G'day!

Old June 19th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Default G'day!

Hello everyone! I posted here a few times about five years ago, just as
I was beginning my first quilt. I was slow to get started, I think
because I was scared to cut into expensive fabric without really knowing
what I was doing. I'm sure you remember how it is? ;-D

Anyway, long story short, but I've made a few quilts now and have lately
been gathering speed and motivation. I have to digress here and say what
a huge help YouTube has been to me! Watching all those brilliant people
doing all those brilliant things with fabric and thread has just made my
fingers itch to try too! So, I've recently gathered all the scraps
together from my first two quilts and pieced them into a pretty Log
Cabin baby quilt.

Blue is a popular colour in our house, so most of my scraps were shades
of midnight (DD's favourites) and lighter blues (DS' favourites). I put
the traditional red square in the centres of all my blocks and managed
to make 56 of them. Because it was all scraps, I kept running out of
this or that print and so the blocks aren't all identical, but the
'vibe' is there, y'know? The quilt will be a gift for one of DD's
friends who is going to be a very young (16) Mum and in need of lots of
support.

Well, having finished the baby quilt and found it to be pure bliss
(since it was scraps, I didn't have to suffer Miscutter's Guilt), I
needed something else to be going on with. I've got about four major
quilts planned, but they're all in the future, since I'm still
collecting prints for them. (A chintzy floral for my DMIL; a Celtic
animals appliqué for my DS; a spectacularly RED quilt for my DD and a
horse-flavoured quilt for my DSister - oh, and an owl-flavoured one for
myself). I've got long-standing collections for all these, but I landed
on a neat little project just for skill-building.

I've found one of my ancient binders from 'way back and have decided to
make a pretty quilted cover for it. When it's done, it will be my
Quilting Information Journal where I'll keep all my useful info and
records of fabrics, blocks etc. I don't know the name of the block I'm
making, but it's sort of squares in squares with two flying geese
sticking out at each corner. The prints are all strawberry-themed, so
colours of red, green, cream and a little bit of blue. They're left over
from the humungo-gigantic 3yd x 3yd quilt top I made a couple of years
ago. Sadly, it's so big, I've been far too reluctant to quilt it. But
soon... very soon! I have to say, my patchworking skills are heaps
better than my quilting so far. More practice is needed!

Anyway, that's where I'm up to in my quilting journey. I'd love to hear
the stories of other people's quilts and would especially like to know
if the group has a photos page so I can look and learn?

I have two questions to be going on with:

1. Got any good designs for using up Fat Quarters???

2. If I were to make a scrappy quilt with ¼" black bias tape 'sashing'
(sort of like stained glass, only a bit different), would the world end
if I used polycotton for the bias tape? I've got a whole bolt of the
stuff and would much rather use it than have to purchase 100% cotton for
$$$$. (Please give me permission! Please do! But only if Evil and
Destruction won't result from the usage of polycotton...)

Sorry for the huge first post, but I'm really keen and so pleased to
have found some other folk to talk quilts with. My best friend (who
*would* be my quilting buddy, only he lives miles away) used to post
here and suggested I introduce myself. I'm looking forward to 'meeting'
you all and hearing about your current projects!

Cheers! ;-D
--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 19th 11, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Welcome Trish!!

I see you've made the natural transition to quilting from cross stitch
much as I have. Still hope to see you on the 123 board though!

Claudia
Old June 19th 11, 08:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hi Trish and welcome to the group!
Barbara in SC

Old June 19th 11, 08:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Welcome Trish. What an exciting 'journey' you have been on!
There isn't an actual site for the group's photos, but there is a site
where the individual sites - Flickr, Webshots and the like - are listed.
Only thing is: I can't remember it. Sorry. But someone will know what
it is.

I have only got a few minutes at the moment; but I'll come back later
and tell you about the things I am doing at the moment.

Help anyone?
..
In message om, Trish
Brown writes

Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old June 19th 11, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Welcome Trish! I was just about to ask if you had photos up anywhere
when YOU asked where to put them! Most of us use Webshots or Flicker
or some other free photo site. Or even Facebook, although I don't
belong so can't tell you about it. Anyhow, we'd all love to see what
you're doing. Somewhere (can't find the link! Help!) is a website
kindly organized by one of us with links to everybody's photos.

I do feel your pain about cutting into a piece of something expensive
and gorgeous. It helps me a lot to just throw ALL new fabric into the
wash. Pressing and sorting the clean pieces helps us get acquainted.
Then it's somehow less traumatic to cut off a bit.

Oh boy, polyester in a cotton quilt! Of course, there are no quilt
police and you may certainly do whatever you like. You just need to be
aware that poly and cotton do not wear at the same rate and will
develop a very divergent "patina". IOW, it will eventually be VERY
obvious, unless you never wash the piece or expose it to light.

Love your idea of a decorated binder/journal!
Roberta in D

Old June 20th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Jun 19, 3:42*pm, Trish Brown wrote:
[...]

Welcome Trish from Bronwyn (Bronnie) Burleigh Heads! You'll find
this group full of love and support for all things quilty and
otherwise.
Ask lots of questions and continue with your informative posts and you
will have fun with everyone.

Cheers
Bronnie
Old June 20th 11, 08:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

As promised, I'm back! It was most interesting to hear of all you have
been doing. How great that you have become captured by this wonderful
craft.
Just a quick outline of my current work:

I have been working on a Dear Jane for years! It's my when I get a week
or so clear, I'll do a bit quilt. I am not doing it like the original
Jane Stickle quilt, mine is a sort of Trip Around the World design. I
am on the last but one 'round'. I have been making the drawings from
Brenda Papadakis' book and making notes of instructions to myself how to
make the blocks. It will now be put away again, until I get the next
batch of time to start the sewing.
I have also been working on drawings for an altar frontal I have
promised to make for my church. I will have some hand-sewing help
during the autumn and winter, so I want to have it all prepared - lots
of appliqué, so lots of drawing. Ready to do some enlarging at the
printers now.
Then, before I start anything else - and before anything else is even
completed - I am going to do the drawings for my most ambitious series
of quilts yet - a Cathedral cosmati floor (Bristol). I have had the
photographs taken for years: now to the next stage - the detailed
drawings. I will be occupied all summer and will enjoy every second!!
I have just finished my involvement in our group quilt - Just the
binding to do when it has been quilted is my last job on it.

I wish dust didn't happen, and weeds didn't grow in warmth and rain
..

In message om, Trish
Brown writes

Old June 20th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

Yay for you!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old June 20th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 19/06/2011 06:42, Trish Brown wrote:
Hello everyone! I posted here a few times about five years ago, just as
I was beginning my first quilt. I was slow to get started, I think
because I was scared to cut into expensive fabric without really knowing
what I was doing. I'm sure you remember how it is? ;-D

Hi Trish,

Good to see you again and to read about your quilting progress. Was it
you that used to post stories about your "ugly sister" ?

As to photos, I like to put mine up on flickr http://www.flickr.com/ and
I know others use webshots and also picasa . Wherever you put them we
want to see what you have been making.

Happy quilting

Lizzy
Old June 20th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

Hi Trish. We 'met on the net' through cross stitching many years ago.

I have also been quilting for a while now. In fact, tonight I picked up a
cross stitch project for the first time in many years. It felt rather
strange. :-)

Can't help with the scrap quilt ideas, but just wanted to say hello from a
fellow Aussie and welcome you to the world of quilting.

Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

eb.com...