Crossing Over

Old December 29th 04, 07:12 PM
Maureen Miller

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I'm off to check out some
knitting and crochet supplies today and should be ready by Saturday to
get a start on SOMETHING. After all, Friday IS payday. LOL. As for
bashing certain people.....I would rather spend my time in constructive
pursuits so no worries there. I'll be checking out the links some of
you have sent later today. I KNEW this would be a good group!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.
Old December 29th 04, 07:16 PM
cher

That was me Allaya, a year or so ago this topic came up, and it is sooooo
awkward for lefties so Welcome Maureen, and do shout out for help,
especially if you don't get much info from this message, although I'm sure
you will...just put up another subject line of Leftie needs help, or
something similar.

In the meantime have a great time with the rest of the group..

Cheers....Cher
"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
Welcome, Maureen!

Wow, needlepoint is something I definitely CANNOT do, so my hat's off to

you
for that one! Let us know if we can be of any help! I know there are

few left handed knitters here, so I"m sure they will be able to give you
some pointers for learning. I think I remember one of them mentioning
looking at yourself in the mirror while learning helps. But hey, I"m a
rightie and I knit continentally on top of that, so I always get strange
looks around here (my friends use the throw method).

You'll hear it a lot, but you've found the friendliest group on the net,

so
whatever you need, we'll be here for ya, even if it's just morale support.
Good luck with learning to knit!

Allaya

"Maureen Miller" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

Some of the names in this group I recognize. I'm popping over from rctn
to see how difficult it will be to expand my needle skills. My New
Year's plan is to hit the local Michael's store and see if they can
teach me to knit and crochet. I'm left handed so have a miserable time
trying to learn from DMIL. 'Course, she has a miserable time trying to
teach me too! LOL. I hope to learn as much here in this new (to me)
skill as I did on rctn for needlepoint. Maybe one day I will be the one
to offer MY advice for knitting / crochet! )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old December 31st 04, 04:41 AM
Els van Dam

In article q86Ad.598545$nl.587710@pd7tw3no, Maureen Miller
wrote:

Hi everybody,

Some of the names in this group I recognize. I'm popping over from rctn
to see how difficult it will be to expand my needle skills. My New
Year's plan is to hit the local Michael's store and see if they can
teach me to knit and crochet. I'm left handed so have a miserable time
trying to learn from DMIL. 'Course, she has a miserable time trying to
teach me too! LOL. I hope to learn as much here in this new (to me)
skill as I did on rctn for needlepoint. Maybe one day I will be the one
to offer MY advice for knitting / crochet! )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Hello Maureen,

Welcome to the group, and I am sure that you will get lots of support for
your knitting and crocheting adventures, who knows there may be other
textile techniques we can teach you....

Els on Vancouver Island

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 7th 05, 02:11 PM
Laura J

"Maureen Miller" wrote in message news:q86Ad.598545$nl.587710@pd7tw3no...
Hi everybody,

Some of the names in this group I recognize. I'm popping over from rctn
to see how difficult it will be to expand my needle skills. My New Year's
plan is to hit the local Michael's store and see if they can teach me to
knit and crochet. I'm left handed so have a miserable time trying to
learn from DMIL. 'Course, she has a miserable time trying to teach me
too! LOL. I hope to learn as much here in this new (to me) skill as I did
on rctn for needlepoint. Maybe one day I will be the one to offer MY
advice for knitting / crochet! )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Hi Maureen and welcome to the group! I apologize for taking so long to
write. I was away over the holidays and have just finished catching up
reading everything that was posted while I was away.

I see that some people have already given you some good advice. I am also
left-handed and learned how to knit last year. I learned from a book and
started w/ left-handed English style (so, holding yarn in my left hand and
stitches moved from right to left needle). It was fine for a while but as I
got into more difficult patterns it started becoming a pain to reverse all
the lefts/rights in my head (esp for buttons, as I think Aud mentioned).
The real trouble came when I wanted to do a more complicated stitch pattern
and the left/right decreases just couldn't be reversed. So I switched over
to right-handed continental knitting. It was an easy switch because you
still hold the yarn in your left hand. And continental is generally
regarded as faster than English (though that is a topic for a whole other
discussion!). Since you're starting from scratch, I would highly recommend
you learn to knit continental style. I really wish I had learned that from
the start!

Do you have any LYS in your area? You might see if they have any knitting
classes there. Or you might find a local community group. Good luck!

LauraJ

Newgroups question nbhilyard Quilting 62 January 30th 05 10:38 PM
AD: Animal Crossing Cards + on Ebay Empress Beads Beads 3 November 1st 04 01:56 PM
Off topic but deadly important Jenn Liace Needlework 4 March 18th 04 10:46 PM