Advice needed

Old November 19th 04, 06:34 PM
Louise

Default Advice needed

I was quilting merrily away last night when I discovered a 1/2 inch tear in
the fabric in one of the blocks on the NASCAR quilt (if you want to look to
see where it is, it's the first picture in my Webshots album and the tear is
in one of the white corner squares in the star block at the bottom of the
quilt -- the end nearest the camera). I'm thinking the easy way out would be
to applique something over it, but I haven't come up with anything
appropriate (I just don't think a heart would work!). The best option is to
try to remove the square and replace it, but it's in the upper right-hand
corner of the block, and the neighboring spaces above and to its right have
already been quilted, so it isn't going to be easy to do. Any suggestions
for a solution to this one?
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old November 19th 04, 06:37 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

What about adding a number? Like there are numbers on the pic blocks?
Acutesy little car wouldn't really fit either. But I think if you added
a number here, and maybe one or two more in other spots, noone would
know any different?

Hanne in London

Old November 19th 04, 06:50 PM
Diana Curtis

Could you find a pre embroidered race car related patch to put over it?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old November 19th 04, 07:17 PM
KJ

Can you cut a little piece of fusible and slip it under the tear with
tweezers? Then fuse it closed? Before I looked at the quilt picture....I
was thinking maybe you could appliqué tire tracks...but I just don't see
that working when I look at the picture. I still love this quilt!!!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old November 19th 04, 07:18 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article U0rnd.53793$V41.31409@attbi_s52,
"Louise" wrote:

I was quilting merrily away last night when I discovered a 1/2 inch tear in
the fabric in one of the blocks on the NASCAR quilt (if you want to look to
see where it is, it's the first picture in my Webshots album and the tear is
in one of the white corner squares in the star block at the bottom of the
quilt -- the end nearest the camera). I'm thinking the easy way out would be
to applique something over it, but I haven't come up with anything
appropriate (I just don't think a heart would work!). The best option is to
try to remove the square and replace it, but it's in the upper right-hand
corner of the block, and the neighboring spaces above and to its right have
already been quilted, so it isn't going to be easy to do. Any suggestions
for a solution to this one?

If you have more of the fabric, you could cut a new square and applique
it over the ripped one.

marcella
Old November 19th 04, 07:39 PM
taria

That is what I would do. I am just finishing a signature
quilt. One last siggy piece showed up in the mail after the
quilt was partially quilted. I appliqued the patch over one
I had left blank and it looks ok.
Sort of a pain but the result is fine.
Taria

Old November 19th 04, 08:18 PM
Joanna

I would find something racy to cover it. Like a mini flag. Or maybe make
your own mini flag. Nascar uses many different colored flags. Very nice
quilt though I love it.
Joanna

Louise wrote:
I was quilting merrily away last night when I discovered a 1/2 inch tear in
the fabric in one of the blocks on the NASCAR quilt (if you want to look to
see where it is, it's the first picture in my Webshots album and the tear is
in one of the white corner squares in the star block at the bottom of the
quilt -- the end nearest the camera). I'm thinking the easy way out would be
to applique something over it, but I haven't come up with anything
appropriate (I just don't think a heart would work!). The best option is to
try to remove the square and replace it, but it's in the upper right-hand
corner of the block, and the neighboring spaces above and to its right have
already been quilted, so it isn't going to be easy to do. Any suggestions
for a solution to this one?

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old November 19th 04, 10:26 PM
Sandy Foster

"Louise" wrote:

I was quilting merrily away last night when I discovered a 1/2 inch tear in
the fabric in one of the blocks on the NASCAR quilt (if you want to look to
see where it is, it's the first picture in my Webshots album and the tear is
in one of the white corner squares in the star block at the bottom of the
quilt -- the end nearest the camera). I'm thinking the easy way out would be
to applique something over it, but I haven't come up with anything
appropriate (I just don't think a heart would work!). The best option is to
try to remove the square and replace it, but it's in the upper right-hand
corner of the block, and the neighboring spaces above and to its right have
already been quilted, so it isn't going to be easy to do. Any suggestions
for a solution to this one?

Louise, I accidentally cut a slit in a block of a quilt I'd been working
on -- my very first "real" quilt! I solved the problem by machine
embroidering my initials over the slit and through all of the layers of
the quilt. It's really impossible to tell that it's a mend, rather than
something that was intended. Would it work for you to use your initials
or those of the person for whom the quilt is intended?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old November 19th 04, 10:29 PM
Debra

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:34:28 GMT, "Louise"
wrote:

I was quilting merrily away last night when I discovered a 1/2 inch tear in
the fabric in one of the blocks on the NASCAR quilt (if you want to look to
see where it is, it's the first picture in my Webshots album and the tear is
in one of the white corner squares in the star block at the bottom of the
quilt -- the end nearest the camera). I'm thinking the easy way out would be
to applique something over it, but I haven't come up with anything
appropriate (I just don't think a heart would work!). The best option is to
try to remove the square and replace it, but it's in the upper right-hand
corner of the block, and the neighboring spaces above and to its right have
already been quilted, so it isn't going to be easy to do. Any suggestions
for a solution to this one?

Checkered flag. You could arrange the other racing flags elsewhere on
the quilt so it would appear planned.
Debra in VA
Old November 20th 04, 01:14 AM
Tracey

How about cutting a checkered flag out of one of the nascar prints and
appliqueing that over the tear?