Celtic conquered

Old June 28th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Celtic conquered

I did it! Wanted to play with Celtic for years; finally just put the brakes
on my other projects and cautiously proceeded.
Celtic Quilts by Beth Ann Williams was my guide. I figured out fast
that drawing the inside and outside guide lines for the bias tape placement
was a time-killer. Realized that I could mark only the center lines with a
pencil and cover it as I went along.
Results? Ambivalent. The quilt is good looking and the challenge was
fun. Ever do it again? Probably not. There's a crazy looking rooster with
polka-dotted wings calling me. Polly

Old June 28th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

One more thing to be marked off your "want to try" list! Celtic is
beautiful, no doubt about it, but the rooster with polka-dotted wings
sounds more like something I'd expect from you!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old June 28th 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 28/06/2011 10:25 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
I did it! Wanted to play with Celtic for years; finally just put the
brakes on my other projects and cautiously proceeded.
Celtic Quilts by Beth Ann Williams was my guide. I figured out fast that
drawing the inside and outside guide lines for the bias tape placement
was a time-killer. Realized that I could mark only the center lines with
a pencil and cover it as I went along.
Results? Ambivalent. The quilt is good looking and the challenge was
fun. Ever do it again? Probably not. There's a crazy looking rooster
with polka-dotted wings calling me. Polly

I love the look of traditional celtic quilts but will probably never do
one because of all the handwork involved. But...I'm involved in a group
challenge which involves doing something celtic. It's still in the
design stages but I'm heading towards Plan B: a pieced celtic design.
Nobody said don't bend the rules! LOL

Your rooster sounds like fun! Allison
Old June 28th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

"I did it!" My favorite words to read here on rctq.
Dancing in the moonlight for ya, Polly!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old June 29th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I poured little puddles of white glue on a paper plate and applied it to the
line to be followed with toothpicks. There's probably a neat little fine
point sort of glue that would be faster/easier. My glue sticks were too
much a blunt weapon and the opening of my liquid glues glue/gummy themselves
pretty quickly. I think if I were going to go with Celtic in a big way I
would find a better glue tool for basting. Yeah. Right. I do know how to
baste with a needle and thread but my Home Ec teacher wasn't here to yell at
me. Polly

Old June 29th 11, 09:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Polly Esther wrote:
I poured little puddles of white glue on a paper plate and applied it to
the line to be followed with toothpicks. There's probably a neat little
fine point sort of glue that would be faster/easier. My glue sticks were
too much a blunt weapon and the opening of my liquid glues glue/gummy
themselves pretty quickly. I think if I were going to go with Celtic in
a big way I would find a better glue tool for basting. Yeah. Right. I do
know how to baste with a needle and thread but my Home Ec teacher wasn't
here to yell at me. Polly

Somewhere on YouTube, I saw an arrangement where you insert the 'nib'
holder from a mechanical pencil into the nozzle of Elmer's School Glue.
This makes a tiny, tiny bead of glue and, apparently, Elmer's is
completely washable and OK for quilting, appliqué etc.

HTH

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old July 1st 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!
You did it, and now it's done.
No need to repeat what didn't absolutely delight you.

Reminds me of my husband's first bowling outing; my mom was a league
bowler for years, was pretty good; we all went bowling (during my
first yr of marriage) at Mom's insistence. Gene bowled some great game
his first time ever, beat the heck out of everyone else. Mom wanted
a re-match but Gene said, "Nah, no need. Bowling? Done that.
What's next?" G

Do what you like, like what you do.

Cheers!
Sandy

On 6/28/11 9:25 AM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

I did it! Wanted to play with Celtic for years; finally just put the brakes
on my other projects and cautiously proceeded.
Celtic Quilts by Beth Ann Williams was my guide. I figured out fast
that drawing the inside and outside guide lines for the bias tape placement
was a time-killer. Realized that I could mark only the center lines with a
pencil and cover it as I went along.
Results? Ambivalent. The quilt is good looking and the challenge was
fun. Ever do it again? Probably not. There's a crazy looking rooster with
polka-dotted wings calling me. Polly

Celtic Block #16 the black rose Quilting 9 May 29th 05 07:27 PM
Celtic Block #15 the black rose Quilting 6 May 29th 05 04:33 PM
Celtic Designs Maureen In Vancouver, B.C. Needlework 0 May 13th 05 07:08 PM
Celtic designs Pat Iverson Quilting 3 March 19th 04 06:36 PM
Celtic Interlacing Paul & Suzie Beckwith Quilting 3 November 4th 03 12:08 AM