?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"?

Old March 12th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default ?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"?

Thanks! From now on everything gets bobbles and cable crosses whether it
needs it or not; just so people will know it is HAND knit with needles in
hand by the latest of the ladies.

Aaron

"Wooly" wrote in message
At the industrial level, who knows. Anything is possible, but that
doesn't mean it will be cost-efficient.

The toes and heels on cheap white athletic socks are sewn to shape,
not knitted that way - its because the high-speed knitting machines
that know how to make a short row heel (computer driven) have "issues"
that make it cheaper and easier for the Chinese sock factories to
employ cheap labor to do the toe and heel shapings by hand.

High-dollar flatbed knitting machines for home use are capable of
producing intarsia and fair isle with the proper attachments, but
there's still an awful lot of handwork involved to ensure the color
changes happen correctly and the tension remains consistent throughout
the work. To the best of my knowledge there's no attachment anywhere
that'll let a machine do cable crosses and bobbles and heavy texture
without human intervention. Of course, I've been wrong before and I
could be wrong now.

The average consumer neither knows nor cares if there is a difference
between "hand finished" which describes most commercially-produced
sweaters and "hand knit" which describes the things we knit by hand.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:53:36 GMT, spewed forth :

So, with the proper attachments and skills, any stitch or pattern can be
knit on a machine?

Aaron

"Wooly" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:53:32 GMT, spewed forth :

I am seeing items made on knitting frames, i.e., manual knitting

machines,
labeled as "hand knit". Is this legal, or fair and proper?

And, are there stitches, designs, or patterns that can not be "machine

knit"
and thus demonstrate to knowledgably people that the object was knit

with
needle in hand?

Aaron

Unless the knitting machine works under its own power, can effect the
color changes, increases, decreases, cable crosses, bobbles, purls,
etc all by its onesome it is indeed hand knit.

I bill my machine-knit socks as hand-cranked. The machine speeds
along the knitting process, but it doesn't know how to turn a heel or
toe.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

+++++++++++++

Old March 13th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Same here somebody sold me one of those ESM , i only make some plain
knitting and than use them as basis to go on ,
mirjam ps don`t even make yardage once the weight comes to the floor
, rolling it on itself never produces nice results ...
mirjam

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:47:20 -0600, " YarnWright"
spewed forth :

YO's,
PSSO's
well, actually you CAN do them on a knitting machine or knitting frame,
come to think of it!
But, you CANT do garter stitch, it's stockinette only, LOL!
Noreen

Oh, you can produce garter stitch on a knitting machine. Its a real
PITA though. Its the hand-manipulation that puts me off of doing
anything but stockinette yardage on the flatbed knitter or stripes on
the CSM.

+++++++++++++

Old March 13th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:03:37 GMT, wrote:

Thanks! From now on everything gets bobbles and cable crosses whether it
needs it or not; just so people will know it is HAND knit with needles in
hand by the latest of the ladies.

Aaron

Sorry to burst your bubble, you can easily do lace, bobbles, and cable
crosses on a knitting machine. They require hand manipulation and
even have special tools to help you cross cables. There's also a
technique developed by one woman called "Magic Cables" (see
www.magiccables.com) in which you set your machine to knit a tuck
pattern, and you lift stitches up to form mock cables. With a ribber
attachment, available for higher end machines, you can very easily
create things like moss and seed stitch.

It's been debated in various places on the net about calling it "hand
knit". Some are going PC and calling it "frame knit" versus "needle
knit", as the frame holds the stitches, very similar to but not
exactly like knitting needles do. But, unless you have an electronic
knitting machine with a motor of some sort and a lot of preprogrammed
patterns without shaping, you are creating every stitch using your
hands, and the "transfer tools" that you use to make bobbles and
cables are just a variation of a hand needle type cable needle, and
you still need to create any bobbles and cables and garment shaping by
hand. If doing any color work, unless you have an expensive
electronic and program the pattern in, you are selecting all the
needles taking fair isle and manipulating multiple colors for intarsia
by hand.

The tradeoff for needle versus frame knitting is that needle knitting
can be carried practically anywhere, while a frame/machine is not
portable while you've got a project on the needles but does all the
plain stitches faster.

I have a knitting machine, which I use about as much as I do all my
needles. However, if I want something done in the round, most KM's
don't handle that, and if I want portable, that means needles. Are
both enjoyable? To me, yes. Do I consider my machine "cheating"?
No.

If you call maching knitting cheating to a machine knitter, hardcore
machine knitters (not me) will likely say you're cheating to drive a
car anywhere rather than walking with your own God-given 2 feet,
cheating to buy your food in a grocery store rather than growing it
yourself, etc. It's only a different type of tool than needles, and
it's been around for 400 years, which I think may be longer than
circular needles have been around, so a hardcore knitter of either
variety might call circular needles "cheating" ;-).

Leah
Old March 13th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Leah" wrote in message
[...]

Beautifully expressed, Leah!

Noreen

Old March 13th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:34:03 -0700, Leah
spewed forth :

Sorry to burst your bubble, you can easily do lace, bobbles, and cable
crosses on a knitting machine. They require hand manipulation

Right - doing anything but plain old stockinette on a home flatbed
machine requires hand manipulation, for the most part. I think that's
what we've been saying all along...

+++++++++++++

Old March 13th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Is *manual* knitting machine knitting, (even doing the cables etc. by hand)
MUCH faster than hand knitting? I.e., Do we hand needle knit because we can
do things that machines can not do? Or, because we enjoy the touch and feel
of hand needle knitting? Or, because we do not have a knitting machine? Or,
because we need something to do with our hands while waiting, and a knitting
frame will not fit in our pocket?

Or, because like me, we do not know about knitting machines?

Or, is it net, net; that manual machine knitting of complex knitting is not
enormously faster because of the all hand work? And thus, for a reasonably
good knitter producing nice consistent stitches, there is simply not that
much advantage to investing in, and supporting a knitting machine?

Aaron

Old March 13th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:03:37 GMT, wrote:

Thanks! From now on everything gets bobbles and cable crosses whether it
needs it or not; just so people will know it is HAND knit with needles in
hand by the latest of the ladies.

Or you could just crochet instead. ;-)

--
Kristen
Old March 13th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Lucky you ,,,, thin skinny sleeves are neat
mirjam
e:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:25:47 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) spewed forth :

Aha sock machine ???? drooling some moments , can it make sleeves ?
mirjam

Of course! It doesn't like yarn much bigger than a 2/12s though!

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Machine Knitting Patterns!! mkdesigner Marketplace 0 December 19th 05 05:00 PM
FAQ for RCTQ frood Quilting 9 April 5th 05 07:50 PM
Machine Knitting Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 October 26th 04 03:09 PM
AD: New eBay Listings for MACHINE KNITTING Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:58 PM
FAQ RCTQ for newbies and oldtimers alike Diana Curtis Quilting 15 January 11th 04 06:20 PM