Table Runner Block Size?

Old May 27th 11, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Default Table Runner Block Size?

I am making some table runners for a benefit. My general plan is to
have five blocks, on point with some side triangles. I recently made
a runner with 7 inch blocks, it seemed thin (or maybe narrow is a
better term) to me.
What is a good size for those blocks?
Mary
Old May 27th 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

9" finished side on point becomes nearly 12.72" thru the diagonal.
5 blocks long would make it 63.6 inches. sound about right for what you had
in mind?
i've seen lots of 12" wide table runners so that ought to work visually.
i'd think the 9" would work well.
easily divisible with 3" units inside that 9" say with 9 patch blocks or
similar.

how i worked that out....
A squared + B squared = C squared.
A and B are the 9" finished sides of the block.
C is the diagonal (on point measurement) thru the middle of the block.
9 x 9= A squared (81) + 9 x 9= B squared (81) = 162 =C squared.
the sq root of 162 = 12.72. (diagonal distance thru centre of 9" block)

hope that makes sense. bit early for me and only on first cuppa tea so i
could be way off somewhere on those numbers. i'm sure someone will correct
me if need be tho.
i used the calculator on the computer.
a few clicks and its all done for me.
i'm lazy that way.
j.

"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote ...

Old May 27th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

a 12" side block becomes 16.97 point to point.
5 blocks long becomes 84.85 end to end.
4 blocks long becomes 67.76 end to end.
3 blocks long becomes 50.91 end to end.
thot i'd add that in case it had any bearing on what ya fancy.
j.

"J*" wrote ...

Old May 27th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

I've done two runners with 12" blocks which seem just fine for us.
hth

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old May 28th 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good golly. Jeanne's square rooting tickles me. Haven't done that in quite
a while. Besides the math, some of the answer would depend on the dynamics
of the block. Is it timid and needs a bold frame? Is it dazzling and
adding much to the presentation would be over kill? I'd recommend clearing
the dining room table of QIs, incoming mail etc and audition. Here I go
again. It depends. Polly

Old May 28th 11, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Thanks for the calculations and suggestions. I'll let you know when a
picture is posted.

Mary
Old May 28th 11, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

May have to print that off and store it in my J* file.

Lots of interestimg stuff there

Dee in Oz

Old June 23rd 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Mary in Rock Island IL wrote:

I am making some table runners for a benefit. My general plan is to
have five blocks, on point with some side triangles. I recently made
a runner with 7 inch blocks, it seemed thin (or maybe narrow is a
better term) to me.
What is a good size for those blocks?
Mary

I am now done with this project, having made two holiday themed table
runners--Christmas and Fourth of July/Memorial Day. The results are
he www.flickr.com/photos/illini81

Thanks for the assist!

Mary
Old June 23rd 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

Well done! I especially like how that 4th of July runner sparkles. I
really want more table runners but just never seem to get a round tuit.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old June 23rd 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Lovely -I really like the posies! And the July 4th one is wonderful.
Roberta in D