Sample blocks ideas needed

Old December 3rd 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Sample blocks ideas needed

I'm in charge of the block of the month for my guild. Each month I hand out
a block pattern and instructions, as well as some of the fabric to make the
block. I've been making sample blocks of each one, and I've also been making
some examples of what can be done with the blocks. Instead of 1 or 2 people
winning 30 blocks, I divide up the blocks into sets of 6 (more or less) and
let 6, 7 or 8 people each win. The participation has gone WAY up since I
started doing it that way. Last month, I handed out 60 kits, and 51 finished
blocks were handed in. I was stunned!

Anyway, since I don't hand out enough blocks to make a quilt, I've been
trying to show people what they can do with fewer blocks. The first month
was a candy corn block, and I showed a wallhanging I made. The next month, a
table runner; last month, I used the gingerbread house blocks as pockets on
an apron I made, and also suggested they would make fun potholder gifts.

This month, I'm handing out a 2-block combo - Contrary Wife and Ornery
Husband blocks .
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/H...ryHusband.html
this shows an example of a whole quilt done with these blocks.

Well, I'm having a hard time coming up with an idea for what could be done
with 6-10 blocks. Yes, I could do a wallhanging, but that doesn't sound very
inspiring to me. (Last month, 2 people won prizes for finishing small quilts
with the candy corn blocks they won.) The blocks are 6" finished. If 45
people hand in finished blocks, I could give out 5 sets of 9 blocks each,
for example. What could be done with 8 sets? Remember, it would be actually
18 - 9 Wife and 9 Husband blocks.

This month, I don't know if I'll actually have time to make samples, but I
could do mock-ups in EQ5.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old December 3rd 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

How big are the blocks?

At our guild the theme this year is baskets. One month the lady in
charge made blocks into placemats. They were extremely cute. 18 blocks
is a lot of placemats unless they are 6" blocks then you could do four
blocks to a placemat. Make four and that uses sixteen blocks and use
the other two for potholders or incorporated into a table runner or.....

marcella

Old December 3rd 05, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This is a beautiful pattern. How about a window valance? Maybe a table cloth
for a card table. A mantel scarf might work. These are just some different
things I could think of.

She in PA

Old December 4th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well depending on the size of the blocks you can make quilted carry bags, or
use tham as pockets on carry bags.

Or make sets of placemats - 6 or 8 would be a good number for that.

If they are small blocks, make small mini-quilts and use them as greeting
cards.

The usual pot-holders and mits

Run compatible blocks over two or three months and combine them for a quilt.

Turning the blocks on point can increase the design options

Illustrate some nice sashings that would make the blocks bigger, or use the
blocks in borders for a larger quilt. A friend here has a king size quilt
that is made from multiples of nine blocks collected as block swaps over
five years. Her group does a block swap at their annual get together, and
since the blocks were not enough to make a big quilt (the only kind she is
interested in LOL!) she just kept collecting and adding in rows.

Hope that helps. Sounds like a lot of fun.
--

Cheryl
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old December 4th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I wish I could tell you I've done this - but, alas, I have not. My SMs and
sergers look so pitiful with their dust / QI hair / flying batting fuzz
covers. A person who could quilt would certainly take some blocks and make
"lovely to look at" covers. My SMs and serger covers are simply chopped off
hunks of cheap knit flannel. 2006 might be the year. One resolution won't
kill me, will it? Polly

Old December 4th 05, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

How 'bout something funky like a bathroom set... tissue box cover, lid
and tank covers, hanging bag for hairdryer and personal "stuff", wide
padded frame around a mirror, topper for a window plus shower curtain
valance, covered box (like a hatbox) for make-up or a make-up bag, etc.
It's 2 a.m...... don't expect too much from me! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 4th 05, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wendy,
You could make pillow cases -- perhaps pillow sham would be more accurate.
Six blocks would be nice for the front.

Nann