OT Recipe Definitions

Old July 18th 05, 06:51 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default OT Recipe Definitions

Well, with our recent food conversations, this seems like a great time
to educate myself.
A while back our local Michaels had a big table of large recipe books
with gorgeous photos and really cheap! The one that appealed, that I
bought (" Vegetarian: Over 180 Tempting Recipes" for $5. Seven
authors, from Parragon Publishing in Bath, UK) has some great things
which I've tried.
But it is British and it is very amazing how language evolves in
separate communities in such a short time (200 years). The grams,
pints, ounces, etc., are a bit difficult, but I do have a kitchen
scale with ounces on it. Also the old "pinch of this, tad of that,
handful of the other" works.
But there are some ingredients that are called something different
from things I know here in the USA. Can anyone help me out here?
Courgettes?
Castor sugar?
Demerera sugar?
Passata?
Quark? (I thought that was some kind of pulsing star)
Gelazone?
Is Cornflour the same as Cornstarch?
Yarrow?
Haricot beans?
I do know aubergines are eggplants
Thanks!

Kira
Old July 18th 05, 07:08 PM
Wooly

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:51:41 GMT, !! (Kira
Dirlik) spewed forth :

Courgettes?

zucchini, or other soft-skinned summer squash as a substitute

Castor sugar?

Superfine sugar, granular, not powdered confectioners sugar.
Sometimes sold as "bar sugar" in the US because it dissolves easily.

Demerera sugar?

Brown sugar. Usually the "light" version, use whatever you have on
hand if color of the finished product isn't of concern.

Passata?

Tomato puree. May or may not be seasoned

Quark?

Some sort of sourish soft cheese (I had to look this one up).
American creamed cheese might be a substitute, from the description.

(I thought that was some kind of pulsing star)

That's a quasar. A physics quark is a constituent part of an
electron. I think.

Gelazone?

Gelatin? Unflavored, I'm assume, if I'm correct

Is Cornflour the same as Cornstarch?

Yes.

Yarrow?

The only "yarrow" I know is an herbal remedy.

Haricot beans?

Haricort verts are just snooty beans originally grown in France.
They're of small diameter and fairly long. Use young green beans of
any sort you can acquire.

I do know aubergines are eggplants
Thanks!

Kira

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 18th 05, 07:09 PM
suzee

Kira Dirlik wrote:

Well, with our recent food conversations, this seems like a great time
to educate myself.
A while back our local Michaels had a big table of large recipe books
with gorgeous photos and really cheap! The one that appealed, that I
bought (" Vegetarian: Over 180 Tempting Recipes" for $5. Seven
authors, from Parragon Publishing in Bath, UK) has some great things
which I've tried.

I got a couple of them too, Health Cooking and Mediterranean Cooking.
And they were $3 in my store.

But it is British and it is very amazing how language evolves in
separate communities in such a short time (200 years). The grams,
pints, ounces, etc., are a bit difficult, but I do have a kitchen
scale with ounces on it. Also the old "pinch of this, tad of that,
handful of the other" works.
But there are some ingredients that are called something different
from things I know here in the USA. Can anyone help me out here?
Courgettes?

Cucumbers

Castor sugar?

Regular table sugar

Demerera sugar?

Cane sugar.

Passata?
Quark? (I thought that was some kind of pulsing star)
Gelazone?
Is Cornflour the same as Cornstarch?

I think so.

Yarrow?

An herb

Haricot beans?

Green beans/string beans

Hope that helps.

sue
Old July 18th 05, 07:19 PM
Laura J

"Wooly" wrote in message
[...]

Looks like Wooly answered all your questions. I did want to point out that
you can get Quark in the U.S. I see it most often from a company called the
Vermont Butter & Cheese Company and it is available at most supermarkets.
I'm not sure if that is the case outside of New England but you should at
least be able to find it at a Bread and Circus or specialty food or cheese
shop. Here is some info from that company on what you can use it for:
http://www.vtbutterandcheeseco.com/Chef%20Kitchen.htm You can also make it
yourself. Scroll down this page until you get to Quark:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chefresh.html.

www.foodsubs.com, by the way, is one of my favorite websites for finding
food substitutions!

HTH!

LauraJ

Old July 18th 05, 10:07 PM
emerald

-
Quark?

Some sort of sourish soft cheese (I had to look this one up).
American creamed cheese might be a substitute, from the description.

Texture-wise I think cream cheese should be OK. But quark is quite sour so
maybe adding some similarly-textured plain yogurt would help the flavour.

Eimear

Old July 18th 05, 10:38 PM
Wooly

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:07:32 GMT, "emerald"
spewed forth :

Texture-wise I think cream cheese should be OK. But quark is quite sour so
maybe adding some similarly-textured plain yogurt would help the flavour.

Ah, the Galloping Gourmet (RIP Graham Kerr) introduced me to yogurt
cheese many many years ago: dump a pint of plain yogurt into a brown
paper coffee filter or cheese cloth which in turn is already in a
funnel. Put the funnel into a container that'll hold it upright
without the whole thing falling over, and put it in the fridge. Allow
this to drain for as long as it takes the yogurt to achieve a
consistency you like.

I have a whole gallon of yogurt in the fridge right now (don't ask),
so I think I'll make some!

+++++++++++++

Old July 18th 05, 11:59 PM
Ray Almond

In article on r.c.t.y
"Kira Dirlik" writes:

But it is British and it is very amazing how language evolves in
separate communities in such a short time (200 years). The grams,
pints, ounces, etc., are a bit difficult, but I do have a kitchen
scale with ounces on it. Also the old "pinch of this, tad of that,
handful of the other" works.

do remember that an English pint is not the same size as an American
pint (20 fl oz against 16 fl oz).

But there are some ingredients that are called something different
from things I know here in the USA. Can anyone help me out here?
Courgettes?

zucchini (which they are also called in Oz)

Castor sugar?

very fine granulated sugar

Demerera sugar?

raw cane sugar

Passata?

pureed (creamed) tomatoes

Quark? (I thought that was some kind of pulsing star)

vegetarian cheese type stuff

Gelazone?

I suspect this is a specific brand of unflavoured vegetarian gelatin
substitute.

Is Cornflour the same as Cornstarch?

basically - its a thickening agent.

Yarrow?

a common perennial herb with pungent smell and astringent taste.

Haricot beans?

a type of green bean - usually just the bean and not the pod is used if
its asking for haricot beans rather than French beans.

--
Ray Almond
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Old July 19th 05, 04:51 AM
MRH

"Wooly" wrote in message

Ah, the Galloping Gourmet (RIP Graham Kerr) introduced me to yogurt

RIP? Is he dead? I used to watch him with my Mom when I was a kid.

Gemini

Old July 19th 05, 05:22 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I seem to remember that the quark is close to some `cottage` type of
cheese with soft and lumpy parts in it .
mirjam
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:07:32 GMT, "emerald"
wrote:

-
.. .

Old July 19th 05, 05:40 AM
Wooly

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:51:52 -0400, "MRH"
mthecarpenteratxcelcodotondotca spewed forth :

RIP? Is he dead? I used to watch him with my Mom when I was a kid.

Gemini

Well, I have quite clear recollections of seeing on the news a couple
of years ago that he had passed away. http://www.grahamkerr.com
suggests otherwise, as there's a current schedule and even a new book.

To paraphrase my distant cousin: "Rumors of his death have been
greatly exaggerated!" Apologies!

[of course, now I'm wondering who DID die...]

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
OT/Pear 'Honey' Recipe Needed from one of you Texas Cooks [email protected] Quilting 0 September 6th 03 04:51 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM