Step 1

Old August 17th 04, 10:03 AM
Atom1

Default Step 1

I thought I'd share my transgression.

Step 1: Admitting there's a problem (defeating the denial)

I order lots of fabrics via internet- I have more than enough for the
hereafter.
I currently am on a serious fabric diet. I have squished myself right out
of my sewing room- my DH reminds me of this often. I have started tipping
the post office people to carry the boxes (and keep it quiet)- that I can't
lift to my car because I can no longer have DH do it without threats of
burning my stash, giving it to the gypsies, or burying me in it.

Well I couldn't sleep so I got on the internet, I ran across a fabric
site- look but don't push Enter. I ran across the neatest fabric store but
alas it was not set up for online ordering or fabric viewing, just teasers.
I thought I'd drop the proprietor a friendly note to urge him into the 21st
century and that I alone could probably fund his retirement. I explained
that I loved his site, that I often order at midnight when everyone is
asleep in my pyjamas and listed all the other sites I perused often that had
great models for him. Well.....

A few days before my DH had to use my laptop in a pinch. He had to set up
a newsgroup for his colleagues here and abroad for some project.

About a week laterl I got up at night to use the computer- couldn't sleep.
He came up behind and asked what I was doing- of course I was searching the
fabric sites- just looking, honest (but he didn't have to scare me like
that). That is when he recited my email and told me I sent the kindly
message not only to the fabric site but also posted it to his newsgroup,
where he and everyone he works with read it. How embarassing. I couldn't
deny I'd been buying fabric without outright lying (massaging the truth is
legal). I really didn't know what to say. I was so busted.
I am out of control. My family looks at me like an addict, no matter how
many things I produce the stash isn't going down and I cannot pass up
beautiful fabrics. I did start decorating with the folds I cannot commit to
a project yet. I think they are beautiful just folded and fanned in
different rooms. My DH sees it as a thinly veiled ruse to usurp more space.

Any other transgressors?

Michelle
Italy

Old August 17th 04, 02:56 PM
DaveS

oh --I just found my twin !!
Does having to get the attic FINISHED, top you ???
Linda. c/o Reading PA.

Old August 17th 04, 03:36 PM
lady sylvre

my name is emjay, and i am a fabric junkie....i have filled the sewing room,
invaded the guest room, and begun filling the basement bedroom with bolts.
i, too, smuggle fabric into the house. i hide it under the steps,
upstairsin the bedrooms, and the ups and usps delivery people know me by
name. i sew, on occasion, but recognise that just the having is sometimes
enough. yes, i make trips to the fabric store just to pet it. yes, i buy a
"little bit", just because it is beautiful. yes, i buy it on e-bay,
fabric.com, dharma, etc...but i have a defense. i quilt. i sew renaissance
costumes. i have sewn wedding attire. i have sewn costumes for school.
therefore, it pays to have a "stock". i will retire in less than 10
years--then i will not have the bux to buy.

..my husband just shakes his head, and comments, " it is a disease, isn't
it"...and wanders off.

the bargain we have struck is: he does not invade my fabric, and i do not
inventory his: lumber, power tools, woodworking tools, wrenches, bicycles
(last count, over 10...). he has a progressive, eventually fatal
neurological condition. therefore, he must enjoy what he can, while he can.
and, knowing i will eventually be his caretaker--i stockpile fabric. it is
far healthier than drinking!!!

welcome to the madhouse. we're all mad here. and we collect fabric.
muahahahahahah!

