bandsaw

Old July 10th 04, 02:34 AM
Jim

Default bandsaw

Is the 9" Delta band saw any good for cutting out blanks up to 4"? I see it
at lowes for $87.00

Old July 10th 04, 06:26 AM
George G

Old July 10th 04, 12:37 PM
George

If they're green, probably not. If dry and not too intricate, where great
accuracy is required, might do.

Minimum I'd suggest would be the JET or Delta 12".

Old July 10th 04, 03:36 PM
M. lane

"Jim" wrote in message
Is the 9" Delta band saw any good for cutting out blanks up to 4"? I see

it
at lowes for $87.00

I made the mistake of purchasing the 9" Ryobi band saw because it fit
perfectly on top of my workbench, end of happy story. It won't cut a
straight line because there are no guide wheels to hold the blade still like
on a "real" band saw and the blades (seem to be) half as thick as a "real"
bandsaw blade. Now, if you're purpose for purchasing the 9" bandsaw is to
make kindling wood for the fireplace, you may be satisfied.

Old July 15th 04, 08:56 PM
Frank

"Jim" wrote in message news:jIHHc.44132$Lh.4378@okepread01...
Is the 9" Delta band saw any good for cutting out blanks up to 4"? I see it
at lowes for $87.00

Hey Jim, that saw will theoretically cut up to 3 3/4 in" thick stock,
however the motor is woefully underpowered to do anything like that.
It has a 1/3 hp motor, which will probably be fine for 1-2" stock of
soft wood or softer hardwood (like basswood). If cost is a huge factor
for you, get into a wood working club in your area, most people with
significant size shops have one and unless they are furniture makers
or carvers they use it for a coat rack, so you may be able to pick up
a good 2nd hand saw for $200-$300. for 4 inch stock atleast 3/4 hp,
the bigger the better with bandsaw horse power though. Also "real"
size bandsaws have a good variety of specialty accesories that you
won't be able to use on a benchtop model. If size is your only
criteria look into the Inca benchtop model new or used, it's a gem,
but is expensive. 3/4 hp with real blade guides and cast aluminum
frame a decent size cast table. it's what I use. the only problem with
it is expense of imported parts (tires,blades,guides etc) hope I was
a help
-Frank

Old July 16th 04, 02:54 AM
George G

Jim - You'll be happier with it - George