Kids Crafts Necklaces?

Old February 4th 04, 11:05 AM
Otsinekwar

Default Kids Crafts Necklaces?

Kwe Kwe akwekon, Hello all, my wife wants to have the kids at our
daughters Birthday party make Bracelets/Necklaces using Pony Beads, so
far no problem eh, I even got a good deal on some screw together
clasps($2 for a gross), I see now for stringing the beads, Beadalon,
looks a bit pricey to me tho, is there an advantage to beadalon over
using fishing line? I've got spools of 30 lb test mono filament, I
think the Beadalon says a break strength of 12 lbs. I also was
thinking of the high tech fishing lines like Spider Wire as they are
thinner but stronger than monofilament and likely easier to tie.

Any thoughts on this?

Second question, how should we tie the clasps on IOW what type of
knot?
OR should I get the crimping beads I see sold? If I go the crimping
bead route is there a special crimping tool for this or will a smooth
jawed needle nose plier work?

Nia:wen kowa many thanx for the help

BTW the girls stringing the beads will be from 3-10 years old so
"professional" looking results are not exactly neccessary tho I think
the clasps will at least let their creations last a while ;-)

I made some necklaces with my daughters a while back using Pony beads
and used the rubbery cord that comes on disposeable earplugs but
simply tied the ends together these didn't last as they kept
stretching them to go over their heads ;-)

Thanx
Old February 4th 04, 05:23 PM
roxan

Make sure the fishing line you are using is suitable for beadwork. FireLine,
Power Pro are ok but monofilament line isn't. I also don't use the screw
clasp, hate them.
Roxan
om...

Old February 4th 04, 06:58 PM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
says...

Kwe Kwe akwekon, Hello all, my wife wants to have the kids at our
daughters Birthday party make Bracelets/Necklaces using Pony Beads, so
far no problem eh, I even got a good deal on some screw together
clasps($2 for a gross), I see now for stringing the beads, Beadalon,
looks a bit pricey to me tho, is there an advantage to beadalon over
using fishing line? I've got spools of 30 lb test mono filament, I
think the Beadalon says a break strength of 12 lbs. I also was
thinking of the high tech fishing lines like Spider Wire as they are
thinner but stronger than monofilament and likely easier to tie.

Cheap barrel clasps will cut thru cheap monofilament fairly quickly -- I've
been asked to repair kids' necklaces made that way which had broken, and it was
obvious (looking at the remains) what had happened. I think fishing lines are
more durable, and a better choice for this than beading wire.

A couple of overhand knots should hold the clasps on fairly well. You'll need
something like an awl or heavy needle to push the knots tightly into the
clasps, and some glue to dab on the knots afterwards if you want to make *sure*
they hold. I think any basic household cement will work for this, but you might
want to pick up some actual jeweler's glue at a crafts store just to be safe.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old February 4th 04, 08:45 PM
Helen Page

Especially with kids, you might want to think about incorporating a "weak
link" (like a lightweight jumpring or something) into the necklaces so that
if it gets caught on something the link will break first and the child won't
get hurt.

Old February 5th 04, 01:54 AM
Otsinekwar

Nia:wen Thanks for the reply. Why is monofilament a nono with Beads?
Too strong so danger of strangulation? Too thick, or too difficult to
tie?

Thanx
Old February 5th 04, 01:59 AM
Otsinekwar

Nia:wen kowa, many Thanks. I was actually thinking of buying some
crimp beads to attach the clasps. These necklaces are unlikely to be
kept forever or long ;-) more of a time passer for the kids at the
party. Then again you never know, another idea my wife had was to have
the kids make necklaces for the teddy bears they will also be making
at the party. Making is a stretch tho, more like stuffing with fluff
and zipping the back up.

What are your thoughts on using the "Super" fishing lines such as
Spiderwire? If I'm not mistaken they are braided kevlar and extremelt
strong. I've a spool or two of that lying about.

Nia:wen kowa Many Thanks

http://www.geocities.com/bearclanmohawk
http://www.cafepress.com/ohkwari
Old February 5th 04, 03:45 AM
Kandice Seeber

I think crimping would be tough for little kids with small hands - Stretch
Magic or Gossamer Floss would be good stretchy cord to use. Also, pearl
cotton or equivelent would be good - and they can just tie knots on the
ends. I would not use monofilament - I don't think that's strong enough. I
am not really very experienced with children, but I would think that this
would be dangerous for 3 year olds - small beads and all can be swallowed.
Maybe age 5 and up? Anyway - good luck - sounds like fun!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 5th 04, 05:59 AM
Christina Peterson

It's great that you ar encouraging the kids to make things. Too often we
just entertain children. It short changes them.

By the way, what is your language?

Tina

m...

Old February 5th 04, 09:07 AM
AmazeR

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 05:59:58 +0000, Christina Peterson wrote:

It's great that you ar encouraging the kids to make things. Too often we
just entertain children. It short changes them.

Not only that!! This is why we have delinquints in society IMHO..

We so often underestimate children and doom them to boredom and
delinquency..

Mavis