Old August 17th 04, 05:54 PM

Step 1

(Atom1)
=A0=A0=A0=A0I thought I'd share my transgression. snip
Here follows a list of the seven Deadly Stash SIns, posted for all
the sewing world to see and Tsk-Tsk over---Yeah, RIGHT!=A0Like the vast
majority of us don't suffer from the same acquisitiveness and lack of
proper storage space! Except for Penny, who suffers from an acute and
virtually unexplainable case of self-control, and who also gets plenty
of biking exercise, which keeps her out of fabric shops.
=A0=A0Step 1: Admitting there's a problem (defeating the denial)
=A0=A0=A0=A0I order lots of fabrics via internet- I have more than
enough for the hereafter.
=A0=A0=A0=A0I currently am on a serious fabric diet. I have squished
myself right out of my sewing room- my DH reminds me of this
often.snip
I can no longer have DH do it without threats of burning my stash,
giving it to the gypsies, or burying me in it.
Allrightie then! You must find a suitable attack position. Take a
page from the Men's Daily Living Journal, which men learn from age 2:
Never defend, always attack. FInd the opponent's weak spot, then go
in for the kill. What does he hoard/collect/spend great amounts of
family cash on? Use this as the spring-board to mount your offensive.
NEVER let yourself be pushed into a defensive, explanatory posture. To
do so is to lose the war.
And it is a war, baby, it's been named and claimed by generations who
have been in the trenches. It's called The War Between The Sexes. It's
real, and it's a take-no-prisoners enterprise.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Well I couldn't sleep so I got on the internet, I ran
across a fabric site- snip
...teasers. I thought I'd drop the proprietor a friendly note to urge
him into the 21st century and that I alone could probably fund his
retirement. I explained that I loved his site, that I often order at
midnight when everyone is asleep in my pyjamas and listed all the other
sites I perused often that had great models for him. Well.....
=A0=A0=A0=A0A few days before my DH had to use my laptop in a pinch. He
had to set up a newsgroup for his colleagues here and abroad for some
project.
=A0=A0=A0=A0About a week laterl I got up at night to use the computer-
couldn't sleep. He came up behind and asked what I was doing- of course
I was searching the fabric sites- just looking, honest (but he didn't
have to scare me like that). That is when he recited my email and told
me I sent the kindly message not only to the fabric site but also posted
it to his newsgroup, where he and everyone he works with read it. How
embarassing. I couldn't deny I'd been buying fabric without outright
lying (massaging the truth is legal). I really didn't know what to say.
I was so busted.
I see that you have a severe lack of proper defensive perimeters.
Your fabric collecting campaign lacks proper spies to counter-mand his
control issues.
You MUST have clean-up programs in place, as well as early-warning
systems. The early-warning system is obligatory. It can consist of a
closed door, squeaky floor boards, a small yappy dog, or a toddler who
alerts to Daddy, strategically placed to give an early alert. If all
else fails, oil or wax the hallway.
Clean-up programs are self-explanatory: delete, delete, delete.
=A0I am out of control. My family looks at me like an addict, no matter
how many things I produce the stash isn't going down and I cannot pass
up beautiful fabrics. I did start decorating with the folds I cannot
commit to a project yet. I think they are beautiful just folded and
fanned in different rooms. My DH sees it as a thinly veiled ruse to
usurp more space.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Any other transgressors?
=A0=A0=A0=A0Michelle,=A0=A0Italy
Do I hang lengths of fabric over curtain rods in lieu of proper
draperies? Do I display particularly fine textiles smoothed out over the
beds? Do I pack lengths in boxes under said beds? Do I have auxiliary
storage in every closet? Have I been squeezed out of my sewing room by
stash? Do I also have a vintage textile stash, composed of tablecloths,
napkins, fancy aprons, pillowslips, etc.?
SO WHAT? I'm an addict, you're an addict.
I have been known to go without food in order to have more money for
stash. Top that, or you are still just an amateur, a piker, a mere
dabbler in textiles.
Tongue-in-chic reply aside, I do believe I have issues with stash,
so have resisted buying anything for months now, although I use any
flimsy pretext to visit the fabric stores and fondle my way through the
aisles. Look at the way I enthusiastically hied myself to Hancock to get
the facts on the sewing machine ad someone posted about seeing in
Sunday's newspaper. My name is Cea, and I have a problem.
That visit, of course, mandated a trip to Joanne fabrics. The only
thing I bought was a Threads mag, with a 40% off coupon. Few tremors or
other withdrawal symptoms were in evidence, so the weaning program I am
on is working, unless I bust out in a grand slam soon.
As a wanna-be amateur psychologist, with all of the ignorance and
attendant lack of formal education in the subject, I have come to the
conclusion that an obsession with such tactile things indicates a severe
lack in other areas on one's life, and an avoidance of facing such
issues. I do believe there is truth in this.
Well. An issue faced is an issue which can no longer be swept under
the fabric collection.
Yours In Stash,
Cea

Old August 18th 04, 02:47 AM
Maureen Wozniak

But what do you do when you live with a maddeningly perfect person who
spends the family money on other people, but not himself?

Does anyone else have a friend whose DH or SO thinks you are a terrible
influence on said friend because when asked you always give the right
answer--Of course, friend, you must buy that because you need more stash.

