I need to knit faster!

Old August 17th 03, 09:13 PM
Allaya Diep

Default I need to knit faster!

I've been a busy girl lately. I've been trying to ready my house for my
first child, and foolishly decided to take on other projects in addition to
that (that doesn't include the bizarre quilting deadline i've imposed on
myself)!

So then I foolishly decided to pick up the Fall issue of Interweave Knits at
the store. Oh dear...clearly, I need to learn how to knit faster.

I made the switch to Addi Turbos several months back, and admittedly, they
do help. I also knit continentally. However, I really need to pick up the
speed. So much to knit, so little time!

What are your tricks for knitting faster?

Allaya

Old August 17th 03, 10:43 PM
Aud

You really have a point there! ;-)) AUD

--

"Claire" skrev i melding
Bizarrely, I've noticed that I got much faster when I changed armchairs!

My
usual chair was fine normally and very comfortable but with my growing

bump
has become rather cramped (it's deep with high padded arms) and I was
finding feeding my toddler her bottle was squishing us both together very
uncomfortably. So I migrated to my partner's chair which is much wider in
the seat (as am I!) and has out-ward curving padded arms - lots more elbow
room. My daughter could curl up along side me instead of half across the
bump. Then I just stayed put and did my knitting and have noticed how much
more I'm getting done in the same (enforced) 'rest time'. Check you have
enough room for the bump *and* your needles and elbows!

Claire
How do the Addi Turbos help? I've heard of them but couldn't see how they
could really make you faster?

Old August 18th 03, 03:35 AM
G.Kelly

Allaya, I do think that different yarns make a difference - some do not seem
to slip as easily as others. I am afraid I have no "tricks" ( wish I did)
but haveing a good position with room does help. I find I knit faster if
I do not put my whole attention on to the knitting ( rathere like slowing
down if you look at the keyboard keys rather than touch type.

This is why I knit while watching Tv - besides being bored if I just waste
time watching and doing nothing, and while driving is good as one can look
at the scenery. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
Hmmm...good point. I don't really have a designated knitting place...I
generally knit on the go...in the car on long trips, in the local

Starbucks
while sipping tea...sometimes I knit in bed. I'll have to take a look at
where I knit and think about how that affects my speed!

Honestly, I have no idea why Addi Turbo's help, and at first, I was a
skeptic as well. But I'll have to tell you that when I first started
knitting with them, I noticed that I did knit faster. I think it has to

do
with the finish on the needles or something, but the stitches just slide

off
pretty effortlessly, whereas with wood, bamboo, or even other metal

needles,
I spent a lot of time pushing my stitches to the top. I knit with mostly
wool, so it may be different if you knit with different fibers *shrug*.

Allaya

Old August 18th 03, 03:48 AM
Katherine Burgess

"Allaya Diep" wrote ...
[...]

You know, I may have to break down next time I am in Halifax and get me a
couple of Addis. Sigh!
Katherine