Good "learning to knit" book?

Old December 3rd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

Default Good "learning to knit" book?

My niece has expressed an interest in learning to knit so for Christmas I
thought I would gift her with a book and some good yarn and needles for a
specific project (a scarf?) and, of course, a coupon for unlimited knitting
lessons. I was looking at books on the internet and plan to go peruse them
at the bookstores, but was wondering if anyone has seen the book "Ynotknit"
by Jill and Susan Wolcott. It says it teaches the continental method of
knitting, which is how I knit. I think it is easier on the hands than the
"throwing" method. I used to "throw" but I developed arthritis in my right
index finger. I even have to reverse the buttons on my computer mouse
because of the arthritis! It sounds like it would be a good beginner's book
and I hope I can look at one at a bookstore, but I wanted to see if any of
you has an opinion on this book or any other that would be suitable. I was
also considering "Stitch-n-Bitch" because I think it might appeal to my
niece as she is in her mid-20's.

Thanks,
BonnieBlue

Old December 3rd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 20:51:48 -0600, "BonnieBlue"
wrote:

also considering "Stitch-n-Bitch" because I think it might appeal to my
niece as she is in her mid-20's.

mid-20s might be past the "cute and trendy" thing, or her personality
may lean toward the classics instead of nasty eyelash scarves and
such.

I would recommend Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting without Tears" and
Maggie Righetti's "Knitting in Plain English" as good beginner books.
Elizabeth is a picker, Maggie swings both ways, and both books present
basic knitting skills (cast on, knit purl, inc, dec, cast off) as well
as some advanced topics. Add Elizabeth's "Knitting Workshop" and
"Knitters Almanac" and your niece will be set up.

Jm2c.
Old December 3rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jackie

I know many people swear by Elizabeth Zimmerman, but personally I think
her books would not be the best for a beginner -- I find them very
frustrating, as the instructions are mixed in with philosophy and
anecdotes. I have read a lot of knitting books, and I have checked out
various Elizabeth Zimmerman books from the library many times and find
them very difficult to read! I don't deny that she had many great
ideas -- I just wouldn't give her books to a beginner.

Old December 3rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Jackie wrote:
I know many people swear by Elizabeth Zimmerman, but personally I think
her books would not be the best for a beginner -- I find them very
frustrating, as the instructions are mixed in with philosophy and
anecdotes. I have read a lot of knitting books, and I have checked out
various Elizabeth Zimmerman books from the library many times and find
them very difficult to read! I don't deny that she had many great
ideas -- I just wouldn't give her books to a beginner.

That was my thought too. I've been knitting for years and find them a
little tedious. Most beginners want, and need really, patterns which
begin, CO x sts, and are very detailed on each row as to what you're
supposed to do. Sally Melville's the Knit stitch might be good, or any
basic book with step by step instructions.

sue
Old December 3rd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

Yarn-wise, I was thinking of a soft, natural fiber yarn that is not too
expensive. The eyelash stuff never caught on with me. Besides, her parents
live on a ranch south of Rocksprings, Texas, and raise angora goats for
their mohair, and her father manages the wool house in town. If I gave her
a manmade fiber her father would probably burn it!

BonnieBlue

Old December 3rd 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 11:12:56 -0700, suzee wrote:

Jackie wrote:
That was my thought too. I've been knitting for years and find them a
little tedious.

Elizabeth isn't for everybody. This has been proven time and again.
She's an intuitive knitter's knitter. However, her information is
solid and well-presented, and for the sort of person who doesn't
require spoon-feeding she's an excellent teacher.

Most beginners want, and need really, patterns which
begin, CO x sts, and are very detailed on each row as to what you're
supposed to do.

Absolutely not true, and that's all I'll say about it lest I get
soapboxy and unintentionally insulting.
Old December 3rd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Sheena

Two things about yarn. One thing to consider is how much effort does this
person want to put into taking care of and washing an item. I personally
like things that I can just throw into the washer and dryer, thus natural
fibers are a rare thing with me. Another thing to consider is that since
the person is new and beginner, the best yarn to use should be something
that can be easily seen. Something that is light in color and not too
"furry". It is very frustrating when you cannot distinguish your stitches
from one another.

Old December 3rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jennym

Hello!

also considering "Stitch-n-Bitch" because I think it might appeal to my
niece as she is in her mid-20's.

I started knitting again a few months ago and bought "Stich-n-bitch"
to help me along my way and really like it, especially the quite funky
patterns (to my eyes, but I'm a 26 y.o. biologist so I might not be the
epitome of cool). What also really, really helped was joining a
knitting group of youngish ladies who meet at my local pub. Nothing
like people on hand to teach you things and show you what they're doing
to keep enthusiasm going. Maybe you could search out one near her?
(http://www.stitchnbitch.org/snb_groups.htm) Oh, and wool that's not
too thin otherwise it feels like you're not getting anywhere. I started
on DK, but was much happier when I moved up to chunky/aran.

Good luck!

Jenny

Old December 4th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:17:04 -0600, "BonnieBlue"
wrote:

Yarn-wise, I was thinking of a soft, natural fiber yarn that is not too
expensive. The eyelash stuff never caught on with me. Besides, her parents
live on a ranch south of Rocksprings, Texas, and raise angora goats for
their mohair, and her father manages the wool house in town. If I gave her
a manmade fiber her father would probably burn it!

There's plenty of good-quality wool yarn out there and a lot of it is
reasonably priced. Cascade220, EllaRae, Brown Sheep to name a few.

Which wool warehouse does your brother/brother-in-law run? I've been
trying to find bulk mohair that isn't two days' drive (there, back)
for a while, most of the wool warehouses in Central Texas have folded

Old December 4th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

It is Priour-Varga Wool & Mohair, Inc., 300 Main Street, Rocksprings, TX
78880. Phone is (830) 683-3194. My brother-in-law's name is Steve Haynes.

At one time there were two wool houses there (competing) but Priour-Varga
bought out the other one and then sometime later it burned. It really set
them back.

Favorite Beading Books cathyesq Beads 4 April 5th 06 10:49 PM
Ot - :o( Requesting good thoughts, please. MRH Yarn 14 February 1st 06 03:37 PM
BOOK REVIEW: Beginner's Guide to Beadwork starlia Beads 0 October 24th 04 04:08 AM
RFI - good book for Celtic applique? small change Quilting 1 October 17th 04 02:14 AM
Newbie to Polymer Clay - recommend a good book? Christi Conley Polymer Clay 5 November 28th 03 07:23 AM