Gift Idea ..HELP!

Old November 23rd 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Gift Idea ..HELP!

Hi Ladies,

I know you wont fail me. I forgot that my closest co-worker turns 50 on
December 10th. I have been racking my brain to think of what I can make her
for the BIG event. Some sort of useful, yet funny gift would be great to
make. Either an "over the Hill"...(no offence to anyone in advance) voodoo
doll, or maybe a handmade purse/bag filled with items like geritol??

Anyone have any ideas of something you might have made or received for a
special birthday that you can pass on as an idea?

Please and thank you...............
--
Christina Doucette
http://community.webshots.com/user/christinark

Old November 23rd 05, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Christina Doucette" wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I know you wont fail me. I forgot that my closest co-worker turns 50 on
December 10th. I have been racking my brain to think of what I can make her
for the BIG event. Some sort of useful, yet funny gift would be great to
make. Either an "over the Hill"...(no offence to anyone in advance) voodoo
doll, or maybe a handmade purse/bag filled with items like geritol??

Anyone have any ideas of something you might have made or received for a
special birthday that you can pass on as an idea?

Please and thank you...............

For my 40th my girlfriend made me a bra purse. We laughed so hard our
boys came up to see what was going on and they took one look and ran out
of the room!

She bought a GIANT bra. Ok, giant is relative as I am an A cup ;-) But
it was darn big. You have to be able to remove the underwire. She
covered the cups with a crazy patch type piecing and then folded it in
half so the cups formed a purse. She inserted fringe into the bottom
and hot glued that all shut. The bra straps become the handles.

It was too funny. You could certainly put a bottle of geritol or the
like in it and wrap it up.

I'm saving mine to give to my sister on her 50th in a couple of years.
She will get a kick out of it too.

marcella
Old November 23rd 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

*IF* she has a good sense of humor there are all kinds of things for us
Old Ladies... Oil of Olay (fondly referred to as Oil of Old Lady),
estrogen supplements, support hose, age spot creams, a red hat and
purple leggings or other outrageous purple item and the poem about When
I am an Old Lady I shall Wear Purple (don't know the exact title of
it), a whoopie cushion and tablets for flatulence, an inexpensive cane
all decorated with ribbons and flowers, a fan labeled for hot flashes,
a coffee mug with some clever saying about over the hill.... there's
all kinds of stuff! Most party supply stores carry lots of gag stuff
and decorations with over the hill, etc. on them.

That said, I don't like birthdays. Don't care if you know how old I am
or when it is, just let it pass quietly and ignore it, please. I would
have been upset if anyone had made a fuss about my 50th... or any other
one. Just a little something to think about. We all have different
feelings about birthdays and especially the landmark ones.... and I
know I'm weird on that subject and I don't discuss that, either.
:-P~~~~~

Leslie (55) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 23rd 05, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

For someone who wouldnt have liked anyone to make a fuss....you sure have
some great ideas, Leslie. THANKS! I especially love the idea of the
decorated cane.!! Laurie has a very good sense of humour...we always joke
about how long she will have to work until she can retire with a full
pension (since she started at 40 working at this place ans it take 35
years). "We need to make provisions for a wheelchair....", "Does the
Para-transport van deliver this far?" She thinks alot of them up too.

My mother turns 50 in April. Now, she is someone that I would have to be
delicate with on that day. Mind you, I am still signing her up for the
"seniors" coupon program at one of our local stores which is for 50+. She
wont get away with me NOT rubbing it in at all. LOL

--
Christina Doucette
http://community.webshots.com/user/christinark

ups.com...

Old December 5th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Christina Doucette wrote:

My mother turns 50 in April. Now, she is someone that I would have to be
delicate with on that day. Mind you, I am still signing her up for the
"seniors" coupon program at one of our local stores which is for 50+. She
wont get away with me NOT rubbing it in at all. LOL

--
Christina Doucette
http://community.webshots.com/user/christinark

Hi Christina
I just turned 50 in March and I found it had a different meaning than
any other birthday. As my birthday was approaching I found myself
wanting to reconnect with old friends, probably because they were
turning 50 too. I, like you, was looking for gifts for these friends
that had some special meaning. I don't feel old even though my
eyesight isn't what it was when I was 20. I found a lot of stores on
the Internet selling joke gifts, and ones that focused on the
inevitable changes that come with time, but I was looking for gifts
that said, "You are special".
Along with my husband and some good friends I have opened an online
gift store dedicated exclusively to selling 50th birthday gifts. The
store, www.50wishes.com, is a collection of gifts that were chosen to
help celebrate this very special birthday. Some of the items will
bring back memories from our youth, some suggest celebration or
relaxation, and some are just for fun. Each gift comes with a story
that we wrote to reinforce the connection to turning 50.
Anyways...this wasn't meant to be a sales pitch. I just wanted to
say that turning 50 has been a turning point in my life and a very
positive one.
Karen
http://www.50wishes.com