Shipping

Old December 2nd 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Shipping

I don't even mind a reasonable amount of shipping and handling if the thing
needs a box and packing materials. Or if it's heavy. But this is a CD.
They can stick it in an oversized envelope and mail it for under a buck.
And that included the envelope!!

Cindy
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
.net...
Many times, I've seen the shipping and handling charges at the end of an
online order and cancelled the whole thing. Some places must think I'm as
dumb as I look. Polly

"teleflora" said Ok, it's really starting to bug me. I know that the
price of everything
is going up, but explain to me why shipping a CD to me should cost a
company $7.98? I would rather the CD cost me $8 more than to feel like
I'm getting ripped off like this. I emailed them and said I could
DRIVE to Kansas City cheaper than their shipping rate. It's Vintage
Workshop (so it is on topic) and I love their stuff.

What's the deal??

Cindy

Old December 2nd 05, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have to pay an extra $2.50 "fuel surcharge" for my food delivery
trucks every week. This makes me laugh because I know a big diesel
truck must cost them more than $2.50 to drive the 160+ miles from the
warehouse to me. If it was really the cost, I'd be paying and extra $25
each week (plus their markup on my supplies)!!!

Working backwards, mail order houses aren't paying extra for postage
(until the stamps go up again) and they probably have UPS or the Postal
Service or Fed Ex come pick things up.

As prices climb, I think the Shop Local concept is making more sense.
Every local merchant you can support benefits your community in a dozen
ways, and it's probably cheaper in the long run if you figure in
driving time/gas, etc. Looking at items online is fun, but when it
comes time to part with my dollars, I'd prefer to do it with someone I
can see and know where their shop is. I can usually live without the
stuff I can't find locally.

Annie

Old December 2nd 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Amazing. I shipped a DVD to Australia for under $2 and that was airmail
not media mail. Crazy. Does it really take someone at minimum wage to
print off your address, stick it on the envelope and put the cd inside?

marcella

Old December 2nd 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: Thank you Polly (was Shipping)

You just sent me into fits of giggles (it's a good thing DH isn't home or
he'd wonder what I'd been into). I just finished three hours of working on
an intense PowerPoint presentation for work (after my normal day), and I'm
starting to see double. When I read your last line, it just "tickled me to
death," as Grandma used to say.

Bless your heart!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old December 2nd 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I second the recommendation for Siri's.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 2nd 05, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Now you have hit on a particular sore spot of mine. I get absolutely rabid
about these over inflated shipping and handling fees charged by some outfits
(kindest name I can think of at the moment). I bought an area rug to catch
some of the dirt that gets walked in at the front door. They charged me $29
to ship a 3' x 4' rug. When I looked it up the actual shipping was $8 - to
say I was pi**ed is a major understatement. I had a purple polka dotted
hissy coniption fit!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old December 2nd 05, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

link please?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

(Siri's also answers emails
promptly and are very nice to deal with- I recommend them highly.)

Leslie (certified cheapskate) & The Furbabies in MO.