Maureen

wrote:
Step 1

(Atom1)
I thought I'd share my transgression. snip
Here follows a list of the seven Deadly Stash SIns, posted for all
the sewing world to see and Tsk-Tsk over---Yeah, RIGHT! Like the vast

Old August 18th 04, 01:00 PM
Ward

I have one of *them* in the house. No real hobbies or interests that cost a
dime except fishing and then he brings home enough fish for a couple of
meals. Makes me crazy. So, I ignore him.

Liz

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
But what do you do when you live with a maddeningly perfect person who
spends the family money on other people, but not himself?

Does anyone else have a friend whose DH or SO thinks you are a terrible
influence on said friend because when asked you always give the right
answer--Of course, friend, you must buy that because you need more stash.

Maureen

wrote:
Step 1

(Atom1)

Old August 20th 04, 05:34 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Are you a 'babe in the woods', Liz?! Do you have any idea what those fish
for a few meals actually cost?! I figure that each salmon that my hubby
brings home has cost about $100 Cdn per ounce!!!!!! Now maybe your DH is
not a fanatic, but has he disclosed the cost of those paltry rods and reels
that he owns? My own other half has quite the collection of different
casting and fly rods with their accompanying reels, lines and leaders. They
may not take up as much space as my stash (most of which is still confinable
within my tiny sewing room!), but their dollar value is far higher. Just
last week I shipped a rod back for repair and he was upset when I didn't
insure it.....the rod (when whole!) is worth $800!
To complete the perspective, I don't even need his fishing prowess - I
"caught" three salmon the other day and one was already filleted and
marinating in teriyaki! A commercial fisherman down the street from me
dropped off the fish to thank me for helping him with a computer problem (2
coho and 1 sockeye for 1/2 hour of 'playing' on his computer!).
Cynthia
"Ward" wrote in message
groups.com...
I have one of *them* in the house. No real hobbies or interests that cost

dime except fishing and then he brings home enough fish for a couple of
meals. Makes me crazy. So, I ignore him.

Liz

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
But what do you do when you live with a maddeningly perfect person who
spends the family money on other people, but not himself?

Does anyone else have a friend whose DH or SO thinks you are a terrible
influence on said friend because when asked you always give the right
answer--Of course, friend, you must buy that because you need more

stash.

Maureen

wrote:
Step 1

(Atom1)

Old August 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Mignon

Michelle, LOL! I must admit to being a "fabric-aholic also. My SO hunts and
fishes and asks me constantly what I am going to do with all of my fabric. I
curtly answer, " the same thing you are going to do with your 12 rods and 27
guns." That usually shuts him up.

ITMT: I constantly scour eBay and all other fabric venues -- online and
locally (and sometimes not so locally) -- for lovely fabrics that I have
every intention of using someday. My thoughts are that when I become infirm,
I'll have every kind, color, and weight of fabric I'll every need;
therefore, I won't have to bother the neighbors about driving me to the
fabric store.

My philosophy is: Be a good, considerate neighbor and buy everything you can
and possibly might need to keep from bothering them.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. I don't know why my children and SO look at
me as though I've taken leave of my senses. At least amongst you guys I feel
as though there's someone who understands me. :)

--
Mignon
United States

Old August 22nd 04, 01:20 PM
Ward

Good point! I'll have to wonder out to the garage and take inventory. I
know he only has a couple of rods, none worth a whole lot, but I do believe
there is a tackle box full of little gems that somehow always get lost in
the fishing processes. I don't think I can get the value up to my stash,
but at least my stash doesn't get dumped at the bottom of the sea.

And, speaking of stashes, for the first time in 30 years I will be off from
work this winter (early "retirement"). I have vowed to spend the time
turning my stash into clothes. I'll let the group know if I can actually
succeed with this not-so-little project.

Liz

Old August 23rd 04, 09:03 AM
Kate Dicey

Ward wrote:

Good point! I'll have to wonder out to the garage and take inventory. I
know he only has a couple of rods, none worth a whole lot, but I do believe
there is a tackle box full of little gems that somehow always get lost in
the fishing processes. I don't think I can get the value up to my stash,
but at least my stash doesn't get dumped at the bottom of the sea.

And, speaking of stashes, for the first time in 30 years I will be off from
work this winter (early "retirement"). I have vowed to spend the time
turning my stash into clothes. I'll let the group know if I can actually
succeed with this not-so-little project.

Liz

Mine appears to be starting a collection of 30+ YO Cannon cameras...
And I bought the last one for him! He's delighted, and I have also cut
the protest legs out from under him very neatly. I do admit that £125
worth of Cannon A1 takes up less space than a free treadle, but that is
as far as I go! ;P
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk