it cost-effective to run an
additional server and people to pay attention to it, and think a lot of
their customers don't use it anyway.
Old September 25th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---------
[...]

Interesting. But I have been using Google ever since I moved to
Montreal,
and, while not ideal it works for me.

Thanks, Shelagh.

TTFN
Katherine

OT still looking for more info on TAP joysjane Quilting 3 August 19th 06 12:33 AM
Thanks for info !!!!!! Marlene McCray Quilting 0 August 15th 06 12:44 AM
Info on dad Cindy Schoepp Beads 1 February 28th 06 05:33 AM
Need info on LQS AliceW Quilting 9 April 8th 05 05:24 